cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund on unused sim card

usernamedoesntm
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've been looking around and I can't find an answer to this... I purchased a sim card last month, and have NOT activated it yet... can I get a refund for it, or just toss it?

16 REPLIES 16

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @Korth.  So the bottom line, in essence, is that there's really no wait to avoid this iniative, short of moving to another country and/or cancelling all your wireless service(s) and selling your mobile phone(s) on Craigslist/Kijiiji/e-bay/etc.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@usernamedoesntm wrote:

... I was unaware public was part of telus, which supports fairplay internet blocking.

CRTC's "FairPlay Canada Coalition" includes Telus (and Koodo, and Public Mobile), Bell (and Virgin, and Lucky, and Bell MTS), Rogers (and Fido, and Chatr, and Cityfone), Shaw (and Freedom).  In all of their digital media - cable, telecomm, datacomm, internet, wired and wireless networking, broadcast, and cellular.  For what it's worth - Apple, Netflix, and Google/YouTube are also on board (at least as far as imposing their own DRM standards on media content they provide).  I'm sure Microsoft will find a way to claim some ownership (and control) as well, as always.

There are of course about a dozen little wireless providers around, although each of them services only a small region of Canada ... and they're all regulated by the CRTC anyhow so the policies of the Big Three (Big Four) are the de facto law of the Canadian digital landscape.

I respect (and applaud) your decision ... except that it accomplishes nothing in this instance ... Telus is no better and no worse in this measure than any of the non-Telus alternatives.

danlee
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you are tossing it, mind tossing it to me?  I am new and still checking it out. 🙂

Use the sim card with others phone. Smiley Happy

Sorry, but you're not going to get a refund on this.  You can sell it to someone, give it away, or keep it as extra in caase some day you do decide to use it.

Wouldn’t this be a wonderful thing?

i already support local business, unionized business and products, and Canadian companies.

srlawren

Subscribed, waiting to hear where to go for a provider that doesn't support the Fair Play initiative.  I've been meaning to look into this but haven't had time.  Looking foward to hearing more!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@usernamedoesntm wrote:

not trying to sound snarky, but i don't travel often enough for coverage in other areas to be a major concern for me. It's just a personal decision that I'd sooner pay more elsewhere than support internet censorship.

I respect your decision, of course. Might I ask who you are planning to go with?

No worries, I support that... but as far as I know, the Big 3 companies all support the Fairplay censorship, and also, I see Freedom's owner does too.

Which provider are you with that doesn't?  I'd be happy to take a look at their packages also.

usernamedoesntm

not trying to sound snarky, but i don't travel often enough for coverage in other areas to be a major concern for me. It's just a personal decision that I'd sooner pay more elsewhere than support internet censorship.

Ah... thanks @koimr1, so I wonder which provider our friend is using... 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker wrote:

So, unless I'm wrong, you're going to be a Freedom Mobile subscriber?  Too bad, this network is better across the populated areas of the coutry - yours' isn't.

Shaw supports the FairPlay proposal as well so not much choice available since all of the Big Three do too.

pasvac
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

you can sell it on ebay 

i've bought my sims cards on it

Cat Tongue i'm not a moderator Smiley Tongue

So, unless I'm wrong, you're going to be a Freedom Mobile subscriber?  Too bad, this network is better across the populated areas of the coutry - yours' isn't.

usernamedoesntm

No, i won't be using it. When purchased I was unaware public was part of telus, which supports fairplay internet blocking. Thanks anyway, to the trash it goes.

SD08

Sorry, there are no refunds on unused SIMs.  I'd advise keeping it in case you find a PM plan to your liking later on, or sell the SIM to someone.

Need Help? Let's chat.