cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reception on Lake Nipissing ?

taylorharrison
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My mother in law wants to switch to PM , but needs to make sure she can make / receive emergency calls from her location on the lake . 

Can the community offer some insight..

13 REPLIES 13

boundless

@taylorharrison wrote:

You obviously don't have a cottage on Lake Nipissing, the power goes out quite often sometimes for days , so the landline goes down . Nothing wrong with the lines .

Not only is there bad weather - but with all the construction and renos going on in the area, I can’t imagine someone putting a backhoe through the phone line is an uncommon occurrence either. It is not like an urban area by any means.

@taylorharrison wrote:

You obviously don't have a cottage on Lake Nipissing, the power goes out quite often sometimes for days , so the landline goes down . Nothing wrong with the lines .

Landline facilities have their own power supplies, seperate from the regular power grid. During a power failure, landlines can still be used, although I will admit that power does eventually run out too.  People don't usually purchase these types of devices these days, but phones that don't have to be plugged in the wall outlet will stil work during power outages.

@taylorharrison wrote:

Is she using a cordless phone?

If so, perhaps a corded phone will work better.

taylorharrison

@taylorharrison wrote:

Thanks for the feedback , in response to the emergency calls , my mother in law wants to be able to be able to make calls if or when her land line goes down , which often happens on the lake. 

Her landline shouldn't be going down on a regular basis, even during times of poor weather. If it is, there is something wrong with the condition of the wiring (whether inside or outside), and she should have it repaired.

taylorharrison

She wants to come over to PM , my whole family is in pm, she is elderly and just is a little nervous about the calling situation. I'm sure eventually she will come over .

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@taylorharrison  If there's reception from any provider the cell phone will connect to it when an emergency (911) call is made even if it is from PM. I suppose a satellite phone might solve the problem if you are truly concerned, but of course this may not be cost-effective

@taylorharrison 

Does anyone else use cell phones nearby? If they are with Telus, Koodo, Bell, Virgin or Lucky, they all share the same cell towers. Do note that PM uses strictly 3G network for calling wheres other providers may use 4G and support VoLTE.

There's no long term obiligation with PM.

You can signup with PM on the lowest priced plan ($15) and try it out.

If she is happy with the service, you can port in her number at any time.

taylorharrison

Thanks for the feedback , in response to the emergency calls , my mother in law wants to be able to be able to make calls if or when her land line goes down , which often happens on the lake. 

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Emergency calls can be made, received, with any provider. A sim card isn't even needed to do this.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@taylorharrison wrote:

My mother in law wants to switch to PM , but needs to make sure she can make / receive emergency calls from her location on the lake . 

Can the community offer some insight..

If she is able to make emergency calls from the lake with her phone now, she will continue to do so regardless of which cell provider she is with.

All cell phones can make emergency calls if connected to a cell tower. You do not need a SIM card in your phone to make emergency calls.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM uses the same cell towers as Bell and Telus.  Coverage should be good.

https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Our_network_coverage

Glenn1

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Looks good but there is a caution there.

Need Help? Let's chat.