cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving international text messages with emojis

Jadebug
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Has anyone encountered any issues receiving international texts with emojis? Every time I receive an international text with an emoji, the entire message transforms into a bunch of Korean characters. The problem is only unidirectional and I haven't encountered it with local numbers. Both phones are the same brand and I doubt it's an app problem as I'm the only one having this issue. 

Screencap of my phone 

Screenshot_20190407-182002__01.jpg

Screencap of correspondant's phoneScreenshot_20190407-182634__01.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@819cookie wrote:

It also has to do with the phone/ 

Which phone do you have and which does your friend have?

Like sometimes my iphone cant get the emojis of the android phone

A good suggestion for general reading of the thread but the OP said the brands of question were the same.

I have a BB OS10 and my spouse has an iPhone. The iPhone doesn't get my texted emojis. The iPhone does get some from a Nokia Windows Phone 8.1.

Jadebug

@819cookie wrote:

It isn't in this case. We both have oneplus phones, it's not rooted, and we both tend to use the default applications. 

819cookie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Jadebug

@Tiprix

Thanks. I already notified my correspondent to avoid sending them, but knowing the cause is always nice. 

Tiprix
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I found someone else who had a similar issue.  They identified it was likely caused by either/both character encoding incompatibility and/or wrong character encoding.  The recommended solution would be for the recipient to try and change the messaging app or the sender to avoid to use emoji.  A more detailed explanation is found in the previously mentioned link.

Jadebug

@geopublic 

Both our systems and keyboards are set English (US).

The messages are coming from Barbados. 

@Dogbert

I don't think it's a Unicode problem because the entire message gets distorted, even if the emoji is at the end of the text.

Edit: An added note, the problem I'm having is exclusive to text messaging. It doesn't manifest itself when communicating with that same contact on any other platform.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It sounds like your friend is using a different keyboard character set than you are.  Make sure you've both set your phones to the same keyboard/language set (example: Canadian English).

Emoji's are based on unicode and when the unicode encoding is different on both ends; you don't always see what the sender wants you to see.

img_58c70d0b40691

More Information: Why Don’t My Friends See My Emoji Correctly?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

What languages do you have installed on your phone?

What country is the text coming from?

Need Help? Let's chat.