cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving delayed text messages

adobochad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I've been experiencing some weird issues when it comes to receiving messages. It seems to be delayed, or coming in whenever another set of text messages have come in.

Here's an example.

textme.pngtext1.png

Here is some messages I have sent. On the left are messages I have sent. And on the right is the person I am messaging to.

As you can see, I sent a couple messages at around 1:40 pm, and then another text at about 2:12 pm. I suspected that this issue was occuring, so I sent another message to double check.

However, if you check the picture on the right, you can see that the messages are clearly separated. And the person replying to me DID reply to me, it just wasn't until after I texted back, and THEN I received(picture on the left) all the messages at once.

I believe this been happening for a while, but I don't know what's causing it. and it is not all the time.

Basic specs: On Google pixel 2 xl, Public Mobile Carrier

Things I have I tried:

1) restarting my phone.

2) removing and re-inserting my SIM card

3) removing and re-installing my SMS app (textra).

I'm not quite sure how I can resolve this issue, but I am looking forward to seeing if anyone had any similar issues, or perhaps it's a hardware issue, and I require another SIM.

However, I can make and take calls all the time with no problem...

Thanks all!

14 REPLIES 14

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

At the time she had no data, just talk and text. I grabbed the plan that added 1 GB of data and haven't heard about the notification anymore. Never got a chance to find out if it was device or network related

@Karnbot13 wrote:

Doesn't data need to be enabled to send MMS messages?

Yes, a data connection is need for MMS, but not for SMS.

Karnbot13

Doesn't data need to be enabled to send MMS messages?

@Karnbot13 wrote:

My stepdaughter had the same issue with her phone. I had to escalate to the mods with the times and numbers of the messages to get it resolved. It appears to be fixed, as I haven't heard any complaints from her. She was getting a notification to sign into the network on a regular basis but it didn't appear to affect anything, probably just a result of the OS

The mesaage about needing to sign into Public Mobile can sometimes be displayed if you have data enabled within the phone device's settings but you either do not have data included in your plan or that you have run out of plan data.

Karnbot13

@adobochad wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@adobochad wrote:

Hi all, update. I don't believe it has anything to do with my SMS app at all (Textra).

I deleted all my messages with the previous contact (24k) on the stock messaging app.

I then deleted and uninstalled Textra. I reinstalled textra with stock settings, and I'm still getting late texts...

EDIT: I've been putting this off, I'm just going to stop using textra altogether! And just use stock app 😞 RIP custom vibration patterns

So the problem was Textra. Good to know and thanks for the update.

Hi, unfortunately that is NOT the case. I've been using the stock messaging app for a few houurs, and i'm still getting the problem

My stepdaughter had the same issue with her phone. I had to escalate to the mods with the times and numbers of the messages to get it resolved. It appears to be fixed, as I haven't heard any complaints from her. She was getting a notification to sign into the network on a regular basis but it didn't appear to affect anything, probably just a result of the OS

adobochad

@geopublic wrote:

@adobochad wrote:

Hi all, update. I don't believe it has anything to do with my SMS app at all (Textra).

I deleted all my messages with the previous contact (24k) on the stock messaging app.

I then deleted and uninstalled Textra. I reinstalled textra with stock settings, and I'm still getting late texts...

EDIT: I've been putting this off, I'm just going to stop using textra altogether! And just use stock app 😞 RIP custom vibration patterns

Hi, unfortunately that is NOT the case. I've been using the stock messaging app for a few houurs, and i'm still getting the problem

@adobochad wrote:

adobochad

adobochad

Thanks, I've just backed up, then deleted the messages on my phone. I've cleared it on the stock app as well, we'll see if that does the trick...

@adobochad wrote:

Thanks, I did check that actually. And it's not the case. And it seems to be happening for possibly tis one person. However, they are on Rogers, so I don't think carrier is an issue there!

The problem with this is that it doesn't happen all the time. It's only intermittent. 

I can verify the message receipts though!

Also, it seems to only happen with this person. It might be bias because I text this person all the time. Probably 90% of texts, so it may be because of that. Also, odd offshoot, but we also have alot of messages between us, Textra says about 24k. Do you think that for whatever reason, messages could be weird if there is like parsing or something via the messages?

Suggestion: To eliminate the possibility of reaching some type of limit within Textra just switch the default SMS app from Textra to Google Messages temporarily and test again. If the problem does not occur then the issue is Textra make the developer aware of the problem so that maybe he can fix it.

@adobochad wrote:

Thanks, I did check that actually. And it's not the case. And it seems to be happening for possibly tis one person. However, they are on Rogers, so I don't think carrier is an issue there!

The problem with this is that it doesn't happen all the time. It's only intermittent. 

Also, it seems to only happen with this person. It might be bias because I text this person all the time. Probably 90% of texts, so it may be because of that. Also, odd offshoot, but we also have alot of messages between us, Textra says about 24k. Do you think that for whatever reason, messages could be weird if there is like parsing or something via the messages?

@adobochad(I know you may have already done some of this) but on both phones delete each others full contact card from contacts, delete the conversaions of each other from the messenging app, and also the convo from the stock messenging app they might be synced and deleteing it from textra doesn't delete it from the stock app database, then clear the cache and data from all texting apps, restart your phone and re-add each other on both phones to contact list that may fix the problem especially in a case where there were 24k messeges

adobochad

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@adobochad  Check your power management settings, and power savings for that app. Especially since it's not the native texting app so the phone might be doing some sort of queud background processing.

If after removing power savings still have the issue try the stock messenging app, make sure the persons sent box shows the same time, they might have also had that message not send till later. It may not be "receive delayed" it may be "sent delayed"

Also, does that person happend to be on wind (freedom) mobile? Because thats a big problem with their network among many other issues. Never heard of it on the public mobile (bell/telus) side of things.

Need Help? Let's chat.