cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive call while travelling (via Skype?)

echf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sadly, Public Mobile still don't offer roaming service in most countries.

If I want to receive calls while I am travelling, what should I do?

I am thinking of getting a virtual phone number and forward my Public Mobile number to it

so that I can recieve calls via Skype. I found some companies, but it cost $5-10 per month. 

Do you guys thinks it worth it? Are there any cheaper and better solution? 

9 REPLIES 9

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@miiptt wrote:

they have cheap travel packages i believe for the US.  note that SMS still works when in the states on the regular package.

From their site:

Long Distance

$8 for 200 mins and $15 for 400 mins (includes international--US long distance). Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle.

These plans are only designed to be used while in Canada to be able to call out to other countries. These plans are not designed to be used while in USA

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Another vote for Fongo but I also get a local SIM when I travel.

In Europe SIM cards were dirt cheap and unlimited data was very cheap. Also, I can't remember the provider but I had one provider that worked for Switzerland, Germany, and Italy.

You can also get a Travel SIM from a company like KnowRoaming although it's a bit more expensive...

Either way, hope you have a great trip!!!

miiptt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

they have cheap travel packages i believe for the US.  note that SMS still works when in the states on the regular package.

From their site:

Long Distance

$8 for 200 mins and $15 for 400 mins (includes international--US long distance). Any unused minutes will roll over to your next cycle.

paulie

The Fogno or TextNow would be good options for a voip type solution.  As long as you had a local SIM to get some kind of data plan or go with free wifi where ever you travel to.

I personally use fongo (aka: freephoneline.ca) to handle my voicemail.  I have my cell# set up to forward to Fongo number.  Then it records the voicemail.  Then I use the voicemail to email feature to send the voicemail to my email account (comes in as recording as an attachment).  

As a  quick search I found this if you travel a lot.  I don't know how well it works.  http://skypeincanada.ca/

echf

Thanks all

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Another vote for fongo. its free, just forward your number before you leave canada and all is good.  Lots of places in europe have free wifi. but i second/third getting a local sim.  much depends however how long you will bi in a specific country and if you are doing multiple countries.  

Fongo was nice because you  can see missed calls when you were offline ,  and you can recieve sms (you need to tell ppl your fongo number) , you cant send sms unless you pay for service).  you can even forward your PM sms using a sms forwarding  app but your PM sim needs to stay in canada in a spare phone and be plugged in.

@Mana wrote:
Using a local sim is usually the cheapest way, if wifi is not available.

Another vote for local SIM over here.  Unless you are a constant world traveller, it hardly makes sense spending any money except for when out of the country.  That said, I long for the day when the ubiquitous phone number is retired.  It has outlived its usefulness.  We need a contact identity that is more portable and not issued by and tied to a carrier.  Think of back in the day when email accounts were provided exclusively by the internet providers.  Today, most people opt for alternate email accounts so that switching providers does not affect the flow of emails.  Well, I think the phone number will ultimately meet the same fate as the isp supplied email account. 

Mana
Mayor / Maire
Using a local sim is usually the cheapest way, if wifi is not available.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Depends where you are going. If you will have wifi most of the time, fongo is a way to go. Otherwise, you will want local sim with the plan that suit you the best.

Need Help? Let's chat.