cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Calls

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm in Montreal and been getting automated calls in Chinese.  Last week got one from a local Montreal number. Yesterday it came from Ottawa.  Both times it was a female voice. Not Chinese so don't know what it was about.  Any one else getting Chinese automated calls from different Canadian cities?

12 REPLIES 12

kevindo27
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m also getting random calls from China as well. Best thing to do is block every number they call from, and hoping they won’t change numbers when calling you. 

Em-735
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was getting similar calls on my old Toronto number in the summer (different carrier, not PM), I believe most of the calls came from Toronto as well, and it sounded like a woman yelling or speaking quickly in Chinese (I don't speak any Chinese either so I don't know the content of the messages).

I've moved and am no longer using the Toronto number frequently, and since haven't recieved the Chinese robocalls myself.

According to this article, https://globalnews.ca/news/4314076/police-warn-scam-calls-targeting-chinese-community-ottawa/, this has been a pretty common scam in the Ottawa area, as well as in Vancouver, meant to extort money from the members of the Chinese community. One of the scams is to convince them that they've been implicated in a crime back in China, and that they need to go into hiding and not answer their phones or social media. The scammers then tell the family members that this person has been kidnapped, and try to get randsom money. There have been quite a few of these virtual kidnapping schemes in large Canadian cities, mostly targetting Chinese international students.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I get tons of calls from Americans calling for Health Insurance. I'm one digit away Blue Cross/Shield. 1-800-7AB-CDEF vs. 1-807-7AB-CDEF . I also get a ton of calls (mostly creditors) looking for whoever had this number before me. I debated changing my number but I already had business cards printed before this started happening.

tehowennathe

Seems like the Galaxy J5 only has block option

mattpeterss

To report a previous caller, you can do this.

1. a). Tap on Phone icon from the Home screen.
  2. b). Tap on Log.
  3. c). Tap on the Call number that you want to report the spam on call log list.
  4. d). Tap on More.
  5. e). Tap on Report number.
  6. f). Select an Item from the available options.
  7. g). Tap on Report.

For when someone calls that is suspicious, I've attached some examples below.
Turn this on to have Samsung help you screen callsTurn this on to have Samsung help you screen callsThis is where you see a quicker way to block/report a numberThis is where you see a quicker way to block/report a numberThe different screens depending on how spam callers are reportedThe different screens depending on how spam callers are reported

tehowennathe

I have a Galaxy J5 international version.  How is that done?

mattpeterss

If you have a Samsung phone, you can tag it as Spam, and the next time someone gets a call from the number they'll be warned. And block it too 🙂

tehowennathe

I literally blocked 5 numbers with the similar recording. 1 from Ottawa and 4 from Montreal. 

srturk

block the numbers as soon as you realize what they are, sometimes when the call doesnt go thru multiple time to the number- they stop calling your phone. 

tehowennathe

At first I thought it was my sister in law as she got a new number but voice seemed rather similar to the Montreal call. 

We also have gotten random chinese calls the last several months.  I did not bother to check which  city that it orginated from.  Just hanged up.  Likely scam calls....  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tehowennathe, members in my family who are not on Public Mobile have reported this exact same situation.  Has happened a couple of times in the past few weeks.

Need Help? Let's chat.