cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about new U.S. plans

hotcakes
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I saw the post about the U.S. Roaming add-ons, but that's not quite the information I need. Or rather, I think it confused me more.

I'm considering switching my dad to Public Mobile. He has specific needs that I think are now covered by the plan updates, but I need to confirm before I do the switch. The wording is vague, and there are no details to be found, so that's why I'm posting here.

My dad spends 4 months a year in Florida. He really only uses his phone for calling and very rarely texting. If I sign him up with the new "Canada-Wide and U.S." talk and "Global" text options, will he be able to use his phone normally while he is in Florida (just without data)? And when he returns to Canada, the only thing that would change is he would have access to data. Right? Looking for a reply from someone "official" on this.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

@hotcakes This is the solution, as used by my sister: convert to a data only plan with a "smartphone", get the app/account from fongo.com (or Google Hangouts) and purchase the texting add-on. In Canada the data plan roams everywhere, in Florida  treat it like a "home phone" and just use it on wifi.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/How-to-replace-the-old-90-day-90-plan/m-...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
No need for officials on this one 🙂

hotcakes
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

That's all I needed to know. So the talk plans are all for calling "to" not calling "from". That should be made clear on the page. 

No need for further replies. Thanks.

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If your dad is ok with getting a new phone number and does a lot of calling while in Florida, he could get this.  The downside is that he will be paying for 2 plans to keep his Canadian number.

https://www.roammobility.com/snowbird-plans

If he wants to keep his cell number the same he will have to stick with 1st and 2nd tier vendors since US roaming only works on public mobile when you purchase an add-on

imcphers
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The new US roaming is sold in 10 day increments - this would be a very expensive way for him to keep his number in Florida.

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

the Canada-Wide and U.S is not a new plan. It is:

When you are in CANADA, you can call anywhere in Canada and the US for free. The second you step into the US your phone stops working unless you buy an addon (which those are new for US roaming).

I am not offical but that is what it is. 

Need Help? Let's chat.