cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Multiple Entries in the Happy Valentine’s Day! ontest

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I noticed under the Spoiler section under section 1 that only one entry is allowed per person. The question @Tiana_V is will the entrants with multiple entries be allowed to delete, strike out the content and still be eligible, or are they now ineligible. Thanks.

Valentines Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

1.       HOW TO ENTER & ELIGIBILITY 
    No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share, in the Public Mobile Community post, how they show their loved ones that they care about them. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant. 
33 REPLIES 33

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@gblackma wrote:

@danielj I don't see why asking for clarification on a rule is such a problem here. If there is the appearance of impropriety . It's better to get it clarified and an official reply on the matter. 

@darlicious my mom doesn't give a hoot who one the previous contest and I'm sure that she will accept @Tiana_V 's explanation when she comes on tomorrow. Currently busy looking at Murdock Mysteries.

@Tiana_V Thanks for setting us straigjt on the process used.

@gblackma Again, where are you getting that anybody is saying that asking for clarification on a rule is a problem. That is what most of us were trying to do.

But there is no point of us arguing about it. We asked for clarification and we could leave it as that until we get a response instead of going on tangent about how one opinion or version of the rule is potentially better than another.

Clarification has come out accept it and be done with it.

fujiyama

I think the method @darlicious initially described is the most (or only) logical way to hold these types of contests. This method is used often enough online that all exploits should be "patched" by now, IMO. But I also agree that mods should have provided better/more detailed terms.

I have some suggestions for future contests:

1. Make a separate "Contests" forum where post count and bravos are disabled.

2. Restrict it so that only Mods can create threads there.

3. Better yet, restrict users so that they can only post once in each contest thread.

Not sure if #3 can be done with Khoros but #1 and 2 should be doable.

Maybe the Mods will reveal their current drawing method and make my suggestions unnecessary Robot LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

Look...this is all pure speculation/conjecture.

Until we know the exact mechanics of how they conduct these little contests...we just don't know where the rules get applied. I can read the rules. I can interpret the rules. Evidently my interpretation is different from what the company actually does. And again...we don't know exactly what they do. But clearly they don't care about multiple posts in the contest thread. Apparently even multiple "entries" as you figured out. So why even say one entry per person when they don't appear to conduct the contest under that rule alone.

Maybe they would never come out and say exactly what they do for reasons of avoiding people gaming their methodology. Dunno.

* I sold some things in the states (privately) and took an Amazon egift card in payment. Redeemed it and sent the goods.

@Anonymous  I think we disagree on what an official entry is......i don't consider responding to another members post an entry. If the intent of entry is to share what you do to show your love that's your entry. Replying to post with: "No you won't lose your add on." Or " Your post really shows how much you love your wife." I don't consider those an entry as they don't fulfill all the requirements of the contest. But I do agree that members should not post multiple entries that fulfill the requirements of the contest. (Even if only one is entered by the computer.) Which is why I brought up the #PDA contest because it's the only time I noticed multiple "valid" entries by one individual who eventually won. Where as there are multiple posts seeking help and the ensuing responses in that thread but do not include the #PublicMobilePDA.

* Redeeming the Amazon gift card requires me to create an Amazon account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : if the company, in its infinite wisdom, deems someone a winner then who am I to say.

I think the company isn't doing it right/fair/not abiding by their own stated rules. That PDA contest was also one entry per person. More power to those that go ahead and exploit that. MY integrity doesn't let me do that. The rule says one entry per person. I submit one entry. There. My loss because I'm abiding by the rules where others aren't and that they're winning doing so. That's all on the company. I think allowing people to submit more than one entry to increase their odds of being that supposedly randomly selected entry is the wrong way to conduct a draw.

I'm entirely surprised you haven't added the award to your Amazon account yet.

@danielj I don't see why asking for clarification on a rule is such a problem here. If there is the appearance of impropriety . It's better to get it clarified and an official reply on the matter. 

@darlicious my mom doesn't give a hoot who one the previous contest and I'm sure that she will accept @Tiana_V 's explanation when she comes on tomorrow. Currently busy looking at Murdock Mysteries.

@Tiana_V Thanks for setting us straigjt on the process used.

@Anonymous  Seeing as you have to have a valid account and any discrepancy over who can claim the prize is decided by whom the email is owned by determines that an entry is the email. One entry per email. Im sure the computer program can easily sort out and only enter one email entry into the contest. Do you think members are "gaming" the computer program somehow?

If you really want to be concerned about a contest having more than one "official" entry why not concentrate your efforts on the #PDA contest. Not only did it have a substantial prize (value $600.) It also required the #PublicMobilePDA to be an official entry. Multiple posts in the thread would obviously not be considered entries if it didn't include the hashtag (#). One of the winners of that contest had four official entries that included #PublicMobilePDA. An obvious attempt at more than one entry versus multiple replies or an accidental double posting.

If anyone truly feels that I unfairly won the $50 amazon e-giftcard in the new years resolution contest because i responded to posts in that thread i will happily give it back. Its sitting in my email so easily returned. My integrity is worth a million times more than the prize and the pettiness that public mobile cannot run a simple contest that would break federal legislation governing fairness and transperancy in the running of contests/competitions.

danielj

@gblackma wrote:

@danielj this is the discussion board, not the lounge. This is for PM related topics that don't fit elsewhere. And both my mom and I have asked for clarification from the @CS_Agent and @Tiana_V since its her post and rule. I disagree, the number of entries do imply ill will.

The first thing a rational person does is read the rules of a contest. You do this, especially in these times to make sure that there is nothing in them that may bite you in the back. And then you follow them. It's that simple.  Choosing to ignore them implies some form of penalty. In this case, ineligibility .

For clarification @danielj are you saying that its your opinion that the contest rules here at PM are merely guidelines?

@gblackmaWhere are you getting the notion that anybody is saying the rules are simple guidelines.

What it simple is, is a promotional draw for the prizes for individual winners being ralitively immaterial. For the people that get so overly concerned about it they just need to calm down and continue to enough Public Mobile Service.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tiana_V wrote:

Any subsequent posts on the thread from a user do not count as entries. Thus, everyone who replies to the thread gets only one chance to have their name drawn. 

mmmmmmmm..yeah but...it could still increase ones odds where that random selection is one of the many submitted. I guess it still depends on the actual methodologies you guys are using. I don't suppose you'd be interested in explaining it all?

Thanks for replying though @Tiana_V .

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

@zblackma wrote:

I noticed under the Spoiler section under section 1 that only one entry is allowed per person. The question @Tiana_V is will the entrants with multiple entries be allowed to delete, strike out the content and still be eligible, or are they now ineligible. Thanks.

What qualifies as an 'entry' is a post replying to the initial contest which follows the prompt (in the case of the current contest that is "how do you show you care?") and is posted by a current Public Mobile customer. Any subsequent posts on the thread from a user do not count as entries. Thus, everyone who replies to the thread gets only one chance to have their name drawn. 

zblackma

This is my second contest here, in both of them, as per the stated rule, I have only entered once. As have most of the other entrants. @CS_Agent or @Tiana_V  . Will there be some form of clarification on this? How are multiple entries treated? Thank you.

@danielj this is the discussion board, not the lounge. This is for PM related topics that don't fit elsewhere. And both my mom and I have asked for clarification from the @CS_Agent and @Tiana_V since its her post and rule. I disagree, the number of entries do imply ill will.

The first thing a rational person does is read the rules of a contest. You do this, especially in these times to make sure that there is nothing in them that may bite you in the back. And then you follow them. It's that simple.  Choosing to ignore them implies some form of penalty. In this case, ineligibility .

For clarification @danielj are you saying that its your opinion that the contest rules here at PM are merely guidelines?

danielj

@gblackma wrote:

So @computergeek541 how many extra posts in such a contest is enough before it becomes cheating? 3, 4 , 5 , 10? Why put a rule in a contest and then choose to ignore it @Tiana_V ? The lounge is for building community spirit @darlicious .

If the lounge is for building community spirit than why are we using it to argue about a rule and in one way be posting things that are putting each other down. We should have made points or arguments but the only real way to get this settled is for someone from the @CS_Agent  to see our request for clarification and have the Public Mobile Team make an official ruling and posting.

If it is that only one of the multiple posts gets entered into the draw or that you get disqualified for making multiple post if we do not agree with somebody else option it does not mean that they are not entitled to there opinion.It is also fairly immaterial prizes as well why be so aggressive with each other. Let us try to continue to make Public Mobile and the community a better place. Let us not make the community a place for free for all arguments.

With the hole multiple post thing we can see what is being posted and see the history of post of the community member and to a degree to able to look at other factors to attempted to evaluate the extant of ill-will. The number of posts alone would likely not be sufficient information to evaluate the extant of ill-will.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@zblackma

"Only one entry per person accepted."

I'm guessing this means the first entry will be accepted (valid) and subsequent entries will be ignored (invalid). It's the easiest way to manually or. automatically implement the process (record the name and entry, ignore other entries from same name). It also preempts the user strategy of expecting/hoping the "best" entry from multiple submissions will be selected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem of letting people post multiple times in a random draw is that they increase their odds. Out of 1000 responses say, that person posts say 20 times. Then one of those posts gets randomly selected. Oh so now it's one entry? No. It shouldn't be. As evidenced by the odd person coming forward saying they won and that they posted multiple times...it seems the company doesn't abide by their rule. They should. Then just call it as it really is...a free for all. Enter as often as you like. No one cares.

So...one real actual person enters once. That's the rule. An entry is a reply/post. Only once. Put in more "ballots" in the "draw box" and you get disqualified. Draw another name. Did they only do one entry? Yup. Contact/verify/test/award. Draw another name. Did they only do one entry? Hey no they had all these replies. Nuh uh. Draw another name.

The draw thread isn't a support thread. Questions from newbs can be extracted to let the question be answered. If a newb has already entered and then they ask a question in the thread...disqualify. If someone answers that question that has already entered...disqualify.

Sure...force one reply. Will they figure out how to make that happen in Khoros? Not likely. Will they check for multiple posts? Not likely apparently. 🙂

@gblackma wrote:

So @computergeek541 how many extra posts in such a contest is enough before it becomes cheating? 3, 4 , 5 , 10? Why put a rule in a contest and then choose to ignore it @Tiana_V ? The lounge is for building community spirit @darlicious .

@gblackma    HA! After today I would say the lounge is a dispiriting dungeon!  The lounge is for socializing....please share your definition of the discussion category?

@gblackma wrote:

If someone makes 1 post or 5 posts in a contest thread, Public Mobile should be counting that as one entry. I'm almost certain that's how it's being done, but if it isn't, that's something that Public Mobile would need to implement. 

If we're going to go as far as to disqualify members then get rid of the ability to reply to posts. You get one reply to the original post and that's it. No commenting, no encouraging others, no building community spirit just stick your name in a hat and be done with it.

@Anonymous wrote:

@zblackma wrote:

Valentines Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

No Purchase Necessary.  To enter entrants must share, in the Public Mobile Community post, how they show their loved ones that they care about them. Only one entry per person accepted.  No other form of participation is accepted.  In the event of a dispute on the entrant identity, the person who is the holder of the email address specified on the online form will be deemed to be the entrant. 

I think they should be disqualified. Others don't agree. The company doesn't seem to agree. Some say they make a so-called official entry and then post other things in the thread. I say it should be one post per person. If people "manage" multiple accounts then as long as those multiple accounts represent real persons then they are entitled to one entry.

I wouldn't say disqualified just becuase there is a second post by a member in a thread such as this if someone is simply having a discussion with someone else or answering a question. In the past contests, there were instances of people posting multiple identical messages, but Public Mobile should easily be able to only count a username as only being entered once.   

So , it seems that it's okay for certain people here to break the rules. And for the  rest of us who obey them to have to accept that . If someone asks a question, point it out to the Oracle's or private message them and help them.  Gee whiz I have had a moderator called in on me to clarify something I had posted. And the answer by an Oracle no less, is that my mom is crying over spilt milk. Give me a break. 

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

I usually take my time and post my official entry in the contest thread with something to say or show.But I've also commented on other members entries. Is this considered an entry? I don't consider it one. What about when a new member posts a question...and others answer it. Are those entries?This seems to be making something out of nothing. It's one entry per email and a random draw. Geez...you should have made a new years resolution to be lucky!

Maybe we can take this as an admission of guilt.  For the brutal honesty, you should be allowed to select the form of punishment.  What do you think?

Hmmmm.......this seems to be leading to a pie in the face moment.

@darlicious wrote:

I usually take my time and post my official entry in the contest thread with something to say or show.But I've also commented on other members entries. Is this considered an entry? I don't consider it one. What about when a new member posts a question...and others answer it. Are those entries?This seems to be making something out of nothing. It's one entry per email and a random draw. Geez...you should have made a new years resolution to be lucky!

Maybe we can take this as an admission of guilt.  For the brutal honesty, you should be allowed to select the form of punishment.  What do you think?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gblackma 

From what I recall, all these contest draws have had a one entry per person rule.

I guess we would need to know the exact method that the company is using for these draws to get an understanding of how fair they are.

I also understand about multiple accounts. That's why I said people would be entitled to an entry.

@will13am 

And lets not exaggerate either 🙂 This is an even "lesser" value draw than the virtual money of the Amazon draws. But it should still be run fairly and rules complied with. The words used are "eligible" and "accepted". Not yeah whatever so you salted the contest with dozens of "entries" but we only drew one of them. Statisticians would be better able to explain how that works.

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I would agree with you if it can be proven that the tiny misstep is filled with ill intentions.  There seems to be a lot of for this kind of desire for vigilante justice here as if every member is out to be evil. Let's whack members for the littlest things and set an example that there's zero tolerance.  

It's not about ill-intentions. It's about not following the rules (as not entirely clear as they are). This is a contest/random draw to win something. The rules to win should be up-held. It's only fair to those that are complying with the rules. What's the point of rules then.

This is not about off-topic "advertising" threads where there could be all kinds of grey.

They could do the draw the way @darlicious explained it.  There are ways other than to DQ people who put in that second post.  We will see if an official statement will be given.  Of course if strict compliance was intended, it would take little to add a clarification that multiple posts results in disqualification.  It's just a community forum and a contest with a small prize.  Let's not make it like life and limb are on the line here.  

👍I agree with @Anonymous , the previous contest in January had no limit upon the amount of entries one could post. So you could enter as many times as you wanted. This one does. So if you enter multiple times using the same community user name you should be disqualified. And I don't agree with @zblackma for offering them what constitutes a mulligan. The rules are the rules, as you constantly tell me mom🤔.

@will13am , @danielj , @darlicious , exactly what is an official entry? And when is an innocent mistake just stacking the contest? More than 2?

@Anonymous  If you have multiple accounts, you can enter multiple times as long as you use a unique community user name that applies to each individual account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

I would agree with you if it can be proven that the tiny misstep is filled with ill intentions.  There seems to be a lot of for this kind of desire for vigilante justice here as if every member is out to be evil. Let's whack members for the littlest things and set an example that there's zero tolerance.  

It's not about ill-intentions. It's about not following the rules (as not entirely clear as they are). This is a contest/random draw to win something. The rules to win should be up-held. It's only fair to those that are complying with the rules. What's the point of rules then.

This is not about off-topic "advertising" threads where there could be all kinds of grey.

@Anonymous wrote:

@zblackma wrote:

Valentines Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

I think they should be disqualified. Others don't agree. The company doesn't seem to agree. Some say they make a so-called official entry and then post other things in the thread. I say it should be one post per person. If people "manage" multiple accounts then as long as those multiple accounts represent real persons then they are entitled to one entry.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zblackma wrote:

Valentines Day Contest
CONTEST RULES

Need Help? Let's chat.