cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for a potential new customer

sebm19
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was thinking about getting the Iphone SE and was wondering if it will work with public mobile as I have heard of problems with Iphone. Also I was wondering if they are allowed to charge us more after the 90 day is up! any info would be greatly appreciated!

11 REPLIES 11

skidoomaster

Yes @sebm19 it is extremely easy to setup the APN. All you have to do is visit http://unlockit.co.nz from the iPhone and choose the country and carrier (Canada, Public Mobile). Then you click "Create APN" and it will redirect you to the phone's settings where the rest will be done automatically. It takes 1-2 minutes and after this you will be able to use your phone fully.

PS: If this answered your question please mark it as the solution.

sebm19

Is it easy to setup APN? I am buying it from Kijiji and the guy says its unlocked (I will check to make sure). 

sebm19

Haha sorry! that is exactly what I meant, Thank you 🙂

skidoomaster

@sebm19 As long as the iPhone is unlocked (which it would be if you are buying directly from Apple) or locked to Telus/Koodo it is compatible with the Public Mobile Network. I currently use an iPhone 5C and have experienced no difficulties whatsoever. All of my texts and picture messages go through, as well as my iMessages over Data and other Data usage. The only thing you will have to do is setup your APN settings; this can be done manually (http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/iPhone-Update-and-APN-settings/m-p/1610#...) or automatically by visiting http://unlockit.co.nz on your iPhone.

Hope This Helps

TroyDaBes
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There shouldn't be any problem. It will work perfectly fine. Just make sure that the device is unlocked and locked to a specific carrier. That will really cause a problem. 

JaK
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sebm19 wrote:

haha yeah I figured, Also quick question: Lets say I go for the province calling plan and I'm in Ontario and cross over to Quebec and call someone:

1. with a Quebec number

-If in Quebec and call someone in Quebec, that will go through with only province calling.

2. with an Ontario number

- If in Quebec and call Ontario (even if it is your home province), that will require a LD add-on. Note add-ons do not expire at the end of your 90 day cycle, the remaining roll over until completely used up.

Also note that there is some amount of leeway for Ontario/Quebec calling in the National Capital region.

will it still be under my plan?

3. Also how will I know when I cross into another province will the call not go through or will I be charged? and if so how much $?

- If you cross into another province the call will not go through (unless you have LD add-on minutes available, in which case you are simply deducted the number of minutes used).

JaK

Also, @sebm19, not sure what you meant by "I was wondering if they are allowed to charge us more after the 90 day is up". PM uses pre-paid services, so you buy a specific set of services for 90 days. PM does not charge oveages, so if you are trying to use something that is not part of your plan or already used up, it simply won't go through (but you can buy add-ons to take care of that). Once the 90 days are up you need to buy another 90 days prepaid, however while there is no guarentee that it will be at the same rate PM just anounced new rate plans today so they are likely to remain the same for some time (and PM also has a history of grandfathering users to old rate plans, but that too is not guarenteed).

Hope this helps, and (potentially) welcome to Public Mobile!

sebm19

haha yeah I figured, Also quick question: Lets say I go for the province calling plan and I'm in Ontario and cross over to Quebec and call someone:

1. with a Quebec number

2. with an Ontario number

will it still be under my plan?

3. Also how will I know when I cross into another province will the call not go through or will I be charged? and if so how much $?

JaK

Just a small correction, @PBForMe mentions unlocked or locked to Telus/Bell, beleive what he meant was locked to Telus/Koodo, locked to Bell will not work.

sebm19

Great thanks a lot! will definitely look into it! 🙂

PBForMe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The iPhone SE will work fine provided it is unlocked or a Telus/Koodo locked model would also be fine. 

If you select autopay your plan will be renewed automatically after 90 days, if not you'll have to renew it yourself or the account will be suspended. 

PM will never charge additional fees, you pay once for your plan and/or addons and thats it.

EDIT: @JaK is correct Koodoo not Bell I need sleep. Smiley LOL

Need Help? Let's chat.