cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about this Koodo offer for Fall 2016 Promo customers

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sorry, I hate adding to the noise but didn't want my question to get buried in the current threads.

I am on the mentioned plan however I moved last summer when it was targetted to Freedom customers only.

Has anyone else received this text also on the same plan but came over in June of last year and not in the fall of 2016? As of this second I have not received the text nor have two family members also on the same plan.

Specifically, this is the $120/12GB/90 plan.

I know I should wait for things to quiet down a bit but I have several trips planned over the next few weeks so need to get things planned ahead of time. Smiley Indifferent

80 REPLIES 80

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@tom3204wrote:

Nah. They said the price wouldn't go up and then it did. Pretty sure that's an advertising standards issue that fine print in a terms of service can't override. At very least, it's unethical and the company should be called out for it so that other companies don't start treating people like this too.

You're ignoring facts. That may work in your circle of friends but it won't fly in a court of law. Welcome to the real world.

tom3204
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Nah. They said the price wouldn't go up and then it did. Pretty sure that's an advertising standards issue that fine print in a terms of service can't override. At very least, it's unethical and the company should be called out for it so that other companies don't start treating people like this too.

amallya
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Fido is actually a pretty good option, if you also get the Fido Mastercard. It gives 1.5% cashback on all purchases, one of the best in Canada, and it can be used to reduce fido bills. Also there is no foreign exchange fees when purchasing in foreign currency.

Everybody pissed off by public mobile should consider taking their business to Fido.

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You guys are all crazy. Lets examine these statements made that everyone is quoting right now saying that pm broke.

1.If you have signed up for the promotional plan you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer.

Answer: You DID get to keep it after the promotional period. For a full year to be exact. The last part that says "as long as you are an active customer" isn't a promise for life, it's a condition for keeping the promotional plan after the promo period was over. Which they honored for a year!

2. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan will remain at $120, even after your INITIAL 90 days. No surprises.

Answer: This statement is only a further clarification of what was said earlier. Your plan won't go up after the INITIAL 90 days.............. and it didn't.

In the TOS that shawn posted earlier:

Public Mobile has the right to change ANY terms of service, including rates without notice. Changes become effective 30 days after being posted.

You guys all agreed to these terms by activating your account. End of story.

tom3204

I think the issue comes down to whether or not its legal/ethical for Telus/PM to contradict this in their fine print. Regardless, people will have to decide if they want to do business with a company that believes these business practices are okay.

Udonitron

No surprises eh? 
Unreal...

@sheytoonwrote:

@ewloowrote:

Does anyone have proof they said it wouldn't change?  I was looking for that but now when I think back I remember it was a lot of people saying that based on their past experiences they hadn't experienced any price increases, and it wasn't actual PM employees. 

Yes, see here:1000.png

BigD

This!

Stick around and then fight back with CRTC and CCTS! 

Jamar_so_far

Yessir, Total joke of a company. I've been on the service for only 6 months now...and getting pushed out already. I think I will stay on the plan because having the lump sum data plan is still more appealing than losing free data to lousy koodo at the end of the month. Considering I also had the same terms of that plan, it is definitely false advertising. There is no way I'm getting billed twice by "telus" in the same month while they take my data and plan that I rightfully signed up for. 

Stick around and then fight back with CRTC and CCTS! 

ceecee

I spoke with CCTS in a live chat conversation and the representative told me that nothing can be done until the proposed changes are active.  

Which means that we have two options:

1. We switch to Koodo prior to March 15, 2018 and take them up on their $40/month offer

or

2. We stay with Public Mobile until at least March 20, 2018 for the price to go up by $10/monthly, then file a complaint with CCTS.  Telecom operators are then obliged to reverse the proposed changes.  

It is pretty clear from the wording provided from previous posts (and the attached screenshot) that Public Mobile has promised that the price for this promotion will not change as long as we remain active customers.  So it is very likely we should be able to keep our plans.  

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 3.26.05 PM.png

methyl

@bballstufferwrote:

I think by offering an alternative at Koodo with a plan that is same price and has the same features as the Public Mobile plan, you can argue your plan’s price has not been changed.

What is concerning for a lot of us are our referral credits and the autopay credits that we are getting. Unfortunately I don’t think you will find terms and condition that will guarantee you those credits for life.

It's not same features

A plan with flexibility to spend 1GB in first month, 1GB in second and 10GB in third IS NOT the same as UP TO 4GB in each month.

bballstuffer

I think by offering an alternative at Koodo with a plan that is same price and has the same features as the Public Mobile plan, you can argue your plan’s price has not been changed.

What is concerning for a lot of us are our referral credits and the autopay credits that we are getting. Unfortunately I don’t think you will find terms and condition that will guarantee you those credits for life.

@ewloowrote:

Does anyone have proof they said it wouldn't change?  I was looking for that but now when I think back I remember it was a lot of people saying that based on their past experiences they hadn't experienced any price increases, and it wasn't actual PM employees. 

Yes, see here:1000.png

bballstuffer

I was part of the terms that public mobile put out when they were offering the plan

/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/8490i3E11275E890789B1/image-size/large?v=1.0&px=999

ewloo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

koimr1

@methylwrote:

@koimr1wrote:

Has anyone else received this text also on the same plan but came over in June of last year and not in the fall of 2016? As of this second I have not received the text nor have two family members also on the same plan.

You will get the text after you're billed for 3 months of service, similar to what's happening now to those who signed up in Fall 2016 - vast majority have the service paid up until May

I got the text today after I posted this. My next payment would be March 16 so I am counting that as a possible blessing out of all this.

At least I have a month to decide - I still don't have the full terms of the Koodo deal (I mean what I'll be getting from Koodo should I switch) and whether it still works out to a better deal than just taking the increase here. Man Frustrated

methyl

@koimr1wrote:

You will get the text after you're billed for 3 months of service, similar to what's happening now to those who signed up in Fall 2016 - vast majority have the service paid up until May, forcing them to lose around 2 months of paid service. 

Firepower01
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Really unhappy about this. It was explicitly states MULTIPLE times that rates would not be going up/ I haven't even been on this plan for a whole year and now my rates are increasing? Incredibly disappointed and outraged with PM, will consider switching back to Freedom Mobile again.

jpr3

Submit a CCTS complaint.

jpr3

Same here. I am submitting a CCTS complaint.

Udonitron

My wife and I JUST got this text 5 mins ago!
After referring people etc I pay $34/month or $102 every 3 months for 12GB of data deal that they offered a year ago Nov 2016. 
I was TOLD I would permanently stay on this plan so long as I had my renewal enabled on my payments, which I have done. 
Now it appears they are going against their contractual terms and word and forcing me to move over otherwise face a $16/month increase in fees!?
This has to be illegal and here I was thinking PM was an awesome no frills service who were trying to counteract all the greed and monopolization of the 3 major telecoms sucking us dry. 
Imagine what amount they will be pulling in at $10 per person per month!
Are they now offering phone in support or are we still supporting each other and this is merely a money grab?
Screw you PM...you have proven you are merely a small portion of the larger scum filled pool. Smiley Mad

aip0401

Hey @BigD,

PM is prepaid, so your next bill will be the one with the price increase.

koimr1

Well guys, I've officially joined the party according to the text I just got! Will there be cake and punch?

Now would be a great time for someone else to jump in and snatch up all these disgruntled customers.....

johncross

@bruorwrote:

Just looking into this.  I like the 7/day US roaming and 10/day international roaming.   

Don't like $15 for a sim card,  they could have thrown a free sim in on this incentivized switch. 

In fairness, $7 and $10 roaming is better than PM's, but only for short trips (1-2 days). Still a rip-off for longer, so knowmobile for example has packages that make better sense financially for a week or two, 

Tallguy11

that is a very good idea.. we need to stand up and fight this.. they can't promise one thing and then take it away!

johncross

@Tallguy11wrote:

i received this txt aswell and submitted a complaint to the ccts as well.. this is just underhanded what they are doing.. they clearly stated that there would be no changes or price increases for as long as the account was kept active

Good job! I think all of us should complain. 

Should we post a separate thread about complaints? 

It's ironic isn't it, that we discuss this on the platform provided by PM 🙂

Tallguy11

i received this txt aswell and submitted a complaint to the ccts as well.. this is just underhanded what they are doing.. they clearly stated that there would be no changes or price increases for as long as the account was kept active

Mavi

I did complain. Thanks

bruor

Just looking into this.  I like the 7/day US roaming and 10/day international roaming.   

Don't like $15 for a sim card,  they could have thrown a free sim in on this incentivized switch. 

Watoko

@johncrosswrote:

@Watokowrote:

Submitted a CCTS complaint. I encourage everyone to do the same. Feel free to use or modify my response I sent:

Signed up for the lucrative $40/month for 4 GB LTE data a year ago and was told explicitly that there will no changes to the price of the plan as long as I remain an active customer with an active account. I was notified today through text message that this price will increase $10/month, or switch to Koodo to retain the plan. Switching over to Koodo, however would not make up for the cost of lost referral and loyalty credits, as well as the prepaid services I paid for that would be valid well after the date that this "offer" (if you can even call it that), expires.

That's great! Would you be able to add the link to the complaints page in your post? Not that I am banned by Google, but it would make things easier I think:)

Good suggestion. Will do.

Here it is for your reference: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

Need Help? Let's chat.