cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about area codes

clinton97
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do all public mobile numbers start with area code 289?

5 REPLIES 5

@clinton97 wrote:

No.  Public Mobile has phone numbers available in many area codes.  In this case, 289 is used in "905 areas" in Ontario.  Many area codes also cover mulitple cities.  What citiy are you looking for?

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There are always more and more area codes in Canada: 

• 2012 two new area codes were placed into service in Canada. Quebec implemented area code 873 and Manitoba implemented area code 431.
  • In 2013 four new area codes: Ontario implemented two new area codes 437 and 365, Saskatchewan implemented area code 639 and British Columbia implemented area code 236.
  • In 2014 area code 782 was placed into service to serve Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island 
  • In 2015 area code 825 was put into service to serve Alberta. 
  • In 2016 two area codes were placed into service. Alberta put area code 825 into service and Ontario put area code 548 into service.

So... gone are the days when I could tell "That area code is for this or that city !

Source: https://www.areacodehelp.com/canada/canada_area_codes.shtml

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Area codes are different across the country.  Certain area codes may not have a large selection as all carriers are given a group of n7mbers to distribute.  

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@clinton97 wrote:

No, you can choose an area code from your area / covering your town. It's likely that it will be a newer one for most regions as the traditional area code numbers are all being allocated.

For example if you are in Vancouver getting a new 604 number is essentially impossible, for 778 there might or might not be new numbers availble, so you likely get 236 number or even have the choice for a 672 number. If you are in Powell River? Plenty of 604 numbers available...

http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

Looks like 289 is one of three (365 and 905 being the others) covering the same area

yvinogradov
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

no, I just ported my (613) number to PM, so mine doesn't. I don't think I am the only PM user who has an area code other than 289...

Need Help? Let's chat.