cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting sim in another phone

Uttampreet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So if I set up my sim with a phone and later I get another phone can I just transfer the sim or would I have to follow the instructions as if it was a new sim?

13 REPLIES 13

fonzy35
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Uttampreet wrote:

So if I set up my sim with a phone and later I get another phone can I just transfer the sim or would I have to follow the instructions as if it was a new sim?

Like one previous members said

"There are no issues as long as your new phone is unlocked and compatible with PM network and if it is the same SIM size"

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I feel like Frodo when he turned to Sam and said. "I'm glad that you are here with me" in the Return of the King (I think?).  I for one am glad and thankful for your efforts in helping others.

@6500K wrote:

I'm still astounded by the wealth of knowledge in this forum.  You guys would be the best front-line customer support in the business!

I had a little knowledge before joining here but reading and more reading and yet more reading has really helped me learn a lot and be able to help people.  I do agree the knowledge here is amazing but I don't think any provider could afford us if it were our job lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

I'm still astounded by the wealth of knowledge in this forum.  You guys would be the best front-line customer support in the business!

Jarvar

Thank you @ShawnC13 @wetcoaster for the extra information. That additional information would be very helpful. I believe there have been some posts of people with new phones or unlocked and cleared phones (not blacklisted or reported stolen) but did not work with Public Mobile because they did not have the correct band to connect and use the cellular network that was required. Meaning that a clear IMEI is not the only thing to check for when bringing your own device to work with Public Mobile network.

Thank you again for enriching my post.

@Jarvar wrote:

@Uttampreet

That's a good question. @wetcoaster is correct about just transfering the SIM card to the other phone. The account setting with Public Mobile should already be setup.  One thing you may have to watch out for are the settings though like text messaging if it's an Android phone or iPhone there is a particular APN setting used by Public Mobile.

More details on specific APN settings here:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

Those settings have more to do with what was or is already set on the phone prior to being used with Public Mobile. This would ensure that your Public Mobile Data if you have any on your plan would work properly.

Another good thing to check with the replacement/new phone is check the IMEI to ensure that it would work with Public Mobile before switching over the SIM to ensure compatability.

You can check here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

@Jarvar

Thank you for the additional thoughts!

Please be aware the Public Mobile IMEI checker is only checking whether the phone is blacklisted. For compatibility https://willmyphonework.net/ is the better choice.

Edit: Linking on the phone takes too much time - beaten by @ShawnC13 yet again.

Jarvar

@ShawnC13 makes a good point about the size of the SIM. Sometimes you might have other Multi sized SIM cards already laying around. I have found that if you fit the pieces together like a puzzle you can get around having to get a new SIM. One phone I had used a Micro, but I found someone who had an old triple punch regular SIM card still and I used the the remaining plastic punch out to fit it into the phone without a problem. If you are resourceful, you can continue using the same SIM.

@Jarvar, for network compatibility I would suggest willmyphonework,net as the IMEI checker only checks to see if the phone is on the blacklist as lost or stolen and has responded with incorrect information in the past.  Otherwise great post and thought this would help in the future

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Jarvar

@Uttampreet

That's a good question. @wetcoaster is correct about just transfering the SIM card to the other phone. The account setting with Public Mobile should already be setup.  One thing you may have to watch out for are the settings though like text messaging if it's an Android phone or iPhone there is a particular APN setting used by Public Mobile.

More details on specific APN settings here:

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

Those settings have more to do with what was or is already set on the phone prior to being used with Public Mobile. This would ensure that your Public Mobile Data if you have any on your plan would work properly.

Another good thing to check with the replacement/new phone is check the IMEI to ensure that it would work with Public Mobile before switching over the SIM to ensure compatability.

You can check here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

After you've been using that sim in that phone, you can transfer it easily to another phone as long as the new phone is unlocked.  I've done this many times and you shouldn't have any issues.

If the new phone is locked, then a message will most likely come up asking for an unlock code.  Then you need to contact the seller of that new phone and ask for the unlock code.  If it is Bell Mobility, they will ask you several questions to make sure the phone is not stolen or lost, and then give you the code.

Also, the size of the sim is important.  Make sure you have the original card that the sim came with in case you need to use one of the adapters on it.  The nano sim is the smallest size, while the micro sim is slightly larger .  Hope this helps you.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Uttampreet wrote:

There are no issues as long as your new phone is unlocked and compatible with PM network and if it is the same SIM size.  If you currently have a nano sim and your new phone takes a micro you maybe able to find an adapter so that it will work.  So when shopping for a new SIM also pay attention to the SIM card size that it takes.

HeatherHowe
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

As long as your phone is unlocked you can transfer your sim without any issues. Good luck. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

You can just put the same SIM into another phone without any changes to your account.

All Public Mobile SIMs sold in the past two years are 3-1, keep the unused frames and you can use them as needed when changing phones.

Need Help? Let's chat.