cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile website has a new look and logo!

Poogzley
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 6.10.02 PM.png

41 REPLIES 41

chinaweike
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I believe the new website theme is just for coordination with koodo and telus website.

Dylan3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes the new design looks great and the logo looks good too

Nazrinn

(Apologies for mistakes. English isn't my first language. TL;DR last paragraph.)

I really like the free 1 GB coming with the new design, but as a professional graphic and web designer, this website rebranding confuses me a lot. And I just created a community account just to comment on those new changes.

The old branding was perfectly fine. Apart from the logo that could have used a little bit of refreshment, I found the colors very refreshing. I was even impressed by how the website looked like and I friendly it felt. I absolutely loved the color scheme, and it appealed me a lot as a young adult. It gave me a modern, technologic feel. The illustrations were also top notch; really cute and to my honest opinion, made me feel even a bit happy. ("Yay! Your phone is activated! Thanks for joining Public Mobile. :)"). It was fresh and unique, just like a pack of mints in the morning. "Finally a cellphone company that understands me!" is how it felt to me.

Now the website feels... well... retro. Not that it is too much of a bad thing in itself, but here it is especially inappropriate. The color scheme makes me think of a camping website, the logo looks extremely generic and eclectic (almost like someone just took a random decorated font on DaFont and didn't know what to do with the letters. The shapes they added in every letter inspire me absolutely nothing about phones, technologies or telecom, and the logo is hardly readable on small formats. It's almost like they just thought "Hey let's put some shapes in that logo because it will make it look cool and unique!").

When I enter the website, and the first things I see is "Public". "Public" what? Camping? Forestry? Antiques? At first glance, nothing on this website reminds me of phones or telecoms. I can't find what a website is about at first glance, I leave it. Simple as that.

The illustrations too... let's talk about those. I think that's the worse thing that changed about this website. Generic, cheap art style with no actual friendliness and nothing that reminds me of telecoms. They really don't communicate anything to me. They're just no eyes people (that I can't relate to). I am not sure what they're supposed to represent, but hey, they're there. If they are supposed to fulfill any function beyond taking some space, to me, they fail at it. (On the other hand, the previous illustrations made me feel like I was looked after and that the company cared about what I felt. I think they were really my favorite part about this company's branding and I loved them so much. Hard to see them go.)

As a young adult, nothing about this website appeals to me anymore. Nothing match together quite like it did. If the illustrations were in a retro style, I wouldn't even be mad; the retro style would have been consistent throughout the branding, but it is not the case.

Fair, maybe that's all what PM budget could afford. But when you redesign your brand/website, you should save money, then go all the way through when you are ready, not go for the cheapest option. (Because when you do go for the cheapest option, you end up with this: a half-modern/half-retro abomination that doesn't work visually, and that doesn't appeal to anybody.)

If I saw a flier with this design at Walmart, with all the other tech fliers, I wouldn't pick it up, because I wouldn't think this is a cellphone service provider's flier. I would think Walmart put it there by mistake. I would just see this nice, big "Public" logo in a retro style that doesn't mean anything close to modern, up to date, AI managed cellphone service provider with a superb community and customer support, and affordable prices.

Now it's just... "Public Retro". Like someone was trying to go for that "hip new thing" that is badges and retro styles without actually thinking through their design principles and doing the appropriate market research, and bothering to reflect what Public Mobile really is: a modern, cutting edge, and friendly cellphone service provider with his community at its heart.

I hope to see more of that company in the future.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ECousins wrote:

It would be great if was actually mobile responsive!  LMAO

It seems to be for me at least 

ECousins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It would be great if was actually mobile responsive!  LMAO

jonfirlotte

I miss the orange theme! Though this one is cool but I guess I associate orange with modern and high tech (Tangerine, Orange Amplifiers)

MitchRuns

I like the new look but I'm not a fan of the new logo. Looks too busy and old. Doesn't fit with the rest of the design. 

HexKoi

New website theme seems okay but why change the logo? Looks retro (in a bad way)

goldilock

@ChuckYeah  I agree with you! Yuck, I don't like this new color scheme. I prefer the white background too for reading. I find this totally unappealing! 

@Psygineer now I am cold too lol

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RossN wrote:

OMG I can't see!!Smiley Surprised

This will help

RossN
Mayor / Maire

OMG I can't see!!Smiley Surprised

Psygineer

@ChuckYeah wrote:

@kselmak wrote:

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Does anyone else feel a white background with black lettering is better for reading? I'm not sure I like this green on beige.

I guess this should be a little easier on eyes.

Must be my old eyes then! 👀

I can say that it kind of hurts my eyes. Mind you the bluelight blocker hurts my eyes on my phone too, but the blue light is supposed to hurt our eyes... so I can't win either way.

@kselmak wrote:

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Does anyone else feel a white background with black lettering is better for reading? I'm not sure I like this green on beige.

Must be my old eyes then! 👀

Psygineer

Whan you click on the show plans they just need to add someone standing in a dark alley wearing a fedora and trenchcoat offering your deals. Site looks a little sketchy now, like you can get yourself a genuine Ronex watch here. 

I liked the old logo better. This new logo looks like something you would find advertising a shady and probably unlicenced daycare in the bad part of town. 

The SIM logo, while a bit cliche, was way better than what looks like someone suggested several different styles of fonts, and the decision maker just answered "Yes" when asked which of them they should work with. Mind you I do like that the fonts change almost every time you refresh the site! Reminds me of my Geocities days as a kid Very nostalgic!.

I also liked the grey background over the sickly pink, but I am sure it will grow on me with the 1970s charm colour scheme going on. It probably is easier on the eyes than the grey though, filters that evil blue out. Luckily the Post button is kind of blue and the tealish Autosaved banner help bring that back.

In about a month's time I will likely look back at this post and think I was silly. Change is probably good and it is appealing to their target demographic. Mind you if this is what is appealing to the target demographic, then I am really out of touch!

Spyg!neeЯ away!

I miss the old days when I was top 5% and every time they typed my name wrong... I'm just having a bit of fun with this post. Time to see which path PM follows now.  With the loss of the plan builder it feels like a step backwards, but maybe they will offer additional packages instead. Like maybe a brand new $20 plan that offered Unlimited Canada wide talk/text without data with maybe +250 MB with Auto-pay! Hint Hint!

Psygineer

@ChuckYeah wrote:

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I don't really care about the looks, I even like dusty Debian look

But I have to admit that the old logo was good. I'm not big fan of logos nor do I notice them much, but every now and then when something disappears you feel you gonna miss it

@Poogzley wrote:

Reply and quote buttons are back!

Yup makes me happy

@Poogzley wrote:

How do I quote someone now? That functionality seems to have disappeared...

Yes it's all back now.

PM employees are working overtime.

Poogzley

Reply and quote buttons are back!

obviouslyacorgi

Yea I noticed that too. It's a bit annoying we can't just reply to specific posts within a thread.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, so there is a Reply button at the top.  However, weren't we previously able to reply to a specific post within the topic (and not the entire topic)?  Can't do that any more.

obviouslyacorgi

I like the new website design! It looks fresh! The logo doesn't pop, though, which doesn't distinguish it from other logos out there.

YVR

There is 1 plan  change that I saw with the new website after looking more closely. 

There is a limited time deal that you can get an extra $10 off on $50 plan.  Only for new customers on Aug 20 and 21 , 2019

Offer is not stackable with other promotions.

Here are the other terms from the website 

$10 credit will be applied to eligible Ready-made rate plan of $50/month. Discount will expire if account becomes inactive or the rate plan is changed. Please note it may take up to 7 business days for the discount to be applied. This offer is subject to change without notice. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jimbobs   There has always been a reply button at the top of the discussion page but the reply button in the post has disappeared.  Obviously, an oversight and should be fixed soon, one hopes:)

jimbobs

Finally figured out where the Reply button is!  But, as others have asked, how do you quote some or all of a previous message?

Lorca

Yikes!

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

How do you quote?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Somebody dropped the ball in the refresh.  The reply with quotation is very important.  

Need Help? Let's chat.