cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile vs Telus

Recovery
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just switched over to Public Mobile from Telus due to high plan costs. I am surprised how quick and easy it was. Porting my previous number took less than 10 minutes, followed the start guide shown here and I was good to go. If anyone is debating on switching I suggest you go for it since you will get the same coverage as Telus whilst paying less. Thank you Public Mobile for offering great plans!

29 REPLIES 29

Alexxja

Your individual referral code is in your account, under main overview tab, top right corner. 

Alexxja

Happy retirement!

Alexxja

I totally agree! This is the best provider! Great service, unbeatable rates, great discounts and amazing coverage!

@derick_1002 wrote:

Is there any charge or fees if I move here from telus. I had existing plan to them.

Thanks.

@derick_1002 

Any fees or charges will come from Telus side. You have to verify with them.

PM does not charge any thing more than the cost of your SIM card (if you buy from them) and the new plan you choose. If you do it before Dec 31. there are some free gifts thrown in (2GB data + 500 international minutes)

@louise22210 wrote:

Hey Derick! 

I think it would depend on what plan you currently have with Telus. Whether or not there was a contract end date, and if it has ended, or if it's a pay by the month then you can likely just cancel and switch. There will be no fees that Public Mobile would charge you though! 

Never cancel to switch. The phone number will be lost if it's cancelled. Always get Public to port the number over. That will cancel the Telus plan automatically.

louise22210

Hey Derick! 

I think it would depend on what plan you currently have with Telus. Whether or not there was a contract end date, and if it has ended, or if it's a pay by the month then you can likely just cancel and switch. There will be no fees that Public Mobile would charge you though! 

@derick_1002 wrote:

Is there any charge or fees if I move here from telus. I had existing plan to them.

Thanks.

You'll have to pay for any obligations that you have with Telus.  Telus prepaid doesn't give refunds. Telus postpaid will refund unused portion of a month that you paid for in advance. You'll have to pay off any device purchase balance.

derick_1002
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@skrdan  look in your private inbox and I'll explain to you how it works and give you mine for your new account.  You should see a 1 on the little envelope on the top of the screen, that's your inbox 

@GR wrote:

@skrdan  do you have a refferal code to save an extra 10$ when you activate your new account? 

@GR you're advice certainly is the best advice @skrdan has received. I hope he or she is able to use your referral code!

skrdan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@GR  No. 

and how would I get a referral code to share with my friends who will want to switch over?

GR
Mayor / Maire

@skrdan  do you have a refferal code to save an extra 10$ when you activate your new account? 

skrdan

@GRwoah and wOw! what a great idea - I was looking at the $25 plan but since you mentioned two other options,I'm stumped.  I'll  have to chk it thoroughly out.

TYVM GR, for extending your hand in helping me into this community and giving me other options.

Don't forget you can save $10 on your first month by using a referral code. If you don't have one, a good idea is to ask someone in this community for theirs. It's also a great opportunity to reward someone for giving you good advice here as they recieve $1 per month as long as you stay with PM. Just send them a personal message and they will send you their referral code.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@skrdan  if you take the 10$ or 15$ plan you can also purchase a 5$ long distance add on with 500 minutes that role over every month. So if you use all your 50 minute in the 10$ plan you'll go in the 500 minutes and then on your bill day you'll get your 50 back and have what's left of you're 500 for the next month. 

skrdan

I was with Telus for 16 years and they couldn't lower my cost on just using Talk feature (that was 24 yrs ago -and was paying $45 at that time).  Then I moved to Fido (9 yrs with them).  I now pay $40 + taxes for 1 GB data/text.  So am waiting for my SIM card to arrive today and get started with PM.

I'm recently retired,so all my pennies count and this cell provider is the cheapest by far!!!

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@aridShrub wrote:

Note that publicmobile is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telus. It is a way for them to compete with Koodoo - makes sense. 

Huh? Koodo is also a wholly owned subsidiary of Telus. PM is not designed to compete with Koodo but to complement it as even more of a value brand.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Amy1m87 wrote:

Public mobile is telus towers!

Technically, yes, but note the following from engineering after I opened a recent case about call drops:

"Yes, PM calls are handled and operated on a different platform so you can say they are somewhat [less priority] but nothing drastic since it uses the same radio frequencies."

Also a happy PM customer but thought it was important to share this info out.

aridShrub

I can get a voice support call to telus in 30 minutes, For publicmobile it is 72 hours to get a reply to a text message.

Cell phones are time critical devices for many people ; it is a significant difference in the support model. I can live with 72 hour support - I just wish this information was disclosed.

Note that publicmobile is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telus. It is a way for them to compete with Koodoo - makes sense. 

Another nice thing for us - my wife has an iPhone 4 which doesn't have 4g capability; so having a 3g data plan for that device - is perfect for us. 

Lilzee

Just started using public mobile, I hope everything goes smoothly 🙂 

@Amy1m87Public Mobile is owned by Telus and is Telus' lowest tier flanker brand. It uses the Telus tower out in the west and uses Bell towers in the East where Telus towers are not available.

Amy1m87
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Public mobile is telus towers!

robertmay

i moved 2 lines here  and havent regretted it for a moment.  one has now moved to koodo during last falls big promotion, but i might bring it back when that promo ends.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Recovery wrote:

......If anyone is debating on switching I suggest you go for it since you will get the same coverage as Telus whilst paying less.

@RecoveryWelcome to PM Smiley Happy Paying less Heart, yes!! As for the same coverage not entirely true Telus supports VoLTE and WiFi calling etc that PM does not.

louise22210

Agreed! Public Mobile is very easy to use for folks who don't have many questions and know what they are looking for! The rewards and savings are worth it!

Personally, my porting took 2 days but I contacted a MOD and they were very vigilant and helpful through the process. There were some difficulties involving my ASUS phone, yadda yadda, had to manually change things. But all in all, a good time! 

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Recovery  welcome to PM.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  Porting in general is supposed to be pretty quick, I've had porting take even less than 5 minutes.  As long as you follow the appropriate steps there should be minimal issues.  Sometimes you do need to be a bit patient as maybe certain features might take a bit longer (i.e. outgoing or incoming calls).  But in general should be a seamless process.

Now comes the good part, finding ways to save as much money each month as possible Smiley LOL  Enjoy the savings.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Recovery , welcome to Public Mobile.  This service is a stripped down version of the Telus service at a wallet friendly cost.  

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

We all agree with you!  That's why we are all here.

PMFanatic

@Recovery  I couldn't agree with you more!!

Go PublicMobile!! Smiley Very Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.