Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile vs Telus

Just started using public mobile, I hope everything goes smoothly Smiley Happy 

I can get a voice support call to telus in 30 minutes, For publicmobile it is 72 hours to get a reply to a text message.

Cell phones are time critical devices for many people ; it is a significant difference in the support model. I can live with 72 hour support - I just wish this information was disclosed.

Note that publicmobile is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telus. It is a way for them to compete with Koodoo - makes sense. 

Another nice thing for us - my wife has an iPhone 4 which doesn't have 4g capability; so having a 3g data plan for that device - is perfect for us. 

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Amy1m87 wrote:

Public mobile is telus towers!

Technically, yes, but note the following from engineering after I opened a recent case about call drops:

"Yes, PM calls are handled and operated on a different platform so you can say they are somewhat [less priority] but nothing drastic since it uses the same radio frequencies."

Also a happy PM customer but thought it was important to share this info out.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@aridShrub wrote:

Note that publicmobile is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telus. It is a way for them to compete with Koodoo - makes sense. 

Huh? Koodo is also a wholly owned subsidiary of Telus. PM is not designed to compete with Koodo but to complement it as even more of a value brand.

Highlighted

I was with Telus for 16 years and they couldn't lower my cost on just using Talk feature (that was 24 yrs ago -and was paying $45 at that time).  Then I moved to Fido (9 yrs with them).  I now pay $40 + taxes for 1 GB data/text.  So am waiting for my SIM card to arrive today and get started with PM.

I'm recently retired,so all my pennies count and this cell provider is the cheapest by far!!!

GR
Mayor / Maire

@skrdan  if you take the 10$ or 15$ plan you can also purchase a 5$ long distance add on with 500 minutes that role over every month. So if you use all your 50 minute in the 10$ plan you'll go in the 500 minutes and then on your bill day you'll get your 50 back and have what's left of you're 500 for the next month. 

Mayor / Maire

Don't forget you can save $10 on your first month by using a referral code. If you don't have one, a good idea is to ask someone in this community for theirs. It's also a great opportunity to reward someone for giving you good advice here as they recieve $1 per month as long as you stay with PM. Just send them a personal message and they will send you their referral code.

@GRwoah and wOw! what a great idea - I was looking at the $25 plan but since you mentioned two other options,I'm stumped.  I'll  have to chk it thoroughly out.

TYVM GR, for extending your hand in helping me into this community and giving me other options.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@skrdan  do you have a refferal code to save an extra 10$ when you activate your new account? 

@GR  No. 

and how would I get a referral code to share with my friends who will want to switch over?