cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile might be blocking the transport of the numbers

darwinrey
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

On the 1st of July 2015 my cell was stolen, soon after I contacted the cell company that I had the service with to try to replace my Sim card, the company in question is Public Mobile, the only way of communication with this company is thought the -COMMUNITY- I have not been able to get another way of communication with this company, either to report the lost phone or to request a new Sim.

After nearly two weeks I decided to change companies and now I bouth a cell with Chatr and they assured me it would be no problem to port the cell number I have been using for about 15 years, this was 2 days ago, according to the guys at Chatr the process should take no more than 2 hours, give it till tomorrow and it should be fine.
After speaking with one of the reps of Koodo who apparently owns Public Mobile he mentioned that Public Mobile might be blocking the trasport of the numbers.
My question is this, is that legal, can they do that ?
This is a numbers that I have been using for years, it's a number that I have provided to Government institutions, financial institutions, Revenue Quebec and so on, I can not afford to loose this number.
Is there a way to make Public Mobile to realize my number, This number was originated with AT&T as business land line for a number of years I stayed with them, then City FIDO came and I ported the number to FIDO also for a number of years, then I went to Public Mobile (Big Mistake). I have to get my number back
Darwin Reyes
Number being block 5*********4

11 REPLIES 11

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

I'm glad that matters were resolved to your satisfaction, and that you will remain a PM customer.

Cheers!

darwinrey

Finally the problem will be solved, still amazes me how many people work with the public giving the wrong information, not only in the communication field, in any field, rather than say; sorry I don’t know exactly, let me find out.

In any case thank you all, the process was like you guys said, for old customers dial the number of PM and they will help resolve the problem, I called and the guy at the other side was very helpful, that in the end I decided to stay, I was going to remove the two accounts but I will remain with company, the person at the other side even gave me a month free, (I think), in any case I based my decision on the responses I got from the COMUNITY and the response from the call centre.

Charanth182
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darwinrey wrote:

My apologies for all the misinformation I have posted and thanks to all who helped clarify it.

All started with a koodo rep who informed me that Public Mobile was blocking the transport of numbers, when I arrived to a Chatr kiost, he said it would be easy not problem to port the number in.

In any case thank you all for the good information, if only these reps working with the public where properly informed.

@darwinrey

This post made me smile. Not only is it nice to see nice to see kindness and humility on the internet but in another part of the forum I too am going through the "being very confused by mis information from someone who is a representative, and thefore should be an expert". Made me feel better about that.

darwinrey

My apologies for all the misinformation I have posted and thanks to all who helped clarify it.

All started with a koodo rep who informed me that Public Mobile was blocking the transport of numbers, when I arrived to a Chatr kiost, he said it would be easy not problem to port the number in.

In any case thank you all for the good information, if only these reps working with the public where properly informed.

darwinrey

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
^Actually there is. Let me Explain.

With chatr Prepaid unlimited monthly plans once your paid month of service is over you have 6 months to port your number out without having to add money to your account.

Now for others Prepaid Provider it's like this.

1) Rogers & Fido $10 prepaid card is 30 day validity and when your 30 days are over you have 6 months to port out without having to add any money.
2) Bell's minimum card is $15 good for 30 days and after 30 days you have 120 days to port out without having to add money.

3) Telus Prepaid $10 card good for 30 days after 30 days you have 90 days to Port out without having to add money.

So once again it's only Koodo & Public Mobile Prepaid where a number can only be Ported if your 30 days of service is active & it's not the same with other Prepaid Provider including Chatr Unlimited Prepaid

Mansi_G
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hi @chukdefatey - In order to port within service providers, the account associated to the number in question must be in active state. And if the account is expired/suspended due to non-payment, it will not be considered as an active account. As such, there is no different treatment in Public Mobile for the requirements to transfer the number.

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
@darwinrey, With other Prepaid companies you can Port your number when ever as long as your number/service is active.

HOWEVER with Public Mobile & Koodo PREPAID you can only Port your number when your phone Number is in Paid Status. Meaning it is only Portable within the 30 days of Paid Service.

So my advice to you is log into your self serve account and pay for the service which will take you out of suspension and bring you into an active status and then you would be able to Port out without any issues.

Moid_I
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@darwinrey Sorry to hear you lost your phone, Public Mobile is a prepaid company you should be able to port your number to any service provider as you wish to as long as your account is not suspended or deactivated. 

as @Martin mentioned if you are customer of Public Mobile before January 2015 please contact us at 1-855-4Public, Our call centre will look into the porting for you. 

Hello,

First, you should delete your phone number as the Google search bot visits this community very frequently to record all available information.

If you became a customer before January 27, 2015, you are entitled to communicate with live customer assistance by dialing *611 on your cell, or calling 1-855-4PUBLIC from any telephone. If you became a customer after the above date, you must communicate with Public Mobile by web mail only. If the latter applies to you, click Contact Us on this site's home page. Another page will open with Email Away on it. Click that. Another page will open with radio buttons on it. Select the buttons that apply to your situation, and a web form will be displayed. Complete the web form. Include an alternate phone number. Submit the form, and a representative should contact you within 2 or 3 business days.

I hope that this reply will prove helpful in resolving your situation.

darwinrey

On the 1st of July 2015 my cell was stolen, soon after I contacted the cell company that I had the service with to try to replace my Sim card, the company in question is Public Mobile, the only way of communication with this company is thought the -COMMUNITY- I have not been able to get another way of communication with this company, either to report the lost phone or to request a new Sim.

After nearly two weeks I decided to change companies and now I bouth a cell with Chatr and they assured me it would be no problem to port the cell number I have been using for about 15 years, this was 2 days ago, according to the guys at Chatr the process should take no more than 2 hours, give it till tomorrow and it should be fine.
After speaking with one of the reps of Koodo who apparently owns Public Mobile he mentioned that Public Mobile might be blocking the trasport of the numbers.
My question is this, is that legal, can they do that ?
This is a numbers that I have been using for years, it's a number that I have provided to Government institutions, financial institutions, Revenue Quebec and so on, I can not afford to loose this number.
Is there a way to make Public Mobile to realize my number, This number was originated with AT&T as business land line for a number of years I stayed with them, then City FIDO came and I ported the number to FIDO also for a number of years, then I went to Public Mobile (Big Mistake). I have to get my number back
Darwin Reyes
Number being block 5*********4

Need Help? Let's chat.