cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x

I've had a phone on PM for 24 hours and it says we've used 24 mb of Data, which is more than I used all last month on Telus.  Also the phone has been off and in my bag, in my office on wifi all day. It has not been used at all.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x

Why don't you try figuring out what's on the go before calling it a scam. Silly. 

 

That being said 24 mb is nothing. How did you go through a month using less than that? 

 

GC 

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x


@adminpfc wrote:

I've had a phone on PM for 24 hours and it says we've used 24 mb of Data, which is more than I used all last month on Telus.  Also the phone has been off and in my bag, in my office on wifi all day. It has not been used at all.  This is a scam.


@adminpfcThe PM data usage counter is extremely accurate. Just because you use WiFi doesn't mean you won't use data if both are enabled. Also sometimes WiFi goes down or disconnects. The best thing to do is to login into your selfserve and check your usage later on today and you will see where the 24mb was used. Note: 24mb is considered a tiny amount in today's standards.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x

you don't know anything about my life.  This phone is a backup phone and isn't used for online use.  I use an average of 15-20 mb per month for the last year.  Having used 24 mb in as many hours is a massive and suspicious jump.  

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x


@geopublic wrote:

@adminpfc wrote:

I've had a phone on PM for 24 hours and it says we've used 24 mb of Data, which is more than I used all last month on Telus.  Also the phone has been off and in my bag, in my office on wifi all day. It has not been used at all.  This is a scam.


@adminpfcThe PM data usage counter is extremely accurate. Just because you use WiFi doesn't mean you won't use data if both are enabled. Also sometimes WiFi goes down or disconnects. The best thing to do is to login into your selfserve and check your usage later on today and you will see where the 24mb was used. Note: 24mb is considered a tiny amount in today's standards.


I know that 24 Mb is a small amout of Data but nothing has changed about my phone only my provider.  By what measure is the PM data counter extremely accurate, because they say so?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x


@adminpfc wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@adminpfc wrote:

I've had a phone on PM for 24 hours and it says we've used 24 mb of Data, which is more than I used all last month on Telus.  Also the phone has been off and in my bag, in my office on wifi all day. It has not been used at all.  This is a scam.


@adminpfcThe PM data usage counter is extremely accurate. Just because you use WiFi doesn't mean you won't use data if both are enabled. Also sometimes WiFi goes down or disconnects. The best thing to do is to login into your selfserve and check your usage later on today and you will see where the 24mb was used. Note: 24mb is considered a tiny amount in today's standards.


I know that 24 Mb is a small amout of Data but nothing has changed about my phone only my provider.  By what measure is the PM data counter extremely accurate, because they say so?


@adminpfc  From my experience, I also have questioned it in the past and was 100% wrong. PM uses the Telus counters (Think about it's their bread and butter there is no room for error). If you still think there was an issue contact the moderator team here.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x


@adminpfc wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@adminpfc wrote:

I've had a phone on PM for 24 hours and it says we've used 24 mb of Data, which is more than I used all last month on Telus.  Also the phone has been off and in my bag, in my office on wifi all day. It has not been used at all.  This is a scam.


@adminpfcThe PM data usage counter is extremely accurate. Just because you use WiFi doesn't mean you won't use data if both are enabled. Also sometimes WiFi goes down or disconnects. The best thing to do is to login into your selfserve and check your usage later on today and you will see where the 24mb was used. Note: 24mb is considered a tiny amount in today's standards.


I know that 24 Mb is a small amout of Data but nothing has changed about my phone only my provider.  By what measure is the PM data counter extremely accurate, because they say so?


Because it has been challenged many times and hasn't been seen to be wrong yet.

Check all your apps for their own data usage and updates. Check your OS that it didn't do any updates. iPhone's have a wifi assist feature where if it's a weak wifi that it'll go over and use cell data.

And it may also be that apps and the OS are seeing the new cell provider and thinking oh...new connection...best we re-align everything.

Turn off cell data and then flip the phone in and out of airplane mode and then look at your data consumption.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x

I have done all those things.  I am not some sort of luddite.  I have paid for this month so I'm playing it out but this experience so far has not been a great one.  I have WiFi assist off, I have non-essential apps turned to no-data, I am not some sort of conspiracy theorist who imagines evil geniuses behind every corporate entity, but I am dissapointed that this process seems so complicated and watching my usage tick up when I am not using the phone is disconcerting.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x

 @adminpfc 

Can you call out?

Can another phone call in?

Can you text out?

Can another phone text in?

 

Did you try the airplane mode flip and then look at your data on the self-serve?

Mayor / Maire

Re: Public Mobile is overstating my data use by 10x


@z10user4 wrote:

 @adminpfc 

Can you call out?

Can another phone call in?

Can you text out?

Can another phone text in?

 

Did you try the airplane mode flip and then look at your data on the self-serve?


@z10user4 out of curiosity, what does their abiltiy to do calls or texts have to do with their perceived data usage issue?

 

@adminpfc try keeping an eye on it a few more days and update us.


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.