cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile carrier name too long

thighmaster69
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a very serious issue with Public Mobile that may be a deal breaker. It's such a problem that I think I might switch to a carrier with $100 more a month because of it.

I am talking about the carrier name in the status bar.

It is so long and ugly that it is quite hard to bear. It is so long, in fact, that sometimes it doesn't even fit. Sometimes, you just get a "...". Public...

Public what? How am I supposed to know what the rest of my name is? My short-term memory can't handle it.

I would like this issue to be fixed. If this said PUBLIC or Public instead, it would be much less horrendous. You know, like every other carrier does (imagine if Telus used Telus Mobility in their carrier name!

IMG_0473.PNG

40 REPLIES 40

@WearySky wrote:
Came to see the people earnestly responding to what I really hope is an obvious joke post... Did not leave disappointed.

@WearySky, I am with you I am totally hoping this was a tongue in cheek type thread.  If it isn't a joke it is pretty sad  First world problems

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

cricketfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Don't look at it. 😉

Problem solved!

Make the text smaller. Compared to my screen, your font size is up there. I see public mobile all in one word, even on the lock screen. It was one of the first things I did when I got my iPhone

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If Public Mobile pandered to every little suggestion and this one has to be near the bottom of the usefulness list, our service would cost $40 a day instead of $40 per month.  @thighmaster69, if you are willing to pay more just to have a carrier label to your liking, help yourself.  There is no loyalty department ready to roll out the red carpet to respond to this threat. 

BTW, I run a custom android rom and I have the option of hiding the carrier lable or customizing it with an ID of my choosing and adjusting the font size.  Why bother my carrier if I can take matters into my own hands. 

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Came to see the people earnestly responding to what I really hope is an obvious joke post... Did not leave disappointed.

Jorno
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mimmo wrote:
I believe this has been discussed in public lab.

As mentioned by @mimmo, there is a discussion in Public Lab to abbreviate carrier name and it can be found here.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
This has been discussed previously, and the end result is that Public Mobile will probably not change this. I, too, am bothered by this (OCD unite!) but to be completely honest, there are other higher priorities that Public Mobile should focus their efforts on. If you really want to change the name, you could jailbreak your phone and customize it to your liking.

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

@thighmaster69 wrote:

It's such a problem that I think I might switch to a carrier with $100 more a month because of it.

Another option would be to buy a new Android phone, since it includes the option to hide carrier name. Even if you opt for the brand new and rather expensive Samsung S8, you would be better off after less than a year (~$1050 w/o contract compare to $100/month x 12 months)! Smiley Wink

Another solution would be to jailbreak your iPhone, if you are willing to do so. Or if you have a Mac, CarrierEditor might works, but I would bet in the inclusion of Public Mobile in its list of supported carriers...

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I believe this has been discussed in public lab.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
Change your setting to standard view you have set on zoomed view that's why it's coming out so big its a standard logo size
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
Need Help? Let's chat.