cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Employee Sold Stolen Phone

iffrett
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased a phone from a person claiming they worked at Public Mobile. The phone worked fine for 3 weeks and now has its IMEI blacklisted. 

I have the name of the person. Please contact me for further details. 

8 REPLIES 8

@slash407

Privacy laws and all

They won't tell him anything

@will13am

Truth may be harsh, but I find the majority of people attempt to KEEP stolen merchandise AFTER they are aware it was stolen

That is my bone (even here seriously why else post? OP is trying to un-blacklist the phone)

I highly doubt the OP required me to point out if said phone was stolen he has no legal right to phone and should return it to police

By KEEPING the phone, OP is breaking the law

His money is gone

His only recourse is a civil action (which due to costs is probably pointless)

But at least if he returns phone to police and gives them info they could look into it

Crying online is pointless

@kav2001c wrote:

@iffrett

I doubt the OP story but having said that

EVEN if that person actually worked for Public (or Koodo, or Telus, or any other cellco)

What diff would it make?

From a legal standpoint

3 Weeks ago (according to you) it was not marked as stolen

Today it is

The PROPER answer is that you can not be in possession of stolen property and you should return said phone to your local police station

Failing to do so YOU are committing a CRIMINAL action which even carries jail time

So POSTING this on a message board is not too bright

(esp if you think the person was an employee since they could turn you in haha)

I would also point out accusing someone of selling a stolen phone in itself is also a crime but that would more likely be a civil action

You are being a bit harsh on OP.  This was not a willful intent to purchase stolen merchandise.  The right thing to do is to report the situation to the authorities. 

To others, this is the reason why I caution people on buying from strangers on sites like Kijiji where sellers are not rated by buyers.   

@iffrett

I doubt the OP story but having said that

EVEN if that person actually worked for Public (or Koodo, or Telus, or any other cellco)

What diff would it make?

From a legal standpoint

3 Weeks ago (according to you) it was not marked as stolen

Today it is

The PROPER answer is that you can not be in possession of stolen property and you should return said phone to your local police station

Failing to do so YOU are committing a CRIMINAL action which even carries jail time

So POSTING this on a message board is not too bright

(esp if you think the person was an employee since they could turn you in haha)

I would also point out accusing someone of selling a stolen phone in itself is also a crime but that would more likely be a civil action

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Public Mobile don't sell phone

if you meet Public Mobile worker at other forum, you should have post there 

here you might not get help

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@iffrett wrote:

I purchased a phone from a person claiming they worked at Public Mobile. The phone worked fine for 3 weeks and now has its IMEI blacklisted. 

@iffrettHow did you meet this seller? Did they have a kijiji ad or did they put up a "for sale" ad from this community? I am interested to know more details.

If the person purposely pretended to work at public mobile, and was aware the property was stolen I would be willing to bet the name and contact information you have is also fake / made up.

If you actually are still able to contact this person and they used their real information then possilby there was confusion, such as they said they worked as a community helper at public mobile and they were unaware the phone was stolen and they will probably return your money.

@iffrett wrote:

Public Mobile doesn't sell phones, and honestly, I don't even beleive the person who sold you the phone even works for the company.

It's not impossible for a phone to get blacklisted sometimes by accident by a carrier or for other unexpected reason that do not involve theft.

If you paid by credit card, you could potentially file a payment dispute to get your money back.  If made the purchase on eBay or paid with Paypal, you could go through their merchandise dispute processes.

Otherwise, your only hope to get your money back would be hope that the person offers your money back.  You could go to the police, but for a small item, I do not belive this is likely to yield you any favorable results.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This thread should be deleted....its going to start a long thread of garbage....

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@iffrett, Public Mobile does not sell phones.  The person who sold you the stolen phone is an imposter.  There is nobody here that you can contact to address the situation.  If you have personal information on that person, I suggest contacting the local police. 

Need Help? Let's chat.