cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile Closing- according to the rep I just spoke to from Koodo

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I just got off the phone with a rep from Koodo Mobile and she told me that everyone will be receiving a text message to switch to Koodo (if they want).  I said I did not get a text message.  She said I could still switch to Koodo.  She said that PM will eventually be closing down. I asked her where she got the information from and she told me from her supervisor. She was very open about it and sure that PM would be closing at some point. I have the customer service agent's first name but I don't want to share it online just in case she got her facts wrong.

The promotions for now are for a $40 plan with 4 gigs per month the current offer is a $50 plan with 5 gigs and for a $40 plan 2 gigs they are offering it for $50 with 3 gigs.

33 REPLIES 33

jimoolee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No worries. Ya I figured it just sounded odd for him to say that

Just a Koodo franchisee trying to beef up his sales.  PC Mobile is closing, and rebranding - going to carry all 3 big and middle tiers, and Freedom in some locations.   Not sure how that works.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jimoolee wrote:

I'm with public mobile but havent received any promo text so decided to call koodo to ask. Just got off the phone with koodo inquiring about the public mobile $40 8gb promo. He verified PM is indeed shutting down and they will try to move customers either to Telus or Rogers (koodo/fido). Very interesting and I'm hoping someone has a promo code they can lend me so I can grab the koodo promo 🙂

@jimoolee I'm not shooting, but this Koodo rep has flat-out lied to you.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jimoolee wrote:

Don't shoot the messenger. Just relaying the info the koodo rep said over the phone. Could be an error in his part mentioning rogers.

No shooting here. Your sentence started with "He" not "I".

jimoolee

Don't shoot the messenger. Just relaying the info the koodo rep said over the phone. Could be an error in his part mentioning rogers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jimoolee wrote:

He verified PM is indeed shutting down and they will try to move customers either to Telus or Rogers (koodo/fido).

There ain't no way on this earth that Rogers would be involved in any of this misinformation.

jimoolee

I'm with public mobile but havent received any promo text so decided to call koodo to ask. Just got off the phone with koodo inquiring about the public mobile $40 8gb promo. He verified PM is indeed shutting down and they will try to move customers either to Telus or Rogers (koodo/fido). Very interesting and I'm hoping someone has a promo code they can lend me so I can grab the koodo promo 🙂

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Just started reading this thread from the beginning and, given the current situation, I couldn't make heads or tails of what was being said until I looked at the post date and it was back in 2017! LOL. Hmmm... I guess people were worried back then as well.

Simply as a customer, I do have my suspicions about what Telus has planned for Public Mobile. But that's my right as a customer to express those views, and we should remember it's all just opinion and speculation.

Now as for a Koodo employee/Koodo salesperson saying this, I call BS.  The person has extra motivation to get you to switch by earning commission.  What was told you may actually be what the sales person personally believes, but it could  just be his/her opinion.  If you go ahead and specifically ask "Is this an opinion or is this official corporate policy or statement released in a memo by head office?".  I'm not sure the sales person would want to be caught up in that the person's reaction may give a better indication.  But until an official press release/statement by Public Mobile/Telus, I would be skeptical of any such claims.

@olee, I bet this call came from a Koodo store that is not a Corporate Store.  They are just trying to scare you or give you that little nudge they think you need to switch to koodo.  As stated I am sure they get kickbacks for activations.  Call them back and say thanks for the info I will be going ahead and doing the transaction online and see what they come up with to get you to come into the store.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I wouldn’t believe it. Sale reps tend to be largely commissioned based. Especially on the outbound calling side. They’ll tell you whatever they have to in order to make a sale. I’d be weary of anything they had to say on the matter. Just my two cents from experience in the industry. 

olee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just got a call from koodo yesterday, they left a vm saying public will go out of business in the next few months and there is a promo going on if switch from pm.

@Is it true now that pm will be closing down soon? @Mary_M

@Mary_Mwrote:

Hey @Michael77,

thank you so much for taking the time to share this!

I'd like to first and foremost apologize - the information you received is not accurate. I can assure everyone that Public Mobile is not closing down. Despite the offers to move to Koodo, we are open, and we are planning on remaining this way - these are simply just offers.

Now, I'd love to get some more information from you in regards to the call you had and the rep you spoke with. I'll be sending you a private message, can you look out for it ? 🙂

Regards,

Mary

Sinbad

Komodo- Only reward system I remember is Referral

@Michael77 wrote:
Koodo definitely has a community similar to PM. I think there is some sort of reward system but I don't know how it works.

$25.00 per referral.

Michael77
Koodo definitely has a community similar to PM. I think there is some sort of reward system but I don't know how it works.

ravenous

Koodo reps called me TWICE today. I never get phone calls so the first call was from a man who gave me an acronym (I guess that's the company name who's selling Koodo) and I hung up thinking that it was a spam caller. (I guess it was in a way.)

I just received a second call now and I did not answer as I didn't recognize the call display info. The woman left me a voice mail even though my greeting says don't leave me vm! 😤

And all this was after getting texts from PM last week about the Koodo offer.

Unless Koodo has a reward/credit system like PM's, there isn't much inscentive to switch!

Sinbad

As far as I am concerned this is unauthorized spam. I did not give Koodo permission to first text me nor call me.

There should be a way to stop it. 

Thank you PM I will continue to enjoy your service.

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Happy to hear the news! Thx

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

hahahahaha it seems that way @Jeremy_M!!

@jshmeek no worries, no one will be reprimanded. We tend to think of this as a learning moment 🙂

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

April fools in August?

jshmeek
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I hope the rep doesn't get reprimands for this. The supervisor should be the one getting a talking to on this, by the sounds of it.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

I'm glad that I could provide some clarity @Michael77 🙂 

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Michael77

@zhadj030, thank you.

Good news! 🙂 I've been assured by @Mary_M that PM is not going anywhere. In fact, they want to grow their business! It seems like the Koodo rep gave out the wrong information. Thanks, @Mary_M🙂 

Here is some reading
"the promo sparked speculation from some users on Red Flag Deals (RFD) that the promotion could signal the end of Public Mobile. In response to that assertion, Telus told MobileSyrup: “We know that there are some Public Mobile customers who may be interested in moving over to a post-paid plan and getting their hands on new devices so this promotion is all about giving our customers more choices. Public Mobile is not going anywhere.”

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Public Mobile wants select customers to join Koodo with $50/5GB promo

Michael77

@makkahn28 great! I hope you are correct. 🙂

Hi. @Michael77, That info is as old as Emperor Palpatine.

It's also 110% Untrue.

Glad @Mary_M caught wind and will ensure that this type of Rumor is put back to bed 

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

thanks @Michael77, I've sent you a PM 🙂

Much appreciated !!

Mary

Michael77

@Mary_M

Sure thing.  I can give you the rep's name in a private message. Thanks. 🙂

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @Michael77,

thank you so much for taking the time to share this!

I'd like to first and foremost apologize - the information you received is not accurate. I can assure everyone that Public Mobile is not closing down. Despite the offers to move to Koodo, we are open, and we are planning on remaining this way - these are simply just offers.

Now, I'd love to get some more information from you in regards to the call you had and the rep you spoke with. I'll be sending you a private message, can you look out for it ? 🙂

Regards,

Mary

Michael77

Someone else should call into Koodo and see what they say. Please use your PM phone so they know you're a PM customer.

Michael77

@zhadj030,

I hope you're right.  

Need Help? Let's chat.