cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Alert in BC

Johan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

There was a Public Alert test in BC yesterday just before 2:00pm, which I knew was happening. I had 2 people in my office and was on a land line when it happend. Each of the 2 cell phones in my office and atleast 3 on the other end of my call had their phones alert them to the test. Mine however did not. Did PM not take part in the test? I did not see or receive a message that PM was not going to be part of this test. Did I miss something somewhere? 

10 REPLIES 10

Johan

I did recheck and the LTE is on.

I geusse thats why they do the testing. Had to laugh, all the phones that went off around me, but not mine and I was the only one that knew about the test, evryone one else was doing the "Whats wrong with my phone" thing.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Johan wrote:

well, I guess as long as there are other people around it should not be an issue. Hate to be the only one on the beach, wondering were everyone else went and why the water is so far out.

LOL, I hear you.

But to confirm, is the iPhone actually set to LTE? 

Your phone is listed at https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/alert-ready-wireless-public-alerting-wpa. So it should theoretically work, but clearly there are other factors, including the alert system itself and its questionable reliability.

superhamster

I'm in Vancouver and didn't get any alerts 🤷🏻‍♀️

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Johan wrote:

well, I guess as long as there are other people around it should not be an issue. Hate to be the only one on the beach, wondering were everyone else went and why the water is so far out.

Indeed:)

Johan

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Johan   My experience hasn't been good with these alerts.  The Alcatel flip phone always gets the text notice and always recieves the test alert everytime.  I didn't receive the text or the test alert on the Samsung phone.  On an earlier Motorola phone, sometimes it worked and other times nothing.  I have no idea why it works on the basic phone but not the smart phone.

Johan

It is an Iphone 5C which is LTE capable. 

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yeah, has to be a supported LTE-capable device. I have a BlackBerry, for example, that does LTE but does not get the emergency warning. What phone are you using?

Johan

Not sure, I did not look at my phone as I was busy with the call I was on. Glad to know others did get the notice. I would have assumed it would not matter 3G or not for something like that.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Johan wrote:

There was a Public Alert test in BC yesterday just before 2:00pm, which I knew was happening. I had 2 people in my office and was on a land line when it happend. Each of the 2 cell phones in my office and atleast 3 on the other end of my call had their phones alert them to the test. Mine however did not. Did PM not take part in the test? I did not see or receive a message that PM was not going to be part of this test. Did I miss something somewhere? 

I am in Victoria and received it.  Could you have possibly been connected to 3G at the time of ther alert?  My son's phone received it as well.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.