cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Province wide plan and calls to non-local area code

Ynasedkina
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I am new to PM, and started with $10 plan. I want to upgrade my plan to province wide and I am a little bit confused with home province definition. Me and my partner moved from ON to NB and we keep our Ontario numbers. So we both live in NB and both have Ontario area code numbers. If I choose province wide plan, will we be able to call to each other?Smiley Happy

Thanks

28 REPLIES 28

@GreatCanadian wrote:

For this they would need a data plan. Doesn't Fongo require data? Unless on wifi of course. If they are going to upgrade they may as well move to a Canada-wide plan.

Also, why would they need new SIM cards?

GC

If they are porting out their ON number to a VOIP service the current Public Mobile account is closed and the associated SIM is deactivated. Since SIM cards are not reusable they would need a new SIM and a new account for their new NB number.

@srlawren, I don't disagree... but hey, I don't need Canada-Wide, so why should I pay for more than Province-Wide?

If my home town was considered local from my current city for home and work, I'd be fine with LD addons.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker wrote:

@Ynasedkina, so now, here's the problem with this.

Anyone in NB who wishes to call you on a local, or province-wide calling plan (not Canada-Wide), is going to incur long distance charges.  Folks like doctors, dentists, local shops, etc...

It's up to you.

@stonechucker Canadian telcomms need to smarten up and make all calling plans nation-wide like most have done in the USA.  There should be no need to worry in the 21st century about how people will get ahold of you when you move to another province.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Ynasedkina, so now, here's the problem with this.

Anyone in NB who wishes to call you on a local, or province-wide calling plan (not Canada-Wide), is going to incur long distance charges.  Folks like doctors, dentists, local shops, etc...

It's up to you.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ynasedkina wrote:

Thanks everybody! As I understand, the home province is the area code province, ON in my case. But as I live in NB, I can call only NB numbers with province-wide plan. As my partner has ON number, but also physically located in NB, it is easier for us to switch to Canada-wide plan instead of changing numbers.

BINGO!! I think that's your best option, especially if you are set on keeping your Ontario numbers. If keeping your Ontario numbers is not important, it's easy for you to switch to a local number. Just post back asking how if you're interested. Only takes a few minutes.

GC

Ynasedkina

Thanks everybody! As I understand, the home province is the area code province, ON in my case. But as I live in NB, I can call only NB numbers with province-wide plan. As my partner has ON number, but also physically located in NB, it is easier for us to switch to Canada-wide plan instead of changing numbers.

GreatCanadian

For this they would need a data plan. Doesn't Fongo require data? Unless on wifi of course. If they are going to upgrade they may as well move to a Canada-wide plan.

Also, why would they need new SIM cards?

GC

bridonca
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have a solution that might work for you, though there is a start up cost involved.  I would work on porting your Ontario numbers to a VOIP service like Fongo.  Through an internet connection, you can make phone calls to most people in Canada for free.  You can also forward your Ontario number to your new Public Mobile New Brunswick number for free.   The problem with this is start up cost.  You are going to need new SIM cards, and add new New Brunswick numbers to them.  You will also have to pay Fongo $25 each to port the Ontario numbers to their service.

GreatCanadian

@Alex888 wrote:

@ShawnC13  So how does that work if someone visted a different province part way through the month? Can they call people within the province they are visiting?

Yes...IF the number they are calling has an area code for that province.

@Alex888 wrote:

@ShawnC13  So how does that work if someone visted a different province part way through the month? Can they call people within the province they are visiting?

@Alex888, it is easiest to refer customer inquiries to a knowledge base article where possible.  This avoids confusion. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ynasedkina

I think the waters have got a little muddy, although maybe understood now. So I'll just add my 2 cents to muddy it all up again and to say it all in my words.

Overall, you can receive calls from anywhere while somewhere in Canada. That's the easy part.

How they connect to you depends on your area code and their calling plans. Your area code decides any long distance issues for them regardless of where you are physically. You can be standing next to Aunt Blatty in NB with your ON area code number and she will need to call you using whatever long distance plan she has.

While you are physically in any province, you can call area codes known to be in that province. Calling an area code known to be from another province that you're not physically in - you will need a long distance add-on.

Close to provincial borders or the US - things can get messy. You might be connected to a particular tower from elsewhere.

@YnasedkinaProvince.PNG

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

@Ynasedkina wrote:

@mimmo, thank you) NB has higher taxes, so at least I will pay a little bit lessSmiley Very Happy

Finally some good news. Lol

Sign up some friends and enable autopay and you will be well on the way of lowering your bill.

GreatCanadian

@Ynasedkina wrote:

@ShawnC13, thanks. But what if I am located in NB and I will call to ON number physically located also in NB?

Even though the number you are calling is an Ontario number (and physically located in New Brunswick), it is a long distance call. Your phone doesn't care about the physical location of the phone you are calling, only the area code. Your 2 options are to change your numbers to New Brunswick numbers, or purchase a long distance add-on. The second option does not make much sense as it would be just as well (financially) to move up to a Canada-wide plan if you make a lot of calls. The Canada- wide plan would also allow you to call back to family or friends in Ontario, or anywhere else in Canada.

GC

Ynasedkina

@mimmo, thank you) NB has higher taxes, so at least I will pay a little bit lessSmiley Very Happy

mimmo

@Ynasedkina wrote:

@ShawnC13, thanks. But what if I am located in NB and I will call to ON number physically located also in NB?

That does not matter. The system considers that any number outside of the province long distance.

@Alex888 wrote:

@Alex888, yes with Province wide calling the Province you are physically located in is the one you can make calls in. You will need to put a 1 in front of the numbers you are calling.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

@Ynasedkina yes home province is based on the area code of your number.  Also taxes paid will be based on the area code of your number. Not sure if NB has has higher or lower taxes than ON

Ynasedkina

@Ynasedkina wrote:

@ShawnC13, thank you! So if I understand it right, my home province will be ON, while I keep this number, regardless of my address on my PM profile.

@Ynasedkina, no if you are physically located in NB that is the Province you can call with a Province wide calling, and you would need a long distance plan to call any other Province including Ontario numbers.

Ynasedkina

@ShawnC13, thank you! So if I understand it right, my home province will be ON, while I keep this number, regardless of my address on my PM profile.

@Alex888 wrote:

As long as you both keep the province in your profile as Ontario you will be able to call each other and anywhere else in Ontario, however you will not be able to call anyone in New Brunswick. If you both change it to New Brunswick then you can call each other and the rest NB.

Your best option would probably be the $30 for 30 day bonus plan that is on now with unlimited Canada wide talking, unlimited international texting, and 500 MB of data (1 GB total if you sign up for auto pay.)

Whichever you choose if you opt to change your plan immediately you forfit the rest of your current plan and have to pay for your new one immediatly, but you can select to for your plan to change automatically on your next renewal date.

@Alex888, the above part that I bolded is incorrect.  Province wide calling isn't based on what area code you have for your phone it is actually based on what Province you are in.  So when you go to another Province that becomes the Province you can call in (you will need to add a 1 in front for the call to go through)  So both having ON numbers in NB and only Province wide calling they wouldn't be able to call each other without a long distance plan or Canada wide calling

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This knowledge base covers province wide talk and how it works when not in home province. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ta-p/250167

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Ynasedkina wrote:

Hello,

I am new to PM, and started with $10 plan. I want to upgrade my plan to province wide and I am a little bit confused with home province definition. Me and my partner moved from ON to NB and we keep our Ontario numbers. So we both live in NB and both have Ontario area code numbers. If I choose province wide plan, will we be able to call to each other?Smiley Happy

Thanks

With Province Wide calling you would need long distance to call an ON from NB.  You would be able to call the NB numbers but you would need to add 1 in front of all the numbers you dial, and any land line of cell that doesn't have Canada wide calling in NB would need to call you long distance.

Ynasedkina

@Alex888, @mimmo, thanks a lot!

I was considering $25 plan. But it looks that it will not work in my situation, as I have some friends here, who also have other provinces area codes. $30 plan is better choice, I guessSmiley Happy

mimmo

What plan were you thinking if getting? Talk and text only?  For $25?

I believe most of the 3g  data plans include Canada calling at no extra cost. The cheapest being $30

The other option is to buy a long-distance addon for 8$ which gives you 200 minutes and lasts till used up

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

As long as you both keep the province in your profile as Ontario you will be able to call each other and anywhere else in Ontario, however you will not be able to call anyone in New Brunswick. If you both change it to New Brunswick then you can call each other and the rest NB.

Your best option would probably be the $30 for 30 day bonus plan that is on now with unlimited Canada wide talking, unlimited international texting, and 500 MB of data (1 GB total if you sign up for auto pay.)

Whichever you choose if you opt to change your plan immediately you forfit the rest of your current plan and have to pay for your new one immediatly, but you can select to for your plan to change automatically on your next renewal date.

Need Help? Let's chat.