cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Outgoing International SMS

mightytb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello All,

I just joined Public Mobile yesterday and have international texting with my plan, but it seems like all of my international outgoing messages are only being partially delivered or not being delivered at all.

One of my friends reported only receiving the last few words of a long text that I sent and another does not seem to be able to receive any of my texts whatsoever.

Incoming messages seem to be working fine though, no matter the origin.

Please help? Smiley Frustrated

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mightytb glad to hear it's resolved!  It's amazing how often a simple reboot will fix a ton of strange behaviour.  Cheers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mightytb

I turned off my phone and left it to rest for a few minutes, then restarted it. PROBLEM SOLVED! I just sent out a few international texts with varying lengths and every single line was received by the recipients Smiley Very Happy

mightytb

@kav2001c No, I was on Rogers. Smiley Sad

@mightytb The 3 main carriers (Bell, Telus & Rogers) all have different agreements with international carriers. Most numbers this is a non-issue but occasionally one will pop up that has an issue.

If it did work before, were you previously on Telus or a Telus brand?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @mightytb

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your international text messaging plan.

There may be some restrictions, but if you could kindly send me your phone number, I would be happy to look into this with you. (please send by private message) 

Thank you!

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

mightytb

@kav2001c wrote:

In every scenario though the issue with receiving is on other carrier not Public.

Try sending a couple shorter txt first to make sure your friend can receive from you.

If they can not, find out which carrier they are on and ensure there is an agreement with that carrier to Telus (Public)

I don't understand how the issue would be with the receiving carrier, considering I never had any issues sending texts to those people prior to joining Public Mobile, regardless of the length of the texts.

I also sent out very short 1-3 word texts that my international friends never even received! Again, never had any of these issues prior to switching my service to Public Mobile. I thought I would be able to text any cellular number with the international texting plan whether there's an agreement with that carrier to Telus or not?

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

If only receive last few words my speculation would be txt you send is too long. There is a limit of 160 characters per txt message. The issue after this is on receiving party end (the person you are sending to).

Some carriers will display all parts correctly, some can display out of order, some will filter the txt (in case spam etc) which means if you sent a txt that was 200 characters long they only receive the last 40.

In every scenario though the issue with receiving is on other carrier not Public.

Try sending a couple shorter txt first to make sure your friend can receive from you.

If they can not, find out which carrier they are on and ensure there is an agreement with that carrier to Telus (Public)

Need Help? Let's chat.