cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private messages

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Has anyone else just recieved a sexually explicit proposition in their private messages or am i the only "lucky" one targeted by some weirdo chick...im in a little shock right now. I was not expecting that!

19 REPLIES 19

Public Mobile might have nailed it! It's been a "not tonight I have a headache"  kind of night. Bravo public mobile I think the community is PG-13 again.

@Korth wrote:

@darlicious

And straying a little further off-topic... which VPN are/were you using? I routinely have to disable Nord when visiting these sites because of (denied) login issues. (So PM/Telus obviously knows all the Nord VPN exit nodes - and rejects traffic from them.)

@Korth  A free one VPN proxy master lite....hopefully they don't find out! Lol! If I leave it on when visit other sites I'm rarely refused.

@Korth wrote:

@darlicious

And straying a little further off-topic... which VPN are/were you using? I routinely have to disable Nord when visiting these sites because of (denied) login issues. (So PM/Telus obviously knows all the Nord VPN exit nodes - and rejects traffic from them.)

If doing online buying, a VPN could set off a merchant security flag and make the transaction decline.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious

I'm not claiming it's a perfect toolset by any means. There's always going to be false positives and false negatives, good users banned while trolls and spammers find ways to spread unwanted pollution.

Ultimately it always comes down to the Powers That Be (or their agents) making case-by-case judgement calls on "inappropriate content" reported by diligent users. Simply warn or ban (or permaban) offenders, close their accounts, even terminate their Self-Serve accounts after repeated or extreme violations of PM Community Terms of Service.

But I suspect PM has a limited technical labour pool (and budget), leaning heavy on automation or outsourced talent (from Khoros?), unmotivated to escalate as long as intrusions by spammers aren't unctrollably noxious. I'm surprised that they haven't (yet?) fixed account/ban issues which trouble some of their most avid users. 

Sucks that you (and I, and others) can't login through VPNs/TORs/etc, but a small price to pay if it also successfully blocks an endless deluge of garbage.

@Korth  It would be preferable if pm chose a different punishment than an IP address ban. As it doesn't actually ban the user just those who use that address for their internet connection. As a result I must use a VPN or my mobile data to access the community as well as the 2 others here with pm accounts. Three of us suffering an unjust punishment for living in the right place but at the wrong time?!! Please note this was initially a 24hr ban that inexplicably turned into a permanent  one. Not sure how that happened.

@computergeek541 wrote:

Using the report inapporiate messsage feature gets sent to moderators anyway. As for banning an IP address, I don't see that as a good idea. IP addresses are almost always dynamic, and all banning an IP address does would do would be to inconvenience another customer.  I sometimes try to use the Community using mobile data, only to be refused access to the site to allow me to because they banned the IP address that my phone connected to.

Dynamic IPs aren't as anon as promised, anymore, especially when common but sloppy IPv4 and IPv6 translations append revealing metadata. So IP bans which identify specific users can still be marginally effective.

Webservers (almost) always can have access to hardware-specific MACs. Sometimes also unique serial numbers from main processor, main chipset, and other registered hardware. Sometimes also IMEIs. Certainly any identifiers attached to SIMs if using a subscribed service. Usually also unique identifiers embedded in network packets from intermediate devices along the network chain.

Plus "unique" browser ID based on browser build/version, reported resolution, preferences, etc. And if your running an "out of the box" Android, iOS, or Windows machine then your software submits all sorts of machine-specific identifiers.

Just saying that webservers can access a variety of tools to effectively identify (and ban) individual users. And that's without even considering all the other datamining, telemetry, and tracking identifers they can access through other channels.

@Dunkman wrote:

@kimmytran wrote:

I got the message too.....so how do you delete it??

@kimmytran 

On the bottom of private message, you can click on delete icon. There is also a report icon on the left bottom side. 

I got one of those P.M.s yesterday too, and was looking and looking, AND looking, for how to delete it, but couldn't see anything, in spite of having deleted 2 messages, a couple of days before(couldn't remember how I'd done it). Unfortunately, you left out a tiny bit of important info, i.e., when you click on the envelope icon, at the top of the page, to look at P.M.s, the messages are there, and you can read them, but there's no "Delete" button available UNTIL you click on the title of the individual message and/or the name of the user that sent it(don't recall exactly, ATM), and THEN the "Delete" button is available for use.

@kimmytran wrote:

@kimmytran 

On the bottom of private message, you can click on delete icon. There is also a report icon on the left bottom side. 

kimmytran
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@computergeek541  It seems pretty common because my IP address got blocked because of a community user name that was initially accepted was later deemed inappropriate. Now three of us suffer the consequences...and yes it's a major pain in the ....shh!...a$$!

@darlicious wrote:

Interesting....the moderator doesn't seem to know how to handle this situation. He suggested I "report" it and follow the steps there in. Lol! That's what I did to get him. I suggested he ask a senior colleague for advice and that he could ban both the IP address and email associated with the account. I don't quite understand why I know more about this than an employee does? As I commented in another post more training and policy guidelines need to be implemented for moderators to be able to perform their duties to a higher standard.

Using the report inapporiate messsage feature gets sent to moderators anyway. As for banning an IP address, I don't see that as a good idea. IP addresses are almost always dynamic, and all banning an IP address does would do would be to inconvenience another customer.  I sometimes try to use the Community using mobile data, only to be refused access to the site to allow me to because they banned the IP address that my phone connected to.

Interesting....the moderator doesn't seem to know how to handle this situation. He suggested I "report" it and follow the steps there in. Lol! That's what I did to get him. I suggested he ask a senior colleague for advice and that he could ban both the IP address and email associated with the account. I don't quite understand why I know more about this than an employee does? As I commented in another post more training and policy guidelines need to be implemented for moderators to be able to perform their duties to a higher standard.

The moderators suggestion to report it as spam is not possible from private messages as there is no edit (3 dots) option. Waiting to see what the next move is to be.

Looks like I may be the only target..? And the offending new member is....Screenshot_20191222-161023.png

@ShawnC13  I reported it right away and received a very prompt response from a moderator to report it as spam. I have asked how to do that since I don't see a particular way to do so....

There is a member account....havent looked at it yet but will now.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@darlicious wrote:

Has anyone else just recieved a sexually explicit proposition in their private messages or am i the only "lucky" one targeted by some weirdo chick...im in a little shock right now. I was not expecting that!

Copy and past it and report to Moderators that will get them banned.  Is it a member that posts or do you think just a spam account?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

Nope I'm not that 'lucky'

Report it, they will be blocked

I believe it happens from time to time

Not nice I know

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

@darliciousNope, but if you feel like something is wrong you can report the message. If you look in the bottom left corner of the message it has a button that says "report". I have got some strange ones in my day, I just delete them.

Need Help? Let's chat.