cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential security risk message reported when access publicmobile.ca

CellphoneuserPM
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

While using firefox I occasionally get an error message "Potential security risk message" while opening https://publicmobile.ca. This started occurring in Jan-2020 and comes and goes,

occurring from my home workstion and from other networks.

When I use browserleaks to identify the IP address of publicmobile.ca I get the below results

publicmobile.ca
IP Address Lookup
IP Address
Hostnameec2-23-23-153-163.compute-1.amazonaws.com
IP Address Location
Country 
United States (US)
State/RegionVirginia (VA)
CityAshburn
ISPAmazon.com, Inc.
ASN14618
TimezoneAmerica/New_York
Local TimeThu, 16 Jan 2020 04:18:08 -0500
Latitude/Longitude39.0481,-77.4728

should Publicmobile be related to the U.S. ?

24 REPLIES 24

CellphoneuserPM

the problem is Publiucmobiles certificates. By going to SSLLabs website it shows "Chain issues incomplete"

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=publicmobile.ca&s=54.83.51.244

chain incomplete.png

This must be corrected for the certificate errors to be removed. I have notified the moderator.

CellphoneuserPM

Persisting and signing in be ignoring a certificate error is very dangerous. The purpose of the certificate is to tell you something is wrong and the site you are connected is not the expected site.

I have tested with Firefox 72 which occasionally gets these certificate error messages but Safari browser does not and both are on the same workstation. Publicmobile moderator says they are not aware of any problem but your response says these problems occur.

@gblackma wrote:

@will13am I have never known any company to post a solution to a non existant problem. In this case these links were provided as solutions by the site of  2 VPN companies.

However this is besides the point, since @CellphoneuserPM  says that he doesn't use one. @CellphoneuserPM , the consensus answer to your question seems to be that there is no risk. And that you should just refresh your browser or restart your computer.  So, we are glad that we could help you. Please choose a solution and let's move on. 

No further comment on who thinks who is correct.  I have complained about SSL certificate problems with the self serve many times in the community forum and to Public Mobile.  If I got a nickel for each time I complained, I would be rich.  I have always persisted and signed in.  There has been no known risks with what I have done.  I have been here for 3+ years.  Anything wrong should have reared its ugly head by now.  

CellphoneuserPM

Just to clarify. This problem is intermittent.

If you never see this problem using Firefox can you tell me from what network? Provide an (IP address to possibly investigate from.

CellphoneuserPM

What links to a VPN company? I am not using a VPN

@will13am I have never known any company to post a solution to a non existant problem. In this case these links were provided as solutions by the site of  2 VPN companies.

However this is besides the point, since @CellphoneuserPM  says that he doesn't use one. @CellphoneuserPM , the consensus answer to your question seems to be that there is no risk. And that you should just refresh your browser or restart your computer.  So, we are glad that we could help you. Please choose a solution and let's move on. 

I use a VPN and occasionally get that message. I reboot and it goes away. I know nothing of these things as everyone knows this is not my area of expertise. So I wanted to know if it was related to getting the warning or not. Simple. Im taking the banana and putting it on my cereal. That problem is solved. No more banana.

CellphoneuserPM

I do not know why you brought up VPN? I am not using a VPN and if I was the certificate verifies the web site https://publicmobile.ca and would give the same results.

@CellphoneuserPM  What version of Firefox are you using?

If you're not running 72.0.1 (for 64-bit), you may want to update it.

CellphoneuserPM

The message I receive appears and disappears without reseting Firefox. I find it interesting that others do not notice this problem as it is a maor security problem.

public mobile error message.png

@gblackma wrote:

@will13am This seems to be a problem for VPN when using the Firefox web browser. If you do a search i.e. "Firefox security warning with VPN", the result supplies you with fixes like this https://www.expressvpn.com/support/troubleshooting/your-connection-is-not-private/ 

Or https://nordvpn.com/blog/your-connection-is-not-private-error/ so the problem exists. 

@will13am wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@will13am If the PM servers are located in the US. Wouldn't a VPN jump change to a US address, perhaps confusing Firefox's security into the message?

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@CellphoneuserPM  Dobyou use a vpn?

How does VPN help here?  I have gotten this warning while using a VPN.  I am certain my VPN doesn't leak IP or DNS. 

What does your IP address have to do with SSL certificate errors?  The self serve is buggy.  Routing the traffic around the world through a different IP doesn't change anything.  Dar went off topic.  Let's not try to make it out like the suggestion must be relevancy.  

I don't buy the story.  I have logged into the self serve 100s time while on VPN and no issues.  In fact most of the time that I see the SSL certificate error is when I am not on a VPN. 

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I use firefox but I've never had the message. I agree with the suggestion that the issue will be fixed after restarting your browser /computer. I always restart them when I face any probrems.

@LovesToPM wrote:

@CellphoneuserPM 

I use Firefox without any issues.

As @will13am suggested, restart your browser and computer if needed, the problem should resolve itself.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

Looks like PM uses Amazon's AWS to host it's front end servers and it's not unusual for this servers to be located in one of Amazon's US data centers.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@CellphoneuserPM 

I use Firefox without any issues.

As @will13am suggested, restart your browser and computer if needed, the problem should resolve itself.

Apparently the banana has everything to do with the apples and oranges when they hang out in the same fruit bowl.  thx @gblackma 

@will13am This seems to be a problem for VPN when using the Firefox web browser. If you do a search i.e. "Firefox security warning with VPN", the result supplies you with fixes like this https://www.expressvpn.com/support/troubleshooting/your-connection-is-not-private/ 

Or https://nordvpn.com/blog/your-connection-is-not-private-error/ so the problem exists. 

@will13am wrote:

@gblackma wrote:

@will13am If the PM servers are located in the US. Wouldn't a VPN jump change to a US address, perhaps confusing Firefox's security into the message?

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

How does VPN help here?  I have gotten this warning while using a VPN.  I am certain my VPN doesn't leak IP or DNS. 

What does your IP address have to do with SSL certificate errors?  The self serve is buggy.  Routing the traffic around the world through a different IP doesn't change anything.  Dar went off topic.  Let's not try to make it out like the suggestion must be relevancy.  

@will13am  Whoops...sorry!

@gblackma   They're talking apples and oranges. I saw a banana in the fruit bowl. So I asked about the banana in case it related to the other fruit. It doesn't.

@gblackma wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  I was curious if the VPN correlated with the warning.

Totally unrelated.  

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  I was curious if the VPN correlated with the warning.

@darlicious wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Public Mobile has SSL certificate problems.  It comes and goes, not sure if it's real or not.  Could be that the site is so buggy that it messes up the browser.  I get this warning a lot on Firefox also.  I close the browser and restart, problem goes away.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@CellphoneuserPM  Do you use a vpn?

Need Help? Let's chat.