cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to send a text message to an email?

BikerRay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My previous Bell phone allowed it by prefixing "6245" before an email address. See https://support.bell.ca/mobility/rate_plans_features/what_is_text_messaging_and_how_to_use_it?step=4 Is a similar function available with Public Mobile? (PM is great so far BTW!)

19 REPLIES 19

JCjr

Google messaging uses some new janky MMS offshoot that uses mobile data that they're trying to get carriers to standardize on so that they - Google - can control the standard.  I'm using a Alcatel Go Flip phone with standard SMS/MMS functionality.

BikerRay

Thanks for that... email to text works fine. Unfortunately for me text msg to email doesn't work, as I don't have a data plan right now. I tried enabling data, but it just sits there trying to send an MMS message. Someday I'll get data! (I wanted it as I wrote an app that can show the cellphone location by sending a text msg to an email with the Google Maps coordinates. It can send to another cellphone, so I'll have to just use that. There are apps that can do that already, but it's fun to write your own!)

BikerRay

I'll give it a go. As a new user, PM seems pretty **bleep** good, and I've recommended it to some friends. Years of dealing with Bell has made me cynical, and cautious! I may buy a better phone, then upgrade my plan with PM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BikerRay wrote:

For that, you need a data plan, which I don't have. I don't like turning on data, as I have previously been dinged (by Bell) for accidentally using data with no plan. I'm not sure what would happen with Public Mobile. Maybe I'll upgrade my plan to get some data if I think I can use it.

Texting to an email address flips into MMS mode. MMS needs data mode on. MMS does *not* consume paid data. Nor is paid data needed. There are no dings here.

If you don't have data in your plan you will not be dinged any overage charges that's the beauty of Public Mobile plans

@BikerRay wrote:

For that, you need a data plan, which I don't have. I don't like turning on data, as I have previously been dinged (by Bell) for accidentally using data with no plan. I'm not sure what would happen with Public Mobile. Maybe I'll upgrade my plan to get some data if I think I can use it.

PM is prepaid so once your data expires the service stops working and there are no extra charges period.

BikerRay

Jbanks1989

On my iPhone I can text an email, it works via imessage

BikerRay

Thanks, I'll try it soon.

@BikerRay wrote:

Thanks. If I turn on data (my plan has no data) and another app tries to use data, what happens? A similar thing happened with Bell, and I got dinged $15 for a few MBytes of data I accidentally used.

Public Mobile is prepaid meaning no extra charges so if you turn on data and it works, Bonus!!Smiley Happy

BikerRay

Thanks. If I turn on data (my plan has no data) and another app tries to use data, what happens? A similar thing happened with Bell, and I got dinged $15 for a few MBytes of data I accidentally used.

zork1984

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Unfortunately currently not available for PM customers

It's the same as Telus. It works fine.

Thanks.   I was looking for email to SMS too.  I am surprised it just used msg.telus.com since Koodo has it own domain.  I couldn't figure that out since I was never able to get SMS to email to work - my iPhone said delievered, but neither my work nor gmail account could receive it.  (I was able to do with Koodo before, although sometimes intermittently).

EDIT: GMAIL received OK... work was intermittent.

@geopublic wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

This is an incredibly easy process, as long as your service plan allows you to send MMS (picture or data rich) messages. If you have the most bare-bones text messaging plan, then you might not be able to send MMS messages. However, rather than hopping on your service provider’s site and spending half an hour trying to determine if your plan includes MMS messaging, the fastest way to figure things out is to do a quick test.

To send a text to an email address, compose a text like you normally would, and enter the desired email address into the box where you would normally put a phone number. It’s that easy. Try sending one to yourself first to see if it works. If it does, great. If your text doesn’t appear in your inbox after a reasonable amount of time, there’s a chance that your mobile plan doesn’t include MMS messaging, but this is rather unlikely.

Another option in case you have data and you've reached your text limit or can't text for any reason is to send a text via email.

To send a text just enter the recepients mobile number@provider email address

Unfortunately currently not available for PM customers but it's available from the following providers. To send a text just enter the recepients mobile number@provider email address

Provider Email Address:
Bell Mobility @txt.bell.ca
Bell Mobility @txt.bellmobility.ca
Fido @fido.ca
Koodo Mobile @msg.koodomobile.com
Microcell @fido.ca
Manitoba Telecom Systems @text.mtsmobility.com
MTS @text.mtsmobility.com
NBTel @wirefree.informe.ca
PageMart @pmcl.net
PageNet @pagegate.pagenet.ca
President’s Choice @txt.bell.ca
Rogers @pcs.rogers.com
Sasktel @sms.sasktel.com
Telus @msg.telus.com
Virgin Mobile @vmobile.ca

I think you are answering the corollary to the actual question.  These links are for sending a text message to a phone number via email.  The OP question is sending a text message to an email address.  This site confirms the links you provided.  Public Mobile supports text to email and text via email.  Those on the $10/50/50 plan can resort to sending text via email if they so choose. 

https://smartcanucks.ca/how-to-send-free-text-messages-to-rogers-fido-telus-bell-virgin-cell-phones-...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

Unfortunately currently not available for PM customers

It's the same as Telus. It works fine.

Thanks for the text to email thing @Triguy. I knew email to text but not the other way around.

All plans (except obviously those without texting) have MMS. (although I bet it would work anyway)

@Triguy wrote:

This is an incredibly easy process, as long as your service plan allows you to send MMS (picture or data rich) messages. If you have the most bare-bones text messaging plan, then you might not be able to send MMS messages. However, rather than hopping on your service provider’s site and spending half an hour trying to determine if your plan includes MMS messaging, the fastest way to figure things out is to do a quick test.

To send a text to an email address, compose a text like you normally would, and enter the desired email address into the box where you would normally put a phone number. It’s that easy. Try sending one to yourself first to see if it works. If it does, great. If your text doesn’t appear in your inbox after a reasonable amount of time, there’s a chance that your mobile plan doesn’t include MMS messaging, but this is rather unlikely.

Another option in case you have data and you've reached your text limit or can't text for any reason is to send a text via email.

To send a text just enter the recepients mobile number@provider email address

Unfortunately currently not available for PM customers but it's available from the following providers. To send a text just enter the recepients mobile number@provider email address

Provider Email Address:
Bell Mobility @txt.bell.ca
Bell Mobility @txt.bellmobility.ca
Fido @fido.ca
Koodo Mobile @msg.koodomobile.com
Microcell @fido.ca
Manitoba Telecom Systems @text.mtsmobility.com
MTS @text.mtsmobility.com
NBTel @wirefree.informe.ca
PageMart @pmcl.net
PageNet @pagegate.pagenet.ca
President’s Choice @txt.bell.ca

Public Mobile @msg.telus.com
Rogers @pcs.rogers.com
Sasktel @sms.sasktel.com
Telus @msg.telus.com
Virgin Mobile @vmobile.ca

**Edit to include Pulic Mobile workaround **

jotsang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@BikerRay wrote:

Unfortunately, the messaging app just gets stuck in "sending". I don't have data with my bare minimum ($10) plan, which MMS requires. Thanks anyway. (I had a similar issue with Bell... my contract said I could send pictures, but I had no MMS. When I asked Bell, they said "Sure you can, but you need WiFi." They wanted me to enable data on a non-data plan, which costs $15 for a few meg.)

Try enabling data on your phone and see if it works. MMS requires you to turn on data but it is not supposed to use your data allocation. There is no harm to test as Public Mobile is prepaid and won't charge you extra $$.

BikerRay

Unfortunately, the messaging app just gets stuck in "sending". I don't have data with my bare minimum ($10) plan, which MMS requires. Thanks anyway. (I had a similar issue with Bell... my contract said I could send pictures, but I had no MMS. When I asked Bell, they said "Sure you can, but you need WiFi." They wanted me to enable data on a non-data plan, which costs $15 for a few meg.)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This may depend on the texting app, for me sending text to email is as straightforward as typing in the email address into the recipient box instead of a phone number.  I am referring to the google messaging app. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.