cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Scam taking advantage of latest users with provincial plans...

tharkhold
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So, I posted this deep in the other thread, will start it here to make it more visible to others.

-----

I got this sms yesterday, I seemed related to the 'outage' that some experienced with their the province-wide plan...

I got a text message from 306-991-0020 (displayed as such - not the usual "Public Mobile"), and it says that there has been a refund on my account in the order of 45$. To redeem it, it asks that I click on http://159.203.0.192/.  DO NOT CLICK ON IT!

Now, as I am extermely suspicious, I opened this IP address on my browser, and I got a "warning, malicious website" message. That "45$" credit was also weird, as I am still on the 75$/90day plan, and "45" isn't a normal/whole fraction of "75". (25, or 50 would have been more 'normal' in my case)

I have reported it as spam.

If others got something similar, please post for all to be aware of these. It seems that scammers have been quick to exploit this issue with provincial-wide accounts.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks! I don't normally trust those message for e-transfer or money sent to me. It is a reminder for us all. 

tharkhold

I'm actually extremely surprised at the speed at which this sms popped up so soon after the actual legitimate issue(s) with provincial plans.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thank you for posting and warning others, everyone should be helping against scammers!

tharkhold

Yeah I figured as much.

The normal numbers I get from PM actually display "Public Mobile" for any updates; vs this one that only had the number display.

I've forwarded it to the Spam center.

Left it here for others to look/search for this number so they also know it might be a scam related to the recent account outage.

FYI: I haven't 'suffered' any issues on my account, and I haven't gotten anything in the private message section of my account either.

Cheers

Need Help? Let's chat.