cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting seems to be getting faster and faster!

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Ever since I started helping others port their numbers to Public last year, I've noticed the porting process getting faster and faster, today I helped someone port from fido and it took less than 20 minutes for their Public sim card to complete poting their number over! Half year ago it took an hour or so, and even to start new activation with new number took hours to a full day before, and 10 years ago when I ported to wind it took 1-5 business days to complete port, I guess the future will be instant ports soon that take only minutes to complete.

With ports completing so fast now, all the people worried that porting is a hassle not worth doing won't have to worry about down time during ports anymore - making it easier and faster to port definetly means expensive companies can't rely on keeping customers by scaring them with myths of porting being too much trouble etc, which means a more competitve market overrall that benefits companies like Public who always have the best prices!

12 REPLIES 12

Pound
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Now this could be a useful peice of information to persuade people to switch, as pointed out by one earlier post. 

Wholecloud
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would say mine was less than 5 mins but that was in the middle of the night.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Back in the day, porting was quite the manual process.  My first ever port was from Bhell to Rogers literally on the first day that porting was went live.  It took over 2 weeks because the fine folks at Rogers dropped the ball and lost my number in their system.  They kept blaming Bhell for not releasing my number and of course Bhell was adamant that they did.  It took daily calls for more than 2 weeks before I found someone who knew his stuff and was willing to take up my case personally until it was complete.  This motivated person took a couple of days to make it happen.  Fast forward 12 years and with fully automated systems as long as the right information is supplied, the porting will work 100%.  

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@TheGx 

yes, when I ported from Rogers to PM, it took effect immediately - I couldn't believe it Woman Surprised

@TheGx wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@TheGxyes mobile ports are pretty quick. the issue is when there is a  porting error.  and with current wait times it can take upto 48 hours to get mods to reply and start fixing it.

@mimmo  True, but I ment to say that barring any unusual errors like giving wrong info or accidental technical errors etc, I just more and more impressed with the ease and speed porting to Public has become.

I have never had an issue with any of the over 20 I have done or helped with.  I think it comes down to the accuracy of the information provided (obviously).  I have noticed the difference between providers.  Rogers has been the ones for me that have taken the longest and Telus the fastest like done in 5 minutes.  Glad to hear more positive porting experiences though!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

TheGx

@mimmo wrote:

@TheGxyes mobile ports are pretty quick. the issue is when there is a  porting error.  and with current wait times it can take upto 48 hours to get mods to reply and start fixing it.

@mimmo  True, but I ment to say that barring any unusual errors like giving wrong info or accidental technical errors etc, I just more and more impressed with the ease and speed porting to Public has become.

TheGx

Common excuse I get when I tell people to switch to Public is that they think porting is or will be a hassle, but now it so fast that people won't be able to use that excuse anymore - the only excuse they have left not to switch to Public now is that they like wasting $ and don't like saving $.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

has4408
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just ported from Fido today. Less than 2 hours

mojorising

Mine took 30 minutes porting from freedom mobile back in February.

funpig

I signed up for PM and ported my number from Telus last week.  Everything was working in about 20 minutes.

funpig

Double post

Need Help? Let's chat.