cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting numbers + Public Mobile Plans

babyycake
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi MODs and everyone,

Currently two of my family members have plans with Public Mobile. 

Family member A has a grandfathered plan, but has relocated out of country and hence will no longer have use for this plan.

Family member B has a Talk-only plan.

Is there any way I can have Family member B change to Family member A's plan? I wasn't able to port the number over when I tried online. I would really hate to use Family member A's plan as we have been loyal customers of PM over the years. Please advise and provide options. Thank you all very much.

10 REPLIES 10

@babyycake  I should have reiterated that contacting a moderator is not necessary just gave you the how to....

Do a little shopping around....Bell has $5 plan   $10 SIM

Virgin $5 plan     $10 SIM

Fido  from $1 per day   $10 SIM

Lucky $15 plan  $4 SIM at dollar stores

Call costco they may have sim cards from $2 and up ask if there are any deals on sims from different providers freedoms best deal seems to be $19 p/m

@babyycake wrote:

Hi @mimmo ,

Sorry as this will be my first time doing so.

Therefore, I keep everything as is on the accounts. I grab a Lucky SIM card and plan.

And I activate the Lucky SIM card with Family member B's phone number? Therefore that means Family member B's plan is still active on PM as I haven't touched it. Correct?

Then, I go back into Family member A's plan and enter/port Family member B's number?

If you can provide me with steps that I should take, would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so very much for your patience!

When "B" gets ported to Lucky, "B"'s account at Public Mobile will be pernanently closed.  But yes, at that point, all you're doing is porting in a number to the older "A" Public Mobile account, just as any other.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@babyycake wrote:

Hi @mimmo ,

Therefore, I keep everything as is on the accounts. I grab a Lucky SIM card and plan.

And I activate the Lucky SIM card with Family member B's phone number?  yes Therefore that means Family member B's plan is still active on PM as I haven't touched it. Correct? no their account is closed as you ported out the number

Then, I go back into Family member A's plan and enter/port Family member B's number? yes you use the lucky account info

If you can provide me with steps that I should take, would be greatly appreciated!

you had it almost down pat  when porting make sure you double check account numers and name on account, and that the ports are completed before doing the next steps.  I might wait a day or two before each port as you have lots of time.

also there miht be another company that has a cheaper way to port out,  but i can't remember which one it is. 

babyycake

Hi @mimmo ,

And I activate the Lucky SIM card with Family member B's phone number? Therefore that means Family member B's plan is still active on PM as I haven't touched it. Correct?

Then, I go back into Family member A's plan and enter/port Family member B's number?

mimmo

@babyycake , @darlicious   no need to contact mods. yes it can be done.  many people did a similar operation when PM had freedom only migration plans.  they ported to freedom and then they ported back to PM as new customers.

just make sure your port is complete leaving PM on account B before attempting to port the number back to Account A

@babyycake  To get a response from a moderator  you must tag them in the send to bar in private messages and send a private message or click on the (?) at the bottom right of your screen and submit a ticket via Simon explaining your issue to the moderators. Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number will pop up indicating a message from the moderators thru your private message box. Responding promptly to messages will speed up your service times. You can also type key words in the search bar and hit go to get previous threads on how users have done the same kind of porting as you want to accomplish.

Absolutely...lucky has the cheapest SIM cards and basic plan. Just make sure all accounts are active when porting out.

babyycake

Hi @darlicious ,

Thank you for your reply. 

Family member A's phone number can be cancelled, as he will no longer have use for it. What I wish is to keep the grandfathered plan. Hence, ideally it would be great to have Family member B to take over the grandfathered plan and keep the number as well.

@mimmo provided an excellent solution. Just once again confirming, I can proceed?

Thank you both!!

babyycake

Hi @mimmo,

Thank you so much for the quick response!

Prior to initiating this process, do you know anyone who has already gone through this process? I just want to make sure this is successful so I'm not going out there to buy a SIM card and for the port to be unsuccessful. 

Can a MOD confirm this please? @CS_Agent 

@babyycake  What plan does fm. A have? Any rewards? What plan does fm.B have? Any rewards?

Are you interested in keeping the (grandfathered?) plans? How important is keeping the phone numbers associated with each account?

Edit: Sorry is there any importance to keeping plan B or just the ph #? Otherwise @mimmo has the answer.

mimmo

You need to port members B number to an external carrier (say lucky $4 sim card + plan)  then port that number to members A plan

Need Help? Let's chat.