cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number scam

dsi1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

If let's say something like 'porting number scam' happens (where scammers ports your number to gain access to whatever account), how would public mobile handle that? Public mobile has no live support and no call center, which means you can potentially loose your number (if not cought in time).If the worst happens, all you can do is PM admin which can take days to get a reply? I really like public mobile and have no issues with it, but this question bugs me. 

13 REPLIES 13

esnirer

I just got SIM Jacked, was not possible to log into account to change things since they changed account and i got a ForgotPassword/LoginUnsuccessfulUser_LoginDisabled error 

So I am now fcked for phone number and services with NO CUSTOMER SUPPORT to turn to. 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@dsi1 wrote:

My main point is, if illigal porting does happen somehow, taking action right away is critical, carrier needs to start the reversal process right away... You can't be waiting days for moderator to see the message, it can be too late and your number will be gone for good 

I don't understand why he/she will illegally port your PM phone number to his/her account, it doesn't make sense, there's no benefit for his/her illegally porting phone number. The only benefit for he/she illegally porting phone number is he/she knew your bank account number, password, and need phone number to do two steps verification. But again if he/she knew your bank account number and password, he/she can change phone number in your bank account, therefore he/she don't need port your phone number.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@dsi1 Some comfort? 

Fraud Protection - porting

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I think PM should update this forum software  to auto detect post with email address, account # and phone# and replaced with **** similar to replacing swear word with **bleep***.

On the other hand, people should know better not to post email address, account# or phone# oin forum posts.  But I see posts on this forum all the time.

dsi1

My main point is, if illigal porting does happen somehow, taking action right away is critical, carrier needs to start the reversal process right away... You can't be waiting days for moderator to see the message, it can be too late and your number will be gone for good 

popping

@gblackma wrote:

@dsi1 one of the moderators made an interesting point, as a safegaurd against illegal porting slightly change the spelling of name in your self service / my account .  You can always change it back before initiating a port out if you so desire. 

Changing the name onf PM account will not help.  If someone can login to your account, your account #, phone# and name on the account will be known to spammer. 

Use strong password and don't use the same password everywhere.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gblackma wrote:

@dsi1 one of the moderators made an interesting point, as a safegaurd against illegal porting slightly change the spelling of name in your self service / my account .  You can always change it back before initiating a port out if you so desire. 

How would that affect your name on PM vs name on credit card for auto pay? So are we saying that illegal porting is done by some one that may know you?

popping

@dsi1 wrote:

That's the problem with public mobile, you message admin and have to sit, wait and prey that they will reply fast so you don't loose your number... Where if you have carrier (let's say lucky, if I can say that ) that has phone support, you can call in right away and they should start the process of sorting things out... 

Moderator response time is within 24 hours recently.

I think first line of defend is beef up you password to your self-serve account.

When someone uses your email address to login to your PM account, s/he will know your account #, your phone # and the name of yout account to port out your number.

If you are using the PM phone number for your bank two step verification, your bank account will be at risk too.  Don't use the same password everywhere.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

dsi1

That's the problem with public mobile, you message admin and have to sit, wait and prey that they will reply fast so you don't loose your number... Where if you have carrier (let's say lucky, if I can say that ) that has phone support, you can call in right away and they should start the process of sorting things out... 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@dsi1 wrote:

Hi, 

If let's say something like 'porting number scam' happens (where scammers ports your number to gain access to whatever account), how would public mobile handle that? Public mobile has no live support and no call center, which means you can potentially loose your number (if not cought in time).If the worst happens, all you can do is PM admin which can take days to get a reply? I really like public mobile and have no issues with it, but this question bugs me. 

If Hacker hacked your account and changed your address,etc. before you port your previously phone numer to PM, then when you are porting, PM should find your existing address didn't match the address that was changed by hacker, therefore the porting should not be completed. That's what I am thinking. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@dsi1 

That is a valid concern.  A few other members of the forum have expressed the same concern the last several months.  

The different mobile companies are suppose to come up with something to help prevent this sort of scam.  Telus/PM has not stated their official response.  

A scammer would need to need your account number, phone number and account holder name.  So, a hacker would need to access your self service account and/or email address registered to your PM account.  Keep a strong password for both.  

Some people have recommended changing your account holder name since you need the right name to port over number.  

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

First step is to log into your account if you still can and report your phone lost our stolen

Second step is to contact moderators with urgent on the subject

Then your bank

Remove two step verification so that they can't access your accounts

Change your passwords everywhere too

Probably police before doing anything

Try to figure out how did they get needed info to mange to port you, people have hard time putting their own numbers

Need Help? Let's chat.