cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number in to PM plan and redirecting/forwarding old line

mymo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,  Hope someone can assist. 

I currently have two numbers one I use personally with PM (line A) and one I was using for work with another provider (line B).  I would like to move to a single line by porting Line B into the PM plan as its the better plan.  For the next year or so I want to redirect or forward all calls coming to Line A into Line B as I let everyone know of the change. I'm concerned as soon as I port Line B into PM I will lose Line A.  

Any suggestions to keep both numbers for some time?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

@mymo wrote:

Thank you @computergeek541 !

This was my concern. 

Is this because the moment I port line B into the plan from Line A, that Line A number is released completely from my ownership?

If I set up call forwarding from Line A to Line B first (using fongo or similar)  and then tried to port Line B into PM plan some time later will I still lost that old Line A phone number? 

(My issue is the Line B I've had for many more years and really it needs to be the primary for me.) 

There's no such thing as porting from Public to Public. Public won't allow it. If you port out B to another carrier and then port it back into Public Line A, the number that was at Line A is lost. You can't forward to or from an inactive phone number.

From a technical viewpoint, they could allow what you're trying to accomplish, but Public Mobile won't do it.  Customer service has been told not to.  In theory, you could also do the porting out of Line B's number and then port it into Line A.  You would then have to activate a new Public Mobile account and try to retrieve the old phone number and have it assigned to the new account.  However, as I said, moderators have been instructed not to do swapping of this type, and I fear that such a request of reactivating an old phone number might be seen as amounting to the same by them.

mymo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you @computergeek541 !

This was my concern. 

Is this because the moment I port line B into the plan from Line A, that Line A number is released completely from my ownership?

If I set up call forwarding from Line A to Line B first (using fongo or similar)  and then tried to port Line B into PM plan some time later will I still lost that old Line A phone number? 

(My issue is the Line B I've had for many more years and really it needs to be the primary for me.) 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@mymo wrote:

Rather than converting your "extra" line to Public Mobile now, for which you'd have to subscribe to at least the $15 plan, I'd recommend setting up a freephoneline.ca account (run by Fongo) and porting your "extra" number to that for now. There may be a small fee for the transfer but no monthly charge after that. You can simply set the number to forward to your primary cel number, and use the Desktop app to make calls from it every month or so to maintain activity.

Then later you can port the number elsewhere, such as Public Mobile.

You could also subscribe to Fongo's "Home Phone" service which gives you a turnkey analog line replacement, for about $60 for the first month (hardware+porting fees) and $5/mo+tax every month afterwards. Also fully configurable forwarding, but no app required to use to make calls, because you can plug a analog real phone into the provided adapter. (I have this for home phone service actually)

@mymo wrote:

I currently have two numbers one I use personally with PM (line A) and one I was using for work with another provider (line B).  I would like to move to a single line by porting Line B into the PM plan as its the better plan.  For the next year or so I want to redirect or forward all calls coming to Line A into Line B as I let everyone know of the change. I'm concerned as soon as I port Line B into PM I will lose Line A.  

Thanks

Since you wish to keep the current Public Mobile plan and phone number, what you're asking for cannot be done.

@mymo when you Have your accounts set up use this article to learn how to initiate call forwarding. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-To-Use-Your-Phone-and-Plan-Feature...

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mymo wrote:

Thanks

When you port over the line B to  PM

make sure you open a new account with a new email address. 

Basically you will have 2 separate accounts to log into.

Cheers

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @mymo 

For one time payment of $25 you can port your business line to fongo.

There you can have it forwarded to your personal line when you want to, you can use it with their app when you want to, they email you copy of your voicemail when you don't forward it. You can receive sms for free too. I think it costs a bit to send, I forgot good much maybe 10 for 6 months of unlimited text but I'm not sure anymore.

You get to keep it forever and use it anywhere you have access to Internet. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mymo wrote:

Thanks

Line B will have to be a separate account with a separate email address and sim.

Need Help? Let's chat.