cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting issue

mlepard
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,. I'm having an issue porting my number successfully from an outside VoIP provider.

My cell and account show the ported number as being assigned.  But aclling the number and trying to send a text show it as not yet assigned.

The issue I have is that I thought everything was good before I tested and cancelled the DID with the VoIP provider.

Have I lost the number? 😢

5 REPLIES 5

@victory_saber, I think you meant to direct that post to @mlepard

Thanks.

@mlepard wrote:

Hi,. I'm having an issue porting my number successfully from an outside VoIP provider.

My cell and account show the ported number as being assigned.  But aclling the number and trying to send a text show it as not yet assigned.

The issue I have is that I thought everything was good before I tested and cancelled the DID with the VoIP provider.

Have I lost the number? 😢

Did you call in to cancel your VOIP service?  If you have done that, your number porting request will fail.  You can only transfer and active phone number.  If that's the case, you'll need to contact your old provider to reactivate the service.  The VOIP service would have been cancelled automatically after the phone number was fully transfered. 

The phone number already being assigned to your Public Mobile account is normal.  This does not mean that the phone number has been ported over.  The number being assigned to your Public Mobile account happens instantaneously, and before the request is even approved by the old provider.  Until that process is complete, all incoming calls continue to go to your old service.

Voip services are considered land-line services when it comes to number porting guidelines.  These can take a number of days to transfer a phone number, even if there aren't any glitches along the way.

victory_saber

@stonechucker have you tried to power cycle your smartphone? As @mlepard mentioned it's always best to wait for the Port to complete before cancelling services or it maybe in limbo. If all fails, may want to contact your VOIP provider to see if there is a chance to determine the porting issues.

mlepard

Okay.  There is another problem with public mobile while I wait.

The temp number I had with PM is gone...I can no longer dial it.  My outgoing calls come from my ported number.  I can't send text either.  I obviously can't dial in.

Is there anyway to get a temp number while I wait for the port over?  I'm in the middle without real cell service.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Porting from a VoIP system can take 2 weeks... it's a long process.

You should probably call back to your provider, and ask them to restore your account and DID so that it can be fully processed.

I'm assuming you just initiated the port very recently, and the VoIP provider hasn't started the process of sending the information.

For future information, NEVER cancel your service before the port is fully completed.

Need Help? Let's chat.