cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Rogers

danielcook604
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there - quick question as Rogers doesnt seem to want to give me a straight answer. Every single time i call they try to get me to stay, or ask me why I'm leaving....

I have 2 numbers under a single account - we're paying 276 dollars a month which is just robbery for 8 gigs of data. We both have device  balances remaining around 500 each which im okay to pay out as the savings from public mobile will easily offset it in a few months.

Can i easily just port it and will rogers send me a final bill once ported>? Does my service get cancelled? Will they allow me to port if the account still has device balances?

hoping someone can help! thank you,

8 REPLIES 8

@PublicHelper  Posting your referal code in this forum is not allowed. Please remove it!

PublicHelper
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just ported all 4 Rogers accounts last weekend so want to provide the most updated experience to potential / new members!  For those of you who are worried about how to port and the sequence of phone numbers that you should port, here's what I learned (It was easy!)  I find that going to Rogers stores on a quiet day is much easier than doing things online yourself (and you can complete some of the actions below yourself...)

Go to Rogers stores to (if not done yet):
Get your phones unlocked (Free service)

Find out which phone number is the main phone number if you have multiple lines under the same account!

Rogers will give you your account number, AND PIN number.  You need both to set up PM.

Tips: If you have multiple phones, I suggest using sticky notes to put #1, #2, #3, #4... and then on a separate piece of paper, list out the phone numbers for each #'d phone, and the email address, password and PIN you'd like to use for the accounts.  This will help you or the PM kiosk rep big time at set up and for future account login's!

Once that's done, get a SIM card for each phone from PM.  Again, I went to the kiosk so that the rep can do everything for me but you can always purchase the SIM online or at a kiosk and set up the rest yourself.

For your peace of mind, port your main phone# LAST.  Some said it doesn't matter, but I also heard from other tech sites that it's a good practice just to avoid any potential problems with other sub-lines under that main phone's account.

Follow instructions on how to set up the account....
- don't forget to find a referral code so that you will get $10 credit right away! 

- Port the phone number...You can pretty much dial outbound right away (I Iike to call someone just to test).  Incoming call will be available after 1-2 hours.  For me it was about 2 hours on a Sunday night.  I make sure the phone is ok before I move on to setting up the next one.  But before you leave your account website...few reminders:

- I like to set up the autopay right away as well before I move on to setting up the next user's phone. 

- Check the expiry date and set up a reminder to renew the card.  Mine will be expired in just a few months and I noticed that as I signed up 🙂

- Get the reward code so this person is ready to refer! 🙂   

- Repeat the same set up.  Again, make sure you get a referral code for $10 credit for new activation. 

Hope this helps.  Enjoy!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@danielcook604, I was once a Rogers customers many years ago.  Porting out is just as easy as with any provider.  When porting from Rogers, just be careful with entering the account number into the porting screen.  The Rogers bill shows the account number with hyphens.  Please exclude those when entering the account number for porting.  The account holder name should be entered exactly as it appears on the bill.  You do want to include hyphens as applicable.  The submitted port should complete within 30 minutes.  During that time, keep using the Rogers service until the port is complete as indicated by the old service disconnecting.  The final bill will include device balances and proration of service to the termination date. 

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Steps would be:

1. Buy 2 Public Mobile Sims
  2. set up 1st Public Mobile account with temporary phone number
  3. Get phones unlocked from Rogers
  4. Port 1st phone number to Public Mobile account, you will need the Rogers account information to do this. Keep using the Rogers SIM until your service stops working, then you will know the port is complete and can use the Public Mobile SIM.
  5. set up the 2nd Public Mobile account with temporary number (use your first PM account as a referral to get referral bonus of $10 and $1 off per month).
  6. Port 2nd number to PM account.
  7. Your Rogers account should now be cancelled automatically, and Rogers will send you a bill for the balance you owe them.
  8. Enjoy!

Note: With Public Mobile you need a seperate email address for each phone number/account.

I had a similar situation to this with telus although no outstanding balance. I'll give you one tip though. If you share data, usually one of the plans has all the data and the other plan has none. If you port the one with the data on it (lets call it the sharer) first or if it is the first one to port and be closed your other phone (the sharee) will have 0 data from that time forward. You're basically treated like you had a data overage from there.

If you continue to use data on the sharee you could end up with quite a bill, so...

Either port the sharer last or if you want to port both right away, turn data off on the sharee!

Welcome to PM!

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@danielcook604 wrote:

Hi there - quick question as Rogers doesnt seem to want to give me a straight answer. Every single time i call they try to get me to stay, or ask me why I'm leaving....

I have 2 numbers under a single account - we're paying 276 dollars a month which is just robbery for 8 gigs of data. We both have device  balances remaining around 500 each which im okay to pay out as the savings from public mobile will easily offset it in a few months.

Can i easily just port it and will rogers send me a final bill once ported>? Does my service get cancelled? Will they allow me to port if the account still has device balances?

hoping someone can help! thank you,

@danielcook604  Purchase two PM sim cards. Activate them with temp numbers and setup you PM selfserve accounts. Once that is done login into the second Roger's account holder Public Mobile selfserve account and setup the phone port via the change phone number option. You need the account number, name on account and the number. Once that port has completed repeat the same process for the main Rogers account holder. Once that port is also complete your Rogers account will automatically close and you will receive a bill from them to pay what you owe.

Welcome to PM!! Smiley Happy

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

You can easily port from Rogers.. and Yes your services will get cancelled.. They will add the device balance to your final bill. Do note you would want to request Rogers to unlock your devices before you leave.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Yes and yes!  You just explained why they are nick-named "Robbers"

You can start here
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

Make sure your phone (device) is unlocked.

All you need to provide for the port is:
- Phone number
- Account number with old provider
- Account holder name

Need Help? Let's chat.