cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Number

maaji
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I plan to port my number to PM within the next week. I was wondering whether I should or can I activate my SIM for the 10 days then port if that's possible to do or will it be easier to wait it off and port when I'm ready.
28 REPLIES 28

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
It should all be good. If you happen to lose them, we'll get a mod to fix you up.

samimetro
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

so if I signup for a temp number for a month, and during this month, I refer about 3 people, I'll get the discount as promised.

but then I come along and port my number to PM, what happens to my previous referrals? because they were referred by the previous temp phone number.

how does that work?

Saray_O
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @ferrarelli

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I just looked into your issue and will send you a message in a little bit! 🙂 

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Saray_O
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @syed

I'm really sorry about this, 

If you haven't contacted another moderator already, could you send me your Public Mobile SIM card number via private message? 

Thank you! 

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

ferrarelli

I've had an issue with porting my number. I did it around 1230 am on Friday, and evertyhing works except incoming calls. My phone doesn't ring when someone calls me and it goes straight to voicemail.

I've called my old service provider and they said they never received the request.

I did the same thing with my wife's phone later on Friday and it worked perfectly.

I've sent a PM to @Saray_O, and an email via the contact us link. Please let me know when I can expect a response via either mechanism.

Thanks!

netboy12

hi syed

PM is currently experiencing a high number of requests so it may take them a while to reply. Please be patient, they helped me port my number, when i ported my number, there was a error in PM's system so they had to cancel my current account and create a new one.

syed

Hi,

Yesterday i activated my opted to port out fro, virgin to PM. all done but i cannot recieve my call. and still my previous service is active.

its almost 48 hours and no response from PM nor my number is completely ported out. Please help me what to do next

Rockdaddy22
That definitely could be a problem.

netboy12

I'm trying to figure out how to pay off my windtab balance.

I think thats why it wont let me port.

Rockdaddy22
Any update @netboy12

maaji
Sometimes when porting from Wind it does take awhile longer then usual. Usually, it does happen quickly. The porting of my number took about 30min

netboy12

Hi Daredogg

I activated around 11am today, I'm porting from Wind Mobile.

@netboy12 so how long have you been waiting then?  If you check out the Successful Ports Thread, you'll see examples of some of the port times we are seeing. What carrier did you port from?

netboy12

When i requested a port of my old number, i activated my PM account and did the form and its 3:23 PM now and i still havent got a message saying that my porting request has being completed.

srlawren

Thanks for confirming, @Mary_M.  Most unfortunate, but good to know.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @srlawren

That is correct. Once an account is an active, but the referred number was not entered, we cannot manually enter it.

Sorry about that 😞 !

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

srlawren

@maaji my recollection is that it's not possible to enter the referral information, and I don't think the moderators can even do it, unfortunately.  If I'm wrong, hopefully @Mary_M@Shazia_K, or @Saray_O will correct me tomorrow.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

maaji

Its all good. I decided on just porting now. The thing now is that while I was doing it I also was doing something else and realized that I clicked on no instead of yes when it asked if I was referred by someone. Is there a way to add the person as a referral now?

srlawren

@maaji sorry I misunderstood.  You could do that, but please bear in mind that an equivalent plan on a 10-day plan is quite a bit more expensive per day vs. the 30 day plans (and more so the 90 day plans).  Also, bear in mind that your payment/renewal date will move from month to month, given that the plans are 30/90 days and not 1/3 calendar months.

@maaji I have a rather long post discussing the benefits of the 10 day plan as start up. Though PM is very good at resolving activation issues, I suggest being prepared for a short activation delay. Risk free

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

maaji

Its more to do with billing like @dboxtvinfo mentioned.which is why I was thinking of the 10day more. I  wanted to see others point of view on what they recommend. 

Thanks for all your inputs. 

srlawren

@maaji I think @daredogg has answered your question really well.  Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions you might have as well.  🙂

@dboxtvinfo the point of the 10 days is to have a comfort level.  PM is a bit different in that there's no store to go to to speak to a salesperson, and nobody to call if the service doesn't work for you for some reason.  You can assure @maaji as much as you like but everybody's circumstances could vary.  For example, they may not have realized their phone has to be carrier unlocked (or locked to Telus/Koodo is fine) or that their phone wasn't compatible with the Telus network PM runs on, and all of a sudden they have an activated SIM and their phone number already ported in but they can't use the service and are stuck.  Occasionally a SIM may arrive and not work correctly as well, and the person has to wait for a replacement.  If you've still got your phone number active on your previous carrier, you have the time to work these out without risk of missing calls and texts.  That's the point of the 10 day trial!  Nothing wrong with it at all.  In fact, I did it!  Although I didn't run into any issues that would have left me without service, it was nice to have the peace of mind.

dboxtvinfo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Aghhh, the billing dilemma. I remember going through that. Patience is your only option. Make sure your porting # is active .... etc

dboxtvinfo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Whats the point of 10 days.

I assure you it works and you will have same issues too activate for 10 days or 30 days.

But it will be activated. Depends on your ability too follow instructions and comminicate community

Yes, that's what I'm saying... activate the SIM, but instead of porting your number during the activation, you can choose to have PM assign you a number (temporary in your case). When you're ready to port over your main number, you request that in the My Account self-serve.

One thing to note... you need to keep your account active with the current provider for the port to work. If you cancel with your current provider, your phone number could be lost.

maaji
I know the PM service is good but guess I was wondering if I could port my number after I activate the SIM or I need to do when I activate it. My billing date with my current provider doesn't end for another week so I was wondering whether to wait..

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

If you wanted to try out the PM service, then yes, the 10-day plan is a good choice. When you activate the SIM, you have the option of immediately porting over your number, or having PM assign you a number. When you're ready to port over your number, there's a Change Phone Number in the self-serve My Account that will allow you to request your port.

This post shows screenshots of what the Change Phone Number page looks like. Look under Web Self Serve. How do I move my cell phone number to Public Mobile?

You can also refer to this post for more information about the porting process:

How to port your number to Public Mobile

Need Help? Let's chat.