cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port in number twice in a month,possible?

yyzyy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

2 questions,any help from anyone is appreciated

Hi, I read some people said u could only transfer a number once a month, but I just called Chatr and they said it is ok to transfer out even within a month. Anybody experience that before, like transfer twice in a month ? I am not very certain with the Chatr agent. I just transferred into Chatr like 3 weeks ago, and would like to catch the Walmart PM promotion as it is due today.

I could even sign up PM today and wait another week to transfer, but the transfer has to be done on the same date as I joined Chatr a month ago,since I dont wanna top up another month for Chatr. However, the porting process does not seem to be that fast.SO, my 2nd question is if I dont top up Chatr, I am pretty sure they will keep your number for the next 6 month. Can I still transfer my number then? It is confusing that CRTC say the service has to be "active" for switching providers. I dont know whether my account will still be considered as active in the period right after I do not top it up until the port in process completed.

(btw, i will still have money in Chatr, which is just not enough for a monthly payment.)

14 REPLIES 14

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yyzyy  porting is pretty much automatic, not really sure how it works, but basically the info you send and  your existing account info needs to match. if that fails then you are in a stuck port situation and taht takes time for teh mods to fix.

i believe even if you are activating at walmart you can get a 10 referal bonus from PM by adding a referal.  it shoudl stack on that promotion.

yyzyy

porting that fast? The porting itself should be fast, but the question is how long does it take for PM mod team to handle the request. I dont know, but i know the PM mod team respond pretty slow from my previous experience with them for technical issues. Unless the porting process is done automatically by the system, otherwise I dont think the PM mod team can handle it that fast. Of course I hope they can do it really fast.

I have to activate the SIM in walmart since thats what the offer says. I am getting the $25 credit plus free SIM card offer, not the 25 referral one. 

satyam1811
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@yyzyy

I recently moved from Chatr to PM and I can say that the process just took me 15-20 mins including the new sim registration and the porting from Chatr to PM.

If Chatr agent has already confirmed that the porting can be done, you can certainly get the sim from Walmart. Do not activate the sim at walmart if possible and do it using PM online portal at https://activate.publicmobile.ca/. You can also order a SIM online at https://store.publicmobile.ca/cart.

The steps which I followed is:

1. Logged in to Chatr online portal and set a PIN under my account. This will be needed to port the Chatr number to PM.

2. Then go to https://activate.publicmobile.ca/ and follow the screen options to register your new SIM.

3. Provide your chatr details including the PIN and the number which you want after porting (I used the same number which I was using).

4. Go ahead with the plan and payment and VOILA ! You are done.

Thats all what is needed. You can also use someone's referral and would get a 25 CAD credit to your account as part of the ongoing promotion.

Thanks.

mimmo

@will13am wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I have asked previously and have been told that porting a number does not count towards the one number change per 30 days. 

@will13amare you sure?  was it for number porting during activation?  if so, yes  that doesnt count. 

I still  believe you can only change numbers once per 30 days via self serve (as porting and new nnumbers are fount in the same section).   this is form on of teh KB articles "Note that you can change your phone number once every 30 days after you’ve activated."  

Information came from a moderator.

only one way to find out, anyone have a couple extra phone lines/they want to burn/lose 🙂

@mimmo wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I have asked previously and have been told that porting a number does not count towards the one number change per 30 days. 

@will13amare you sure?  was it for number porting during activation?  if so, yes  that doesnt count. 

I still  believe you can only change numbers once per 30 days via self serve (as porting and new nnumbers are fount in the same section).   this is form on of teh KB articles "Note that you can change your phone number once every 30 days after you’ve activated."  

Information came from a moderator.

mimmo

@will13am wrote:

yyzyy

thank you for the answers. I got it

yyzyy

thank you for the answers. I got it

yyzyy

i see, thank you 

yyzyy

i see, so the once 30 days is PM policy,not the CRTC.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

mimmo

@yyzyy  the confusion you are haveing is regarding number changes.  you can only change your number once every 30 days at Public mobile (porting or new number)

If you decide to activate today at wlamart. then activate the 10$ plan and then when you are ready to port  from chatr within the next 30 days do the  port and do an immideate plan change to the plan you want.  also i believe if you refer a friend then you can get an extra $10 bonus from PM  (net $35 bounus - unused plan time)

if you need a referal ask someone in this thread via provate message.

also there is the 25+25 referal bot both parties  for doing everything yourself but the sim will cost you $10.  that promo expires the 13 i think.   not sure which option might be best for you. (nets $15 -unsued plan time)

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

a) ChatR (like all prepaid carriers, including Public Mobile) will not give you a refund for your available funds or any unused portions of your plan

b) sequence for moving from ChatR to Public Mobile:

- call ChatR customer service to get your account number

- set up your Puclic Mobile account with a new number

- make sure all services are working properly

- request port from ChatR a couple of days before the end of the plan cycle so that your account is active and in good standing while the port is processed. Normal port should be completed within 2-4 hours.

If you attempt to port after the end of the plan cycle and your number is not in service (=suspended) the port will fail.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@yyzyy

I do not have personal experience for transferring twice per month.  The moderator will likely get back to you in 1-2 days with your question.  

Yes, you can get a temporary number from Public Mobile today and try a port/transfer later on in the week.  

From my understanding, for a port to be successful, the number has be active (not suspended or inactive).  So, if you miss your Chatr payment, your account would become inactive and port would not be successful.  

Here is a thread from a Public Mobile moderator about porting....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Question-Can-I-port-number-twice/m-p/6171...

Not sure about Chatr policy though....

Need Help? Let's chat.