cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please enable wifi calling

Mreekster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ok I complained to public Mobile and Telus last summer to enable wifi calling and posted it and no one cares. Except now we have an emergency! I commented in Courtney bc I had no reception and now I cannot even call my mom in the middle of East Vancouver. But my wife on Koodo had Wi-Fi calling?!!  This is bull. Enable the software please so I can call my mom on her landline. Permanently too not for a month. This is a safety issue. Public already has no service and 3G speeds. This is enough of of a comprise. 

27 REPLIES 27

GregStarla

I have used TextNow in the USA and Mexico with no issues calling local or long distance.

In lieu of Wi-Fi calling, if you really want your Public Mobile caller ID to show on your outgoing calls with an alternate "Wi-Fi calling type service" (that being VoIP), you can achieve this using service from voip.ms, combined with a softphone app like GS wave lite on your phone. 85¢/mo for a phone number (not required for outgoing calls) and about 1¢ per minute for any calls to US and Canada (all billed USD). You can configure the softphone to transmit any caller ID you want, including your Public Mobile number.

It's a bit technical to setup, but it's a flexible workaround I enjoyed getting working. I also have flexibility to use a real physical analog desk phone via an ATA, and a softphone on my windows PC too (MicroSIP) to make calls.

The call quality is even better than mobile most of the time since there is no recompression, at least when calling most parties where wideband/HD audio is not supported. Like TextNow, this solution will work in most places where you can get Wi-Fi or mobile data while travelling internationally to call back to Canada or US. Other countries have different rates.

@GregStarla- Agreed. But vowifi or wifi calling uses your number. A drawback of TextNow is making local calls if you're out of North America. lol Now I can't remember if I tested calling a local number on vowifi on another service I have when I was out of country recently. I had a local sim service so I didn't think of that test. Rats.

GregStarla

TextNow is an amazing free calling and text app. It works great for situations like this . 

@bunaca 

You are comparing a tier 1 service (Rogers) with a tier 3 service (Public Mobile).

If you move up to Koodo or Telus Mobility you can have those features like Wi-Fi calling and pay more.

In the mean time, as a workaround you could forward your PM phone to another number before leaving coverage area, either to the Rogers line or install the free TextNow App and forward your PM phone to the textnow number.

bunaca

I have same problem.

Cell signal is very bad so on my wife's cell  that has Rogers plan we use wifi calling.

I can't see why PM won't give us the same service.

I will have to go to the provider that will give me that option.

@teachingedumom wrote:

I am also looking for the same. It appears that Public Mobile has not enabled wifi calling. As it also appears that the respondent poster from PM did not actually understand the concept of wifi calling, perhaps the problem is more PM not knowing why customers might need this. In our case, we have a cottage with wifi, but there is no cell phone service. It would be great to be able to seemlessly continue using my phone, including being able to receive phone calls and send messages, without having to use different additional apps. So far this is not possible. 

@teachingedumom I'm pretty sure PM understands the concept of wifi calling. Unfortunately for those that want/need it, PM has chosen not to enable it for us at this time. If it is a deal killer, people are free to go to a higher tier in the Telus family or another provider where it is available and pay more for it.

teachingedumom
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am also looking for the same. It appears that Public Mobile has not enabled wifi calling. As it also appears that the respondent poster from PM did not actually understand the concept of wifi calling, perhaps the problem is more PM not knowing why customers might need this. In our case, we have a cottage with wifi, but there is no cell phone service. It would be great to be able to seemlessly continue using my phone, including being able to receive phone calls and send messages, without having to use different additional apps. So far this is not possible. 

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yeah, Wi-Fi calling is nice to have for those times you might lose connection to PM network, like in your basement or a tall building or something.  Don't have to worry about that much in a big City like Calgary where the network coverage is amazing, but in smaller cities and towns it is a very useful feature.  

Unfortunately the discount carriers like PM will likely be the last to provide this feature. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

More on verifying your phone number and getting Hangouts to send it:

Hangouts - Verify Phone Number for outbound Caller ID

EDIT: for whatever reason, I had to re-verify my phone number in Hangouts to test, but after doing so, I dialed my Fongo number from Hangouts and it came through with the correct caller ID number.  I thought that it also worked from Hangouts in a browser, but those calls seem to be coming through as private caller, so I guess it only works from the mobile Hangouts app.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Mreekster wrote:

The writer in the story is going to ask the Telus rep why we don’t get this feature. I should not have to use a voip app to make a call. A voip call has a unknown number that my mom doesn’t know and she is 79. True Wi-Fi enabled calling uses the phone number attached to my cellphone 

@Mreekster  agin, if you verify your number with Google Hangout Dialer your actual mobile number gets displayed when making a call.

Mreekster

The writer in the story is going to ask the Telus rep why we don’t get this feature. I should not have to use a voip app to make a call. A voip call has a unknown number that my mom doesn’t know and she is 79. True Wi-Fi enabled calling uses the phone number attached to my cellphone 

@turky wrote:

Yes it would be nice if PM had wifi calling. I did not know Koodo has it.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of that either..... guess that must be one of the additional features you get when you pay more $$$.

turky

Yes it would be nice if PM had wifi calling. I did not know Koodo has it.

@DOA wrote:

This is what the OP is referring to:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/wi-fi-calling-everything-you-need-to-know

Hmmm, didn't know Rogers had such a thing implemented! 😯 

As for the OP, yeah, it would be nice if PM also had such a thing in place, but as others have pointed out, there ARE alternatives, so it's not like contact is impossible.....

@Mreekster You can also add a voip app such as TextNow and use it over WiFi to make/receive /send calls and texts for free.

sholey
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Wi-Fi calling is a must these days, not sure what's the hold up with Public Mobile. However, in the meantime you might consider Google Hangouts. It's a very good alternative. You can even enable your own number to be displayed on the receiving phone screen so they know exactly who's calling. The call quality is very good and uses very little data. Hope it helps. 

Knock, knock, yoohoo OP. 

Did you get get your answer? Or can you add more to what you are looking for?

About Wi-Fi Assist

With iOS 9 and later, you can use Wi-Fi Assist to automatically switch to cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. 

How Wi-Fi Assist works

With Wi-Fi Assist, you can stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. For example, if you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. You can use Wi-Fi Assist with most apps like Safari, Apple Music, Mail, Maps, and more. 

When Wi-Fi Assist is activated, you'll see the cellular data icon in the status bar on your device.

Because you'll stay connected to the Internet over cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you might use more cellular data. For most users, this should only be a small percentage higher than previous usage. If you have questions about your data usage, learn more about managing your cellular data or contact Apple Support.

You can use Wi-Fi Assist with any iOS device with iOS 9 or later, except for these models: iPhone 4s, iPad 2 Wi-Fi+Cellular, iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi+Cellular, and iPad mini (1st generation) Wi-Fi+Cellular. 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Mreekster  install Hangouts dialer or similar app to make calls for free across NA using your WiFI connection.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Mreekster 

Do you mean wifi assist calling?

Although I have no idea what it is, how to set it up, or when it could be used 😙😙 

In the meantime use Skype or between Apple products use FaceTime Audio. I use the latter all the time to call my brother from Maple Ridge to Nanaimo and a friend in Anaheim. It’s free, no minutes lost but requires internet. Feel free to use FaceTime audio/video too. But not to early in the morning😚😚

FaceTime by far is a superior product vs Skype. 

I found this, if it helps. BUT NOT REALLY!!

About Wi-Fi Assist

With iOS 9 and later, you can use Wi-Fi Assist to automatically switch to cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. 

How Wi-Fi Assist works

With Wi-Fi Assist, you can stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. For example, if you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. You can use Wi-Fi Assist with most apps like Safari, Apple Music, Mail, Maps, and more. 

When Wi-Fi Assist is activated, you'll see the cellular data icon in the status bar on your device.

Because you'll stay connected to the Internet over cellular when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you might use more cellular data. For most users, this should only be a small percentage higher than previous usage. If you have questions about your data usage, learn more about managing your cellular data or contact Apple Support.

You can use Wi-Fi Assist with any iOS device with iOS 9 or later, except for these models: iPhone 4s, iPad 2 Wi-Fi+Cellular, iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi+Cellular, and iPad mini (1st generation) Wi-Fi+Cellular. 

DOA

@Mreekster all smartphones have the ability to connect to WiFi which is provided by your internet service provider. See my first post on how to connect to it.

DOA

No, the OP means wifi calling.  Some providers allow calls to be made when connected to wifi, rather than on their networks.

Mreekster

Are you saying that public Mobile has wifi calling? 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Mreekster WiFi is an internet service. To enable WiFi, go to settings - Network & Internet - WiFi- - select the name of your Wi-Fi and enter your password - save it.

If you mean data, what is the make and model of your phone?  Which plan are you on? And if you log into your self service account, do you have data? These are PM's APN settings. Compare them to yours, or post yours here, and we can take a look at them.

APN settings:
Name: Mobile Internet
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302