cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans And Credit Score Question

rafaaasbali
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to Publicmobile and new to Canada so I have few questions regarding plans and how these plans help build credit scores. So I just moved to Montreal from the U.S and I am still using my T-Mobile phone number since I have a 90-day across the border service before they cut me off. So I came across public mobile few days ago and found out about the $10 plan so I decided to get this plan just to have a number until they cut my T-Mobile service and then I upgrade. So my questions 1) Does having a plan with publicmobile without buying a cellphone helps building my credit score? 2) How easy is it to switch from a plan to another in the middle of a the billing period? 3) If I ever wanted to switch to a different provider, would I be able to keep the same number? 

Your Answer is highly appreciated 

11 REPLIES 11

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rafaaasbali

If you want to be able to build up your credit history you would need to get on a contract type plan with providers such as Rogers, Bell, Telus.  Goign on prepaid plans, or no contract plans won;t build up your credit because technically there is no obligation from the consumer stand point.  If you don;t pay your bill, you get no service.  When you're on a contract you get monthly invoices and you are obligated to pay, as stipulated in your contract.  So that would be no different than getting a line of credit, credit card, mortgage, etc., you have an obligation to keep your account in good standing.  PM plans is like Pay As You Go, it has no affect on your credit rating/score.

Nice question.

jackal

Everyone else has provided spot on answers.

I'd like to elaborate on credit score building.

- You can start a post-paid mobile plan with other utility companies on the market which might ask you for a deposit but the plan will help you build your credit score. Examples are Koodoo (which is also owned by TELUS as per Public Mobile), Freedom Mobile and Zoomer Wireless.

- You can work with different banks e.g. TD, Scotiabank, CIBC etc - many have new immigrant programs where they may (depending on your financial situation) offer you credit cards with smaller limits even with no credit score. They may also ask for a deposit.

- Utilities such as electricity and gas also contribute to building credit so if you rent an apartment and you are responsible for this, this will also help.

As Public Mobile is a pre-paid utility service, it does not offer the benefit of helping you to build up your credit score.

Hope this helps and welcome to Canada.

@rafaaasbali wrote:

So by making all my payments on time, it won't help my credit score. Is that right?

Paying for Public Mobile service isn't going to count as bill payment.  All Public Mobile services are offered without even performing a credit check on the customer.  So in that respect, there is no direct help to your credit score.

However, indirectly, if you are using a credit card to pay for the Public Mobile service, your credit card payments, credit limit, and credit card balances are going to contribute to your credit score.

j11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thanks, sorry for speding fake news lol

matbasm

@j11 wrote:

Hi there I'll try my best to anser for you,

2) How easy is it to switch from a plan to another in the middle of a the billing period?

You can't do this however you could buy a add on if you ran out of data.

@j11- Small correction - you CAN change plans any time you want.  You just lose anything left in the old plan (except for add-ons).

j11

It won't help your credit score, public mobile dosent even care, but dont pay = no phone. This is because its pre payed. 

matbasm

@rafaaasbali wrote:

So by making all my payments on time, it won't help my credit score. Is that right?

That is correct.  Since this is a prepaid service, if you don't pay, you get cut off (lose service).

j11

Hi there I'll try my best to anser for you,

1 Does having a plan with publicmobile without buying a cellphone helps building my credit score?

No it won't, publicmobile is prepayed so they do not report to credit agents.

2) How easy is it to switch from a plan to another in the middle of a the billing period?

You can't do this however you could buy a add on if you ran out of data.

3) If I ever wanted to switch to a different provider, would I be able to keep the same number?

This is relly esey in canada, all you need to do is use your diffrent provides 611 servis when you buy the sim, your need to enter your pin at public mobile and thats it, no fees at all.

Hope i answer your question. 

matbasm

Hi @rafaaasbali and welcome To Montreal, Canada.

- For your credit score, I don't think it would do anything, since this is a prepaid service.  There is no credit check, or any other reference to your Public Mobile account from your credit file.  However, if you get a Canadian credit card in order to pay for your service, then THAT would help build credit score.

- Switching from one plan to another mid billing cycle is easy.  However, you loose whatever was left in the old plan (except for add-ons which carry over).  You can make plan changes immediately, or set it to switch on the next renewal date.

- As long as your Public mobile account is active, you can transfer (Port) your phone number to another carrier at any time.

Holpe that helps!

rafaaasbali

meocon

Welcome to PM,

1. No credit check for PM so no credit score or anything from PM. You just bring your own device and choose a plan that you want to use with. Right now they have a promo for free sim + $20 credit pretty good deal.

2. You can switch the plan by log into self-serve or you can you send Mod a private message.

3. Yes you can keep same number.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

Need Help? Let's chat.