cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan change while stuck at home

Bevattna
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

Since a lot of people are probably spending a lot more time at home, I'm curious if people are changing their phone plans to something with a lower data limit? I used about 500mbs of data in the last 3 weeks because I'm almost always in range of my wifi now, so I'm trying to think if there's any reason why I should stay on my current 4gb plan when I could comfortably switch to a 1gb plan for the foreseeable future.

Am I forgetting some reason why this would be super inconvenient? Are there fees for switching plans within Public Mobile? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

15 REPLIES 15

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I have the $15 plan and I barely touch the data and have only used up my 100 minutes a couple of times but I got the 500 minutes add on for $5.

@Naepalm   Yes they grandfather you in....i switched my back up number to the  $10 50/50 plan just before they eliminated it. With rewards its free! Its great way to maintain that phone number.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Bevattna wrote:

Hi everyone,

Since a lot of people are probably spending a lot more time at home, I'm curious if people are changing their phone plans to something with a lower data limit? I used about 500mbs of data in the last 3 weeks because I'm almost always in range of my wifi now, so I'm trying to think if there's any reason why I should stay on my current 4gb plan when I could comfortably switch to a 1gb plan for the foreseeable future.

Am I forgetting some reason why this would be super inconvenient? Are there fees for switching plans within Public Mobile? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

You can certainly do this, but even if you plan is an older, no longer offered plan, you would have to choose from the currently offered plans when it comes time to switching again. There's never any guarantee that the plans won't change and the plan that you had previously could vanish.

@computergeek541  if you stay on the plan you have it will not expire? So you can renew month after month for years and keep that plan?

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Bevattna wrote:

Hi everyone,

@Bevattna absolutely I think people are. The reason I found out about Public Mobility was that I was paying really high Cell bills with BELL. I switched to the $25.00, only because I wasn't sure if the 1G of data would be enough. I am going to see how it goes for the month and when my renewal comes up in May I'll probably switch to $15.00.

One note of suggestion I have received from @darlicious was to do a 1G add on because that 1G that is currently on sale does not expire. So I added a couple G's and will look to next month.

Thanks for starting this discussion, really appreciate community talk on these subjects! 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

It depends on your situation.  If you switch to a new plan then you won't be able to change back to your grand fathered one.  If your wi-fi is reliable and there are no data caps then it might be a good idea.

kelvarnsen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I thought about switching. I'm on the $25 plan and with the number of credits I have the $15 plan would essentially be free. But I am using my phone for work a lot more now. One or two really long conference call could easily burn up those 100 minutes. And having a gig of data is a nice buffer versus the 250mb. Yes I know you can purchase add one but based on what I pay for my plan, buying an add on just to get a lower plan might not be worth it.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@fdrcamb519 gonna be alot longer than a month or so... At least in my area they're already canceling stuff in July... Better sit tight! 

@Bevattna  It's smart to downgrade to save money when you're not using your data but as you mention your 4gb data plan is it a typo? Are you on the $40/5gb plan or an older grandfathered plan like the 90 day 12gb plan? Or the grandfathered $40/4gb plan? If you are on an older grandfathered plan you likely have 4G data speeds this is important for some for others the 4G LTE throttled to 3mbps/3G speeds are just fine. If that suits you when you want to upgrade the $40 plan now comes with 5gb of data.

If you are averaging 500mb a month then @mpcdesign new plan may suit your needs. By adding the $5/500 min add on for a little insurance on the $15 plan with 100 min of outgoing (incoming and texts are unlimited). It also comes with 250mb of plan data just add 1 or 2 of the limited time 50% off 1gb data add ons to supplement the data. On average of your data usage of late the 1gb data add on will stretch over 4 - 30 day cycles adding $3.75 each cycle for an extra 250mb. So your averaged plan usage would turn the $15 plan into a $20 plan with 225 minutes of outgoing call minutes and 500mb of data over 4 cycles. 1×1gb data add on $15+$5/500 min add on+ 4×$15 plan =$80/4 - 30 day cycles=$20 per 30 days  If you need to upgrade before 120 days are up the add ons will remain til you need them again or use them up. A second data add on will allow you to average up to 750mb per 30 days for $23.75 per 30 days. The great thing is any unused data will roll over versus the $25 plans 1gb which resets every 30 days used or not.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Bevattna, I did down-graded my plan because of the loss of income and with uncertain times. I still keep the phone for emergency purposes. I changed from a $40 plan to a $15 plan. I use Shaw cable at home, and with them lifting the data usage to unlimited, I don't need my phone data as much unless it's for work (which is now non-existent!)

With the $15 plan, I change it to the renewal date. I didn't want to lose any of my previous plans, so I wanted to utilize what I had left and then I don't lose anything. 

I also added two add-ons:

1. Data-add on, $15 of 1gig data
  2. Minutes add-on, $5 for 500 minutes

Both add-ons will carry over to the next month if not used up. Which is a nice feature! I hardly use my phone to call, unless it's to my parents (they don't use text, and they don't want too either!), but, I use texting like nuts.

The great thing about Public Mobile, one won't get penalized if you change your plan. No fees. Granted, if you just renewed your plan, your grand-fathered plan and then you changed your plan to 'now,' you lose everything in your previous plan and start your new plan. Hence, if you have the patience, wait until renewal time. You can also set-it-up which is great to change on renewal time, so one won't forget. 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Bevattna 

Checking out the current plans from time to time is a great idea.

If you do switch, do note that the 4 GB plan is no longer offered. So as mentioned, each time you switch plans, you have to select from the plans offered at that time here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

You may be interested to know that PM has the 1 GB Data Add-On on sale for $15 (for a limited time) instead of $30. I mention this because data add-ons do not expire. Once they are purchased, they remain on your account until they are fully consumed. So you may want to switch to a lower cost plan (like the $15 or $25) and have the data add-on available in case you need mobile data. Also this data add-on can be purchased multiple times, there is no limit.

Daps

@Bevattna 

As long as you follow the advice given earlier, there are no fees for switching plans.

As your plan renews every 30 days, you will be required to do some planning ahead for the next month,

How to switch plans: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/change-your-plan

fdrcamb519

just keep in mind you might not need right now but in a month or so when we are back to our normal routine, you might really enjoy your 4gb.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Bevattna Yup, you can do it if you want. Save some extra $ during this self-isolation😉

@Bevattna wrote:

Hi everyone,

You can certainly do this, but even if you plan is an older, no longer offered plan, you would have to choose from the currently offered plans when it comes time to switching again. There's never any guarantee that the plans won't change and the plan that you had previously could vanish.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Bevattna wrote:

Hi everyone,

@Bevattna  Unless you are on a grandfathered plan switching plans to one that offers less data is an excellent idea, My recommendation would be to select the option of changing your plan on your next renewal date (not an immediate change)  to not lose any of the funds and data already included on your current plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.