cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phones aren't updating to the time zone change.

punkscience
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

None of the phones in our house on Public Mobile updated the time change this morning. As a result we almost missed our flight. Turns out it did update once we restarted the phone but heads up to anyone else out there that you may have to manually update your clock, restart your phone or turn off "Set Time to Network Time" option. It's the same on both Android and iOS.

14 REPLIES 14

@gjong26 wrote:

@computergeek541 Would this update/time change have any affect on network?  I was in Montreal Sat evening and I was loosing signal.  I restarted my phone a couple times to see if that would help but no.  I ended up using the free wifi where i was at.  And after leaving the complex eventually my signal came back.

Here I am trying to sell PM to my GF sitting next to me but my signal at the time as flakey. 

Time change would have no effect on the network. It's an automated thing.

Your issues on Saturday likely had to with a widespread data outage that many customers experienced.

gjong26
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@computergeek541 Would this update/time change have any affect on network?  I was in Montreal Sat evening and I was loosing signal.  I restarted my phone a couple times to see if that would help but no.  I ended up using the free wifi where i was at.  And after leaving the complex eventually my signal came back.

Here I am trying to sell PM to my GF sitting next to me but my signal at the time as flakey. 

@punkscience where are you located? Network time updates are managed per Tracking Area Code (TAC). This information comes from the Telus MME (core network).

Did other Telus and Koodo subscribers in your neighbourhood have the same problem?

I have a Pixel and the time change was correct in Toronto.

No problem with the three of us at my house that all are on pm. Time changed correctly before we woke up today.

punkscience

We had it happen on a Pixel2 and an iPhone 7. Settings look like they should and it corrected itself after we restarted the phones. It just didn't happen automatically for some reason. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Not sure if everyone got this fixed, but I had it happen on one of my phones and enabling data and restarting the phone fixed it. It was long after the data system was back up when I noticed it still hadn't changed.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@punkscience both of my phones updated time automatically today. No issues.

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Are all the time & date setting correct?  The phone should still show time even if no sim card is in it. For some reason I forgot to turn of my last night and when I got up it had the correct time. I'm just curious to what kind of phone. Just checked my setting and it was set on network time....so it all changed like it should. Double check the settings!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@punkscience wrote:

It is expected that this is a service provided by the mobile provider (thus the reason for the "set to network time" option in the first place). This is clearly a bug with Public Mobile and should be fixed. I've never encountered this issue with any other carrier.

I have an active account on a Samsung S7 running A8. I have an active account on a Nokia Lumia running Windows Phone 8. I have a suspended account on airplane mode no less on a Blackberry Z30 running OS10.

All changed the time without my doing anything.

Double check your phone settings.

It's okay now, at least, here in Toronto.

scurvylad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Well that's the most awkward late for work explanation I've had to give...

punkscience

It is expected that this is a service provided by the mobile provider (thus the reason for the "set to network time" option in the first place). This is clearly a bug with Public Mobile and should be fixed. I've never encountered this issue with any other carrier.

@punkscience wrote:

None of the phones in our house on Public Mobile updated the time change this morning. As a result we almost missed our flight. Turns out it did update once we restarted the phone but heads up to anyone else out there that you may have to manually update your clock, restart your phone or turn off "Set Time to Network Time" option. It's the same on both Android and iOS.

As you already know, these time changes are done on weekends to avoid the number of people needing to be somewhere after the adjustment has been made.

I would suggest that for anyone who has to be somewhere at a specific time on the Sunday after setting clocks forward or back to set the time manually and disable the automatically set time.

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks, I will keep an eye on my phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.