cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone recommedations, reward question

Joann
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, in your post you mentioned something about rewards,  could you please explain what rewards and how do I find out if I qualify for any.

Also we need new phones and have been with PUBLIC MOBILE for more than 10 years, do you or anyone else know where I can buy 2 new phones that doesn't cost more than  $300, phones cost soooo much. Thank you Joann 

22 REPLIES 22

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@CellGirl  @Anonymous thought of you folks as I watched this video today:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ8tcMW2Gow&feature=youtu.be

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@srlawren wrote:

@CellGirl two notes to your last reply: 

1) you can side-load the BlackBerry soft/virtual keyboard on any Android phone if you really want that Z10-like experience.  I tried it for a bit, but ended up going back to GBoard.  

2) on the Samsung, were you using the stock Samsung keyboard?  I've never been a fan.  You should for fun try out a friend's phone runnign GBoard or SwiftKey.  

@srlawren 

On the samsung I installed both GBoard and Swiftkey, but I never installed the blackberry virtual keyboard on it. I still wasn't thrilled with the ones I installed. That's OK now, since I no longer have a work phone 👍

srlawren

@CellGirl two notes to your last reply: 

1) you can side-load the BlackBerry soft/virtual keyboard on any Android phone if you really want that Z10-like experience.  I tried it for a bit, but ended up going back to GBoard.  

2) on the Samsung, were you using the stock Samsung keyboard?  I've never been a fan.  You should for fun try out a friend's phone runnign GBoard or SwiftKey.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

CellGirl

@srlawren wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

@srlawren 

Then you should definately stick with OnePlus, since it does everything you need 😎

I'm not the best typing on glass, with the typos, which is one reason I stick with Blackberry 😀

@CellGirl to each their own, for sure!  there are days when I still miss my Bold 9900 keyboard, it was the best phsyical keyboard I've ever experienced.  (I have not tried the Passport or either KeyX devices though.)  I should say that you can and probably would get used to typing on glass.  You can still develop a muscle memory of sorts, it's just not as tactile.  Anyway, to each their own 🙂

@srlawren 

You would love the keyboard on the Passport and Classic--large keys (more than KeyOne). But of course, less apps that work for BB10 OS.

I never got used to the virtual keyboard on my work phone (samsung). I'm spoiled by blackberry 😎  As previously mentioned, when I was using a z10 in past, that virtual keyboard was the best--no complaints!

Memories of my BB6100.  Loved it!  Replaced a receive only alphanumeric display pager.  Had that BB for almost 4 years before the centre 2 columns of keys stopped working.

srlawren

@CellGirl wrote:

@srlawren 

Then you should definately stick with OnePlus, since it does everything you need 😎

I'm not the best typing on glass, with the typos, which is one reason I stick with Blackberry 😀

@CellGirl to each their own, for sure!  there are days when I still miss my Bold 9900 keyboard, it was the best phsyical keyboard I've ever experienced.  (I have not tried the Passport or either KeyX devices though.)  I should say that you can and probably would get used to typing on glass.  You can still develop a muscle memory of sorts, it's just not as tactile.  Anyway, to each their own 🙂

CellGirl

@srlawren 

srlawren

@CellGirl ah yes, the Storm!  I always forget the series name on that one for some reason.

Well, since you've opened the door.......

I would probably go KeyTWO over KeyONE, if I were so inclined.  However, I have become a bit of a OnePlus fanboy over the past few years.  After my Z10, I landed on a 1st gen Moto X, which I liked due to it's size being similar to the Z10 while most other Android phones at the time were getting larger and larger.  It was good, had a nice clean OS, but the (tiny) battery life was abysmal, and it had a few very annoying bugs, like a random reboot (that always hit at the most inconvenient times, like using GPS in an unfamiliar area) that combined with another bug that caused it to re-optimize every app when it randomly rebooted, a process which could take over 20 mins or more (as it was a very sloooow device).  

After that I upgraded to the OnePlus 3 and I have to say, fell instantly in love:  blazing fast performance, very clean take on Android other than a few additions which actually make sense, without all the Samsung/LG/HTC bloat of that era;  big screen which took getting used to but once I did I coudn't go back; physical alert slider was a treat I got used to using literally every day; but the main thing was the OS and the blazing fast performance.

About 18 months later I picked up my current OnePlus 5T and love it even more, for all those same reasons except the screen is even bigger (and wider, better for media playback), more RAM, more storage, bigger battery.  It's a treat.  I don't think I could go back to a BlackBerry, even one sporting Android.  I'm sorry, no offense, it's just not for me any more.

My next device--unless they do something really boneheaeded with it--will almost certainly be the OnePlus 7, when it comes out later this spring/early summer.  

CellGirl

@srlawren wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

@srlawren 

The Blackberry Passport, Classic, and the Q10, all have the square screen 😉  The KeyOne has no issues with videos 🙂

@CellGirl yes I know it's not just the KeyONE, there are the ones you listed and also the newer KeyTWO.  I'm not saying it won't handle video, I'm saying most video out there is 16:9 (or wider), and ends up with a fairly small usable space on a square screen, with large letterboxing above and below.  I can't even imagine trying to watch a 21:9 movie on it, it would be more black bar than image! 

Anyway, to each their own, and don't get me wrong I was a HUGE BlackBerry fan for years.  This was my smartphone progression before finally giving in and moving to Android:  Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 9530, Bold 9700, Thunder? was it? the first slider 9800 I think, Bold 9900, and finally the BB10-packing Z10, which I used to love.  

@srlawren 

If I get black bars with videos on keyone, I can easily expand the viewable area while watching video 🙂 Because of this, and since you want to stick with android, I think you should give the keyone a shot 😀📲

It's great to see you were a die hard blackberry fan!  note: one of your older models wasn't called "Thunder"   -- it's "Storm"   😉

srlawren

@CellGirl wrote:

@srlawren 

The Blackberry Passport, Classic, and the Q10, all have the square screen 😉  The KeyOne has no issues with videos 🙂

@CellGirl yes I know it's not just the KeyONE, there are the ones you listed and also the newer KeyTWO.  I'm not saying it won't handle video, I'm saying most video out there is 16:9 (or wider), and ends up with a fairly small usable space on a square screen, with large letterboxing above and below.  I can't even imagine trying to watch a 21:9 movie on it, it would be more black bar than image! 

Anyway, to each their own, and don't get me wrong I was a HUGE BlackBerry fan for years.  This was my smartphone progression before finally giving in and moving to Android:  Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 9530, Bold 9700, Thunder? was it? the first slider 9800 I think, Bold 9900, and finally the BB10-packing Z10, which I used to love.  

CellGirl

@srlawren wrote:

@CellGirl wrote:

@Joann

Hi. I highly recommend the Blackberry KeyOne (unlocked)

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06ZYGDY4P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

It's a bit more than what you want to pay, but it's well worth it. Excellent quality phone: solid aluminum body, physical keyboard, octa core processor, android upgradable to oreo v8.1 (waiting for Pie 😉 etc...  I've never had any issues with this model--it's pretty awesome 😀

@CellGirl solid device.  It's not going to be to everyone's liking, particuarly people that like to watch media / streaming video (YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, Crave, etc.) due to the aspect ratio (i.e. squarish shape) of the display.  But for people that type a lot and do productivity work first and foremost, it could be a great fit.

@srlawren 

The Blackberry Passport, Classic, and the Q10, all have the square screen 😉  The KeyOne has no issues with videos 🙂 My keyone isn't the one I posted at amazon; I have the 64gb Black Edition, which of course, costs a lot more than what Joann wants to pay.

And of course, life is easier texting with the physical keyboard 😍

srlawren

@CellGirl wrote:

@Joann

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06ZYGDY4P/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

It's a bit more than what you want to pay, but it's well worth it. Excellent quality phone: solid aluminum body, physical keyboard, octa core processor, android upgradable to oreo v8.1 (waiting for Pie 😉 etc...  I've never had any issues with this model--it's pretty awesome 😀

@CellGirl solid device.  It's not going to be to everyone's liking, particuarly people that like to watch media / streaming video (YouTube, Netflix, Prime Video, Crave, etc.) due to the aspect ratio (i.e. squarish shape) of the display.  But for people that type a lot and do productivity work first and foremost, it could be a great fit.

CellGirl

@Joann

@sld wrote:

You are wrong. They do sell smart phones without a plan. They are not the latest but they are good enough for the average person.

Yes you are right but not with the Iphone you post a picture...Smiley Happy

Sorry I was wrong @sld 

sld

You are wrong. They do sell smart phones without a plan. They are not the latest but they are good enough for the average person.

@sld wrote:

You can get a Smartphone from Costco - Motorola Moto G6 Play ($204.99) or iPhone SE 32 GB Rose Gold ($299.99)

Moto.JPGiPhone.JPG

@sld NO that's not possible. Costco sells only with a contract with a company BEll Fido...

EDITED for the Iphone it's not possible...

SORRY @sld I was wrong I just check on their site...Smiley Frustrated

sld

You can get a Smartphone from Costco - Motorola Moto G6 Play ($204.99) or iPhone SE 32 GB Rose Gold ($299.99)

Moto.JPGiPhone.JPG

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Joann 

Bestbuy walmart etc sell prepaid phones from koodo/ telus that will work with PM..usually fairly cheap...asfor rewards..autopay=2$..referal=1$..rewards for number of yrs with pm...contribute in the community rewards up to 15$ depending on how much time/effort you put into it..oracles recieve 20$..then there are the promo offers for referrals from time to time..like the 25$ one that is on now..

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Joann, take a look at this knowledge base article which covers everything you need to know about rewards.  By the way, there are other knowledge base articles covering various other aspects of the service if you are interested.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/General-Reward-Rules/ta-p/164

With respect to questions about phones under $300, I am a fan of Xiaomi.  Their hardware is well priced.  You can get them on Amazon.ca.  Here are a couple of examples.  I have no personal experience with this particular model, but I have used the redmi note 5 pro.  I would not hesitate in recommending the brand.

https://www.amazon.ca/Xiaomi-64GB-Camera-AndroidOne-Smartphone/dp/B07FMPVBQY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=mi+...

https://www.amazon.ca/Xiaomi-Lite-Camera-AndroidOne-Smartphone/dp/B07FM994MM/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=mi+...

Some people may not be comfortable with buying from overseas sellers.  I bought mine from the Xoaimi online store on AliExpress.  Their pricing is much better than Amazon.  You do need to put up with a longer shipping time, ususally 3ish weeks.

https://xiaomionline.aliexpress.com/store/group/Mi-A2/2178148_513410363.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.pcSh...

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Joann wrote:

Hi, in your post you mentioned something about rewards,  could you please explain what rewards and how do I find out if I qualify for any.

Also we need new phones and have been with PUBLIC MOBILE for more than 10 years, do you or anyone else know where I can buy 2 new phones that doesn't cost more than  $300, phones cost soooo much. Thank you Joann 

Ok for the rewards you can have 2$ credit per month if you are on autopay. If you reffered someone you will have 1$ per month until the person leave public mobile. If you help on the community you can earn some dollars too. 

For the new phones..best buy..future shop..walmart...it depends on your needs...

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Joann wrote:

@Joann...your best to start a new thread. That way there'll be more eyes on your concern...better your chances of answers. Good luck

Need Help? Let's chat.