cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent call forwarding from PM phone

Jhalps
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I recently got a new company phone. It is newer than my personal phone and has better data and voice plans. The result is that my personal phone now sits at home with permanent call forwarding to the work number. I use the work phone for outgoing (which confuses people, but whatever). Really, the only reason I still have the personal phone is to keep the number - I like having a work number and a personal number. 

I'm thinking of switching the personal phone to the PM province wide plan with text and continue to forward to the work phone. Wondering if anyone sees any issues. 

More specifically, if I leave the province but leave the PM phone in the province and forward to the work phone (same area code, but would be with me out of province), will that still work?

Will probably have more questions...

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jhalps wrote:

When I was on the $10 plan (50 minutes, if I remember correctly), the call forwarding was not compatible.

I didn't see that Amulya dredged up an old thread. She made her own thread and seems happy with what's going on. Edit: Correction...she cross-posted to a couple old threads.

But anyway...I'm on the $10 plan and if I query the all forwarding dial code *#21# it comes back saying something about provisioned but inactive. Or words to that effect. That suggests to me that forwarding everything would work. Also, voicemail is basically call forwarding and it's included.

@Amulya

No fee for call forwarding.  Included in all the plans. 

However, you will likely need to change from $10 plan to something higher.  Call forwarding in the $10 plan counts as your 50 minutes, so you will run out quickly.  

Jhalps

When I was on the $10 plan (50 minutes, if I remember correctly), the call forwarding was not compatible.

Amulya

how do i start this now that i have port in from Koodo and my work phone is Telus 

1} is there a monthly fee like koodo had i.e $2.00 for call forwarding ? if yes how do i activate it?

2} also i am just on a $10.00 plan , will i have to change my plan to a higher plan ?

regards

Amulya

Jhalps
Thanks all.

The work phone has free LD so that's not an issue.

Also, since both are iPhones, I'm pretty sure Apple's SMS forwarding feature solves that issue (95% of my friends are on iMessage anyway).

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey @Jhalps I'm in the exact same situation.

I have a personal phone and I have a work phone on Telus with a great plan.

Here is what I do:

1) I setup call forwarding to my work number from my personal phone

2) I loaded an app called "Phone Leash" on my Android personal phone (This forwards all texts to my work phone and even allows me to reply to them from my work phone via my personal phone)

3) Leave the personal phone at home

That's it... and it works PERFECTLY.

I reply to texts as if I have my personal phone with me... all calls come through and the second phone sits at home.

I even get a text message on my work phone if my personal phone crashes, has low battery, or just reboots.

Hope this helps.... 

Happy Thursday!

tod
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Jhalps wrote:

Hi there,

I recently got a new company phone. It is newer than my personal phone and has better data and voice plans. The result is that my personal phone now sits at home with permanent call forwarding to the work number. I use the work phone for outgoing (which confuses people, but whatever). Really, the only reason I still have the personal phone is to keep the number - I like having a work number and a personal number. 

I'm thinking of switching the personal phone to the PM province wide plan with text and continue to forward to the work phone. Wondering if anyone sees any issues. 

More specifically, if I leave the province but leave the PM phone in the province and forward to the work phone (same area code, but would be with me out of province), will that still work?

Unconditional call forwarding should work just fine in this case, as long as the target (ie. work) number is from the same province (ie. calls included in your calling plan) if on a province-wide PM plan. You wouldn't even have to keep the sim in a powered on phone in this case, you could even just set it to unavailable forwarding only and this way if you pop the sim in a powered on phone and would like to use it, calls would come in without being forwarded. I'm using the latter with a Fongo number and calls get forwarded when I'm out of coverage or province. One thing that wouldn't work in this case is text messaging as there's no way you could forward those unless you have the sim in a powered-on device along with an app that would forward any incoming sms. Another alternative is to just port your number to Fongo, you could also setup call forwarding from there and you can use the app for calls and/or sms. Fongo would be cheaper too as there's no monthly fee (just the one-time fee to port) and you could get sms add-on if you'd like to send sms (incoming sms is free), not to mention you could also call over voip for free pretty much anywhere in Canada and your number will show on the recipient's end.

@Jhalps wrote:

Hi there,

The ability to call forward to a specific phone number is based on the city that phone number is based out of.    Where you are traveling with your work phone makes no difference when it comes to forwarding calls to it.  Answering incoming calls on the work phone would be considered long distance and would be billed to your work phone number's bill (if long distance isn't included in that phone's price plan).

Need Help? Let's chat.