cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for LTE but getting no LTE only 3G

ChrisM7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My mom plan is the same as the entire family but for some reason her phones are only getting 3G. I tried to change phones and turn LTE on but nothing happens. The data is stuck to 3G. 

9 REPLIES 9

R47
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Try going settings -> cellularlte turned on . If it's shut off iPhones won't use LTE for data. 

Hi @ChrisM7,

Are you talking to her on the phone while she looks at the screen and tells you what she sees? The reason I ask is that voice calls are always on 3G on this network.

iPhones support all the correct frequencies and technologies, so it's not a hardware issue. Have you tried airplane mode on/off to see what happens?

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@ChrisM7 wrote:

My mom plan is the same as the entire family but for some reason her phones are only getting 3G. I tried to change phones and turn LTE on but nothing happens. The data is stuck to 3G. 

Hi,

I am not on a LTE plan but my iPhone 6 randomly displays "Public Mobile LTE" and Public Mobile 3g" and I stress the random part!

What is happening that you say it is stuck to 3g?

@ChrisM7 wrote:

Ok will do that tonight hopefully that works. Thanks

@ChrisM7Did she just switch to public mobile? How long has she been a customer? Or was she using the iPhone6 on public mobile and LTE was working untill she switched phones?

*thinks* If the sim/phone switch proves the same result, I don't know this about public mobile as they are pretty new, but a problem has existed before where old version sim cards at other carriers were not LTE compatible. Not sure if maybe she has one of the first sim cards, and maybe those didn't support LTE, I was never at public at that time. also don't remember dates between nano/micro/normal sim and would think if she did have an ancient sim would it even fit without someone manually cutting it to fit? Iphonex uses nano. Also not sure if public mobile ever released a sim card that was not LTE compatible.... just talking out loud here.

ChrisM7

Ok will do that tonight hopefully that works. Thanks

@ChrisM7Try switching your sim card with hers, and see if your phone gets LTE with her sim, and her phone gets 3g with your sim. This will confirm any local issues

ChrisM7

She had an iphone 6 previously but now an iphone x 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ChrisM7 wrote:

What type of phone does she have?  Does it support the LTE Bands?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@ChrisM7 wrote:

@ChrisM7Thats a phone issue, not a public mobile issue.

I am on a 3G plan, but i still connect to LTE, (although its LTE at 3mb) The most likely case is the phone does not support the LTE frequencies of the telus network or a software issue.

What phone model is it? Be specific please.

Need Help? Let's chat.