cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PUK problem

game_theory
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have accidentally locked my SIM and the phone is now locked until I enter the correct PUK for my SIM. After going through the self-serve menu and searching through the community forum, I realized I would not be able to obtain it on my own to resolve this issue. As suggested in some forum posts, I have initiated an email to PM customer service as well as messaged a community forum moderator yesterday. I am wondering how long I would need to wait before someone could assist me with this issue? I am also interested in knowing why this could not be done through self-serve site as I have seen so many other posts/people having the same problem. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @game_theory,

Thank you for reaching out to us !

We completely understand how frustrating it can be to be without service, and I'm really sorry for the time it took to get back to you. The good news is that my colleague Amanda was able to provide you with the information you asked for via private private message 🙂

Also keep in mind that our response timeframe will be back to normal as soon as our backlog is cleared!

I hope this helps,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

delsrobo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@game_theory  I went out and bought a sim from a store (check in kijiji they advertise there) Went into my account and clicked on change sim.  Service was back in all of 2 seconds.  Hope this helps.  I still have yet to hear from a mod or support.  Going to buy another sim for emergencies. 

delsrobo
Bump @Shazia_K and @Mary_M I have the same issue and pm'd details.

game_theory

Hi @TK - I understand that I would be able to resume my phone service once I obtain another new SIM card (not yet activated with another number). I do appreciate @Luddite's offer but I am unable to travel to Mississauga for it. And I know I could purchase another SIM card from PM's website directly to achieve the same thing. What I was hoping is that the moderator (e.g. @Mary_M, @Shazia_K, @Jeremy_M, etc) would get to see my post/pm soon or PM's CS would reply my email. I honestly don't think purchasing another SIM card is the proper solution to this matter. Whether it's naive or not for having faith in their 24-48 hours email response is a different story though...

And for those who are confused about the difference between PIN (default 1234) and PUK:

PIN: PIN stands for “Personnel Identification Number”. The SIM is protected against unauthorised usage through a four-digit code. Without the PIN code the phone is not operational, except for the emergency call function. If the code is entered incorrectly three times, access to the phone is blocked.

PUK: PUK stands for “Personal Unblocking Key”. The PUK code is an eight- to ten-digit code which you can use to reactivate a blocked SIM and choose a new PIN code. If the PUK code is entered incorrectly ten times, your SIM can no longer be reactivated. You will need a new SIM.

And as far as I know, PUK can only be retrieved from your carrier who sends you the SIM. Most carriers allow PUK to be retrieved through self-serve site or through phone/in-person. Since PM does not have physical store/live chat/phone support, allowing customers to retrieve PUK through self-serve site becomes more important. This also helps PM's moderators/customer services to focus more on other issues that absoutely require manual or case-by-case investigation/troubeshoot.

TK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello @game_theory

I guess you did not get the point of @Luddite

Once you have a new SIM, you log in to your self serve acoount, go to change SIM, and enter new SIM number. Your new SIM is activated, dispose old SIM.

I'm sure I read an old post indicating 1,2,3,4. But hey, I'm old. How old you ask? Well Ralph here, once kept me busy feeding him well, so he was docile near me! 

Smilodon_fatalis (1).jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

pn
This is totally something that should be self serve.
Simple request but zero ability to even have a line or ANY SERVICE if you don't have this little number.

game_theory

Thanks everyone who's provided the input.

@Luddite - Unfortunately that is the PIN not PUK. My SIM is currently locked and I need PUK to unlock it, which can only be provided by the carrier (PM in this case). And thank you for the offer but I think I will wait for the PUK for now.

@Teezem - I have tried to message @Mary_M already, hopefully @Mary_M or @Shazia_K would be able to get to this issue soon.

@pn - Sorry to hear about your situation 😞

I understand the support from PM is different from say Telus or Fido (where I ported my service from originally), for matters like this, I really think they should be solvable by ourselves under self-serve site. If PM could add this PUK retrieval (or other similar matters) to the self-serve site, I am sure it would alleviate lots workload and service requests from the moderators.

@game_theory Try 1,2,3,4; apprrently the default PUK.

It may be faster to get a new SIM; I am in Mississauga and have a spare SIM. Private message me if that would help.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Please understand that there is currently a 12 backlog of issues.

Moderators are dealing currently with issues from Nov 19th, first in, first out.

You will have your issue addressed, as soon as is possible.

pn

SHAZIA OR MARY HAVEN'T EVEN BOTHERED EMAILING ME BACK...THE 48 HOUR PROMISE IS A SHAMBLE...NOT TRUE. I HAVEBEEN WAITING A LONG TIME AND SEVERAL MESSAGES.... OBVIOUSLY THEY DON'T POST THE PUK IN THE ACCOUNT INFO SO THAT THEY CAN STEAL POTENTIAL AIRTIME.... WHY ELSE WOULDN'T THEY HAVE PUT THIS BASIC PIECE OF INFORMATION ON THE ACCOUNT FOR SUCH A SELF-SERVE COMPANY?

VERY DISAPPOINTED. I PAY $120 FOR A 90 DAY ACCOUNT THOUGH IT'S BEEN TWO WEEKS AND STILL NO ACTION.  THEY HAVEN'T EVEN BOTHERED RESPONDING.... VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Teezem
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello @game_theory,

Send a private message to @Shazia_K or @Mary_M with your request, I have seen previous posts of fixes for this issue by them. Provide your Public Mobile phone number as well.

Need Help? Let's chat.