cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outgoing call airtime

jenjen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all, when an outgoing call is unanswered, it rings but does not go to voice mail, does the call count toward airtime useage? I have the 100min plan so this makes a difference.

5 REPLIES 5

jenjen

@Korthgood to know, I’ll test this out 

Telus ignores calls which connect with durations of less than 5 seconds, and doesn't charge for an extra minute if less than 5 seconds into it.  Apparently they allow some leeway for switching and latency and other technical stuff - it used to be 35 seconds, long long ago, to allow for 5 rings, but that's irrelevant trivia now. 

They used to also have an auto-hangup without any calltime charges when the call was answered by the inhuman screechings of fax machines, modems, and teletype terminals. Not sure if this legacy is still built into the system or if it's as obsolete and abandoned as the tech noise it helpfully filtered out of your ears and your phone bills. 

Once your call is 5 seconds in you get charged for the full minute whether you ise that time or not. 

jenjen

@dabr great add-on suggestion thanks!

@darlicious interesting about the fine print, glad it’s not put in practice 

@dabr wrote:

@jenjen wrote:

Hi all, when an outgoing call is unanswered, it rings but does not go to voice mail, does the call count toward airtime useage? I have the 100min plan so this makes a difference.

Unanswered calls that don't connect to an answering system shouldn't get counted against your plan minutes.  You can log into your account and click on usage to see how the call is being treated.

However, you should definitely purchase the add-on of $5/500 Canada wide minutes which will roll over every month until completely used up to supplement your limited calling plan. 

@dabr  is giving good advice however technically the terms of service state it starts once you finish dialing.....but they don't seem to charge or count that unless the call is answered. 

Always good to read the small print so you are fully informed.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@jenjen wrote:

Unanswered calls that don't connect to an answering system shouldn't get counted against your plan minutes.  You can log into your account and click on usage to see how the call is being treated.

However, you should definitely purchase the add-on of $5/500 Canada wide minutes which will roll over every month until completely used up to supplement your limited calling plan. 

Need Help? Let's chat.