cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to Disable Useless Reminders

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Every month I receive 3 text messages, usually at 3 different times and from 2 different numbers. A payment reminder that tells me I can ignore the message with Autopay. Then a message that I got the Autopay reward. And finally that Autopay has paid my account. None of these messages are necessary and I don't want to receive them, they are annoying.

19 REPLIES 19

@gblackma wrote:

Lol. @tweakthis . When you post here saying your autopay failed. The first question will be aaah did you get rid of those useless reminders?

Next post will be "No one told me there were free gifts but you had to opt in to collect them and now it's too late. What the Hell!"

AE_Collector

@jsmarjara wrote:

No . It will only silet text from selected number as we have only changed ring for that number only. I have presonally tested and its working 100%. It is same as selecting ringtone for certain contacts. You can cutomize ringtone for every contact seprately.

Many text messaging applications will not allow the tone to be set for each individual contact. Usually, it's all or nothing. Instead of doing this, why not just block the contact?

Different ringtones for individual contacts is usually for phone calls.

jsmarjara
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No . It will only silet text from selected number as we have only changed ring for that number only. I have presonally tested and its working 100%. It is same as selecting ringtone for certain contacts. You can cutomize ringtone for every contact seprately.

@jsmarjara wrote:

There is one other way change notification type. In android  you can change notification by selecting text then press the dots on right hand side > Notifications> custom.  Then you can change it to silent. 

This process would silence noftication of all text messages, from anyone.

@Korth wrote:

"UNSUBSCRIBE" does halt the flow of all the optional spam, no more marketing, promos, etc - although the obligatory CRTC/CCTS legal information does still get sent to you.

#100 only sends one or two messages at signup.

All other PM numbers can be blocked through user settings. Although the software built into many phones won't let you call numbers you've blocked so blocking *611 might be an inconvenience.

You can't get finer control over your incoming messages unless you install custom software. And you usually can't overwrite the default embedded SMS/MMS app unless you root the device.

I've never ever heard of not being able to call blocked numbers on any phone. Properly programmed software on a phone would simply send all incoming calls directly to voicemail or automatically either delete or put incoming text messages from the blocked numbers into an archive or spam folder.

As for text messages from 100, those can be blocked too.  Messages from 100 come just as often, if not more often the the others. Every renewal, you will get a messages about rewards being applied. You will also get a message from 100 any time your refer a new customers and any time that you lose a referral.

jsmarjara

There is one other way change notification type. In android  you can change notification by selecting text then press the dots on right hand side > Notifications> custom.  Then you can change it to silent. 

"UNSUBSCRIBE" does halt the flow of all the optional spam, no more marketing, promos, etc - although the obligatory CRTC/CCTS legal information does still get sent to you.

#100 only sends one or two messages at signup.

All other PM numbers can be blocked through user settings. Although the software built into many phones won't let you call numbers you've blocked so blocking *611 might be an inconvenience.

You can't get finer control over your incoming messages unless you install custom software. And you usually can't overwrite the default embedded SMS/MMS app unless you root the device.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I agree, there should be an option in self serve or something to opt out of these reminders.

Lol. @tweakthis . When you post here saying your autopay failed. The first question will be aaah did you get rid of those useless reminders?

@tweakthis wrote:

Totally agree. You should be able to block these messages. *sigh*

tweakthis
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Totally agree. You should be able to block these messages. *sigh*

@umnikke8 wrote:

Yes, the numbers could be blocked, but that could also block something that is actually important or useful.

Most "important" communications by Public Mobile are posted on the Community before any text messge about a service issue is sent out.  I find that text messages from Public Mobile are largely unnecesssary. I do agree that there's no need to send customers a message that says something such as 'everything ok, plan renewed".

As for blocking these text messages, that can certainly be done. When blocking the these numbers, the blocked messages aren't actually deleted when using many of the different text messaging apps, but are rather archived into some sort of a spam-type folder. The messages can then still be read if the user choses to do so.

@buiya wrote:

Pretty sure there isn't a way to turn this off yourself, only way to mitigate is setting DND or airplane mode.

Yes, Public Mobile doesn't allow customers to opt out of these, but DND or airplane mode is either going to prevent you from either receiving any calls/texts or being notified of them. So, that's not an option that would accomplish anything unless the idea is that you don't want to be bothered by any incoming calls/text during a specific time period.

karimmont

Understand. Sorry for the confusion ! 

umnikke8

@karimmont wrote:

Hi There,

I heard that the CRTC is planning to ban these numbers in a near future to stop teh crooks to get to you. Any unindentified number will be rejected from teh source so nothing to worry about ! 

Thanks, 

These aren't spam/spoofed texts, they are valid messages sent from Public so this doesn't apply.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@umnikke8 wrote:

Every month I receive 3 text messages, usually at 3 different times and from 2 different numbers. A payment reminder that tells me I can ignore the message with Autopay. Then a message that I got the Autopay reward. And finally that Autopay has paid my account. None of these messages are necessary and I don't want to receive them, they are annoying.

It's only 3 texts but I can understand it might be annoying however like you said you could miss something important. For instance:

The rewards one comes from #100

This same number also sends a text to notify you that you successfully referred someone to public mobile....so helpful if you mass put out your referral code on internet sites..

Also helpful to see what amounts of rewards are credited...maybe for 5 payments each text is $10 in reward credits..but the 6th is only $9 (cause you lost a referral)...so you will know that your total bill payment will be different and not wonder why you were charged more.

The other comes from #611 the heads up payment is due if you're on auto-pay blah blah blah....then a text thank you for your payment plan successfully renewed..

If you were on auto-pay band system screwed up and auto-pay didn't work...then you'd know something is wrong with your account.

karimmont

Hi There,

I heard that the CRTC is planning to ban these numbers in a near future to stop teh crooks to get to you. Any unindentified number will be rejected from teh source so nothing to worry about ! 

Thanks, 

umnikke8

Yes, the numbers could be blocked, but that could also block something that is actually important or useful.

Blumsden

Would you be able to block the numbers or they change to month?

buiya

Pretty sure there isn't a way to turn this off yourself, only way to mitigate is setting DND or airplane mode.

Need Help? Let's chat.