cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opting Out Of Phone Directory (White pages, etc)

mauro1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

How can we opt out of our name and phone number being listed in the phone directory (White pages)?

17 REPLIES 17

@fetus wrote:

public mobile agent did not do good job - when me joint community he or she did not clear my phone number from white pages

From my experience, it can take up to a year for a directory listing to be added or removed from the public Whitepages listings... Hopefully it will be by the time the next book edition is printed. Since you have ported to a mobile carrier, which are not included in whitepages - it will eventually fall off.

In my case - I ported my home number to a VoIP provider that didn't offer a directory listing... then last summer ported to a different VoIP provider that does optionally offer a directory listing (voip.ms) - it was for a small one time fee, and I'm still waiting for it to appear in the online directory....

What is the issue?

Who uses the paper directory?

Every time we have one delivered, big or small, it goes  directly to recycling.

I would think I some one cannot find you number online that they would not go to a phone directory. 

I have a VoIP land line and opted out, at mo cost, to be in a directory. But have never verified. But is possible to be online on the 411 pages. 

Then if you are wanting to make sure no one can find your number, make sure you don’t allow it to be used or filled in, on line. 

@fetus wrote:

public mobile did not not clear up  from white pages my phone number

When you say Bell, do you mean Bell Mobility or Bell Canada?  You're going to have to talk to the directory service. This isn't a Public Mobile service issue. It's also not up to a cell phone provider to clear it because they're not the one providing the information for the datebase.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fetus wrote:

I spoke to bell they said they can do nothing, because up to cell provider to clear info

@fetus : Nobody's going to clear anything. They don't run external databases. Your number should drop from a printed book for the next printing if they still make those. But not any online database.

fetus

I spoke to bell they said they can do nothing, because up to cell provider to clear info

Anonymous
Not applicable

@fetus wrote:

@fetus 

If you brought your number from a landline service then it's not up to Public Mobile to remove it from any directory.

Many of my old numbers can still be found with my name on them. Once in a database, that's it.

fetus

public mobile agent did not do good job - when me joint community he or she did not clear my phone number from white pages

fetus

I want to remove my phone number from white pages, 

fetus

madhi19
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@88cranston wrote:

@mauro1 wrote:

Could you clarify this a bit?  Are you saying that cell phone numbers are not included in directory listings?  I'm new to Montreal so I've never had a landline here.

A lot of things can be different in Quebec. If you are going to get a landline.....ask first if you can opt out, there used to be a charge for that. Or use VoIP.ms for landline. And there is NO directory for mobile phones. 

It sure bring down the spam call to a trickle.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mauro1 wrote:

Could you clarify this a bit?  Are you saying that cell phone numbers are not included in directory listings?  I'm new to Montreal so I've never had a landline here.

A lot of things can be different in Quebec. If you are going to get a landline.....ask first if you can opt out, there used to be a charge for that. Or use VoIP.ms for landline. And there is NO directory for mobile phones. 

mauro1

Thank you

Only landlines are listed in the directory.

Lar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@mauro1 wrote:

Cell phone numbers are not in the white pages

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi there,

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but here's a link to opting out of the YellowPages.

https://optout.yp.ca/optouts/address

mauro1

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Once you have a cell phone and discontinue your landline...you won't be included in the next directory edition.

Need Help? Let's chat.