cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open letter to Public Mobile, Telus

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Hello Public Mobile, and by extension Telus, the owner of Public Mobile.

I am a subscriber of your prepaid service since July of 2016.  I have been a very happy customer, and I’ve enjoyed the service provided to me via your plans, the Community, and the Moderators and other staff who interact with the subscribers of this service.

I write you today, as it has once again become rediculous the way new subscribers are having problems activating new services, existing subscribers are having failed AutoPay renewals, failed plan changes, and everyone is having difficulty figuring out how long they will need to wait for their issues to be dealt with successfully.

It is beyond belief that there is no communication on a daily basis at this point, about what is going on.  There are problems with the website interface in the Selfserve portal, the forgotten password process has been ineffective for the better part of my time with your service, and the current delays are creeping up daily.  I would not be surprised if folks are now waiting in excess of 96 hours for initial response to support requests to the Moderator_Team.

You really need to stop offering these fantastic promotions until you get your technology fixed.  This is insane.  I’m happy I’m here, but I can’t recommend my friends to come here until you get your ducks in a row.

99 REPLIES 99

lemew07
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

just a quick note I had trouble signing in. The system would not take my entire email address it stopped at .c and not .com . I cleared my browsing history and it worked fine. hope this helps Ada

EdmondY
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I mean when Public Mobile works, it awesome.  It just works and, because I'm on the $10 limited plan with rewards and too much credit on the account, I haven't spent a penny after my activation.  However when Public Mobile doesn't, it's sometimes hard to get the help that's required.  It's not too bad for myself, however, as I supply everything required to access the account within the first message and I've been lucky to get replies within a day.

xbullet
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I love PM, the service is great when it's working. However these are not new problems. I had two lines with PM & just this past week activated a new account. All super smooth online with creating & activating the account, but there was NO WAY the SIM would register on PM network. After 3 days the extremely hard worked (maybe overwhelmed is a better discription) finally advised a technical issue at their end. It was resolved days after my initial message by the technical people.

The PM community is fantastic, so many users offering their help & knowledgeable, I only hope to help someone near as much. The REAL PROBLEM is that only Moderators, understandably so,  can resolve account issues and get technical matters. Our phones, in many cases are literally lifelines, and as such there should be a mechanism in place to resolve those service issues in a much more timely fashion.

A few suggestions: How about a real time estimate of a reply time when you initially send your PM to a moderator. Suggestion that normal reply time is normally under 2 hours is simply a disservice. Maybe a tag line for some issues that prevent your service might help prioritize messages ie: @autopay_failed, @sim_not_registering, @activation_failed, etc. Another thing is when a moderator gets your issue resolved, the time your service was not available should be automatically added back, at least this way you feel you're getting back what you initially paid for.

Just a few thoughts, but like I said at the start PM is absolutely great when it's working!!

DWood

I know. That’s why I’m waiting around here...

DWood

No worries, friend. Cheers.

@DWood wrote:

You need to pay attention. I said I wanted to add the cheapest plan just to keep the number active while I port it to Koodo. 

Cheapest plan is $10 50 texts and talk min ($8 with AutoPay). Since your plan is now expired/suspended, you must contact the Moderator_Team with your account info to have it changed.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DWood wrote:

You need to pay attention. I said I wanted to add the cheapest plan just to keep the number active while I port it to Koodo. 

Like I wondered...it seems I mis-read.

Cheers

DWood

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DWood wrote:

The actual cell service is fine on 4g, no probs there! I was happy with it. It’s the online portal that’s crud. The reason why I didn’t renew, ummmm... because I’m leaving...

If you're leaving then why did you seemingly try to downgrade? Maybe I mis-read something. You mis-understood the change plan instructions. If your plan expired then changing (downgrading in your case) needs a mod. If you're current then you can change it now or at renewal.

DWood

The actual cell service is fine on 4g, no probs there! I was happy with it. It’s the online portal that’s crud. The reason why I didn’t renew, ummmm... because I’m leaving...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DWood wrote:

I read somewhere on this confusing site that when you downgrade a mod has to do it. I tried more than six times, reading and re reading the instructions on changing a plan. Whatever though, I’m only keeping the number active until I port over the Koodo in the next few days, ordered a MORE expensive plan than I have here, on a postpaid plan, with an IPhone at no upfront cost. Public Won’t be seeing another 72$ Payment from me again, moderator help or not. I’m fine with changing my phone number, and paying a lot more for it to get away from this crud for good. 

Maybe it becomes crud if one doesn't top up their account for renewal.

This is a low budget, hands on, pre-paid cell service. The ones here are happy to be paying less.

But admitted, I might move to Koodo for that $15 base plan and pick up those add-ons that rollover like here.

DWood

I read somewhere on this confusing site that when you downgrade a mod has to do it. I tried more than six times, reading and re reading the instructions on changing a plan. Whatever though, I’m only keeping the number active until I port over the Koodo in the next few days, ordered a MORE expensive plan than I have here, on a postpaid plan, with an IPhone at no upfront cost. Public Won’t be seeing another 72$ Payment from me again, moderator help or not. I’m fine with changing my phone number, and paying a lot more for it to get away from this crud for good. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DWood wrote:

I agree totally and frustratingly!!!! I’m downgrading my plan..that is if a moderator would get back to me on it, as it’s not something the user can do on self serve. It’s been about six hours now since I posted in the community for help. Loving this sooo much. 

There's a function in self-serve that lets you change your plan to something else. You can opt to do it now or wait until your renewal. I think I've read that if you change it before the end of the term that you lose money...or something.

DWood

I agree totally and frustratingly!!!! I’m downgrading my plan..that is if a moderator would get back to me on it, as it’s not something the user can do on self serve. It’s been about six hours now since I posted in the community for help. Loving this sooo much. 

jingsz

didn't see this answer in other answers - WOW! Mobile boutique stores

esperanto41

I don't know if my credit card glitch was a PM algorithm, or human. MasterCard told me there was no blockage at their end. Meanwhile, mod Ashley confronted the problem, sent new paperwork to PM, restored my service for the duration, and I was able to pay the $6.00 balance online with my MasterCard. That was the nick of time, because I was already looking into PM alternatives. PM almost lost one user and two potential ones. Have a Bravo, Ashley.

tazzy_s

I had issues initlally that threw generic error, likely timing out after abt 15 mins or that. I redid the process and was successful. 

tazzy_s

If your credit card works everywhere but public mobile, what is the specific error if anything and have you contacted your cc company to see if there was a block for that transaction as some certain transactions can get blocked by your cc company for certain things , especially for transactions not usually made on the card. 

@kav2001c wrote:

@stonechucker

I'd argue some more clarity as to what each brands goals are is required

It is beyond bizarre to me the way the Public-Koodo migration battles are going right now

It is actually CHEAPER for a client to walk into a Walmart, pay for a SIM activate on Public

Go home then port that number over to Koodo

I mean really; WHY??? Cat Surprised

They are literally fighting each other at this point and tons of rumours being thrown out by store reps about Public closing etc is not good

Sales repsreps  been saying that for years and these won't be Telus stores it will be "authorized"dealers .I don't see on going anywhere it is perfect for a lot of people and Telus won't want to lose that to Bell or Rogers

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

alhaha

Dear Prospective customers,

Public Mobile again has dropped three calls in a matter of 3 months. I have subscribed to the province wide unlimited talk plan and have paid my bills on time every single month.

Now I am trying to contact my home number in Vancouver, and the phone recording says, "Hi, Public Mobile here, sorry, talk is not included in your current plan. If you would like this service, you can easily change your plan at selfserve.publicmobile.ca". But I am already paying for this service. And this outage can last for 1 week and happening more and more frequently. (3 times now in a matter of 3 months) I have a medical emergency and needs to contact my family. And I still could not access my family members. Moderator does NOT respond to messages despite pleas.

I would seriously advise anybody against using this service.

@Alan_K wrote:

@stonechucker

Thank you for your honest feedback.

We understand your frustration with the various ongoing issues you’ve discussed, and we are actively working to get permanent fixes. Often, the problem is more complicated than anticipated and takes time to test the solution. As @will13am touched upon, we tend to view the promotions and system fixes as independent, meaning that a greater focus on one does not take away from the focus of the other. In many cases, Public Mobile requires promotions to remain competitive. That said, we are equally dedicated to improving the customer experience here and hope to provide you with good news very soon as we have fixes to the password reset and suspend state plan change in the pipeline.

Based on what we heard from the Community during AutoPay issue earlier this month, we will be communicating any future service-impacting issues as soon as possible to our Community. We hope to provide timely communication for these types of issues moving forward.

Thank your @Alan_K for the clarification.  For so long I was the only heretic here saying that promotions must keep coming irrespective of system problems.  

cappaj
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Have you looked into any sort of auto response when people message Moderator_Team? I think it'd help a lot of customers new and old to be assured that their message was received. And I know the stated policy is a response within 48 hours - but if that automated response could include something about "as of right now, anticipated response time is X hours" thatd be nice too. Oh and if that automated response could say "please don't message multiple times, that just puts you at the bottom of the queue" that'd be good too, a lot of people dont know that and shoot themselves in the foot by repeatedly messaging what can seem like a black hole.

Edit: Removed that last setence, a mod has since clarified that this is not how it actually works.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

@Alan_K wrote:

@stonechucker

We understand your frustration with the various ongoing issues you’ve discussed, and we are actively working to get permanent fixes. Often, the problem is more complicated than anticipated and takes time to test the solution. As @will13am touched upon, we tend to view the promotions and system fixes as independent, meaning that a greater focus on one does not take away from the focus of the other. In many cases, Public Mobile requires promotions to remain competitive. That said, we are equally dedicated to improving the customer experience here and hope to provide you with good news very soon as we have fixes to the password reset and suspend state plan change in the pipeline.

Based on what we heard from the Community during AutoPay issue earlier this month, we will be communicating any future service-impacting issues as soon as possible to our Community. We hope to provide timely communication for these types of issues moving forward.

Thank you for the update Alan.

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@stonechucker

jp2

@will13am I'm not quoting because it's getting to long. I will agree to compromise my suggestion of stopping the promos. My modified stance is that PM should continue with the promos but only one at a time. This way they can spread out the amount of new customers coming in over say 6 months instead 2 months. I realize they look at when the most peoples contracts are ending and other factors but it is clear the system cannot handle a major influx in customers 

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@stonechucker

I'd argue some more clarity as to what each brands goals are is required

It is beyond bizarre to me the way the Public-Koodo migration battles are going right now

It is actually CHEAPER for a client to walk into a Walmart, pay for a SIM activate on Public

Go home then port that number over to Koodo

I mean really; WHY??? Cat Surprised

They are literally fighting each other at this point and tons of rumours being thrown out by store reps about Public closing etc is not good

@stonechucker, great letter.  I posted something very similar in our Oracle area looking for answers to the issues that are still going on and new ones that have popped up.

On the other hand I personally have had very little issues.  The only one is the no text after expiry of  US addon.  Tonight I just ported the 8th number for lines that I am involved in managing/helping and it went smoothly as expected.( Once I checked availablility availability of the correct phone number)

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@jp2 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

I think there simply needs to be fixes to the issues noted in this letter.  The notion of stopping promotions until the fixes are done does not make sense.  It is the growth of the business that emphasize the importance of this service to Telus and therefore the need to invest in the brand.  The more new activations bring up these problems, the more Public Mobile nees to take them seriously and put resources to resolving them.  Bringing new business and fixing problems should not be viewed as mutually exclusive but rather two pursuits that are well connected.  @Alan_K@Brooke_C, do you guys care to answer to this open letter?

I think they are probably a little tied up at the moment. I would hope it's all hands on deck.

@will13am I'm going to have to disagree with you; I think @stonechucker is right they need to reduce the promos so the system isn't being overloaded. Also, the company will not be growing when new people aren't able to activate or are mad because support is more than 2 days away so they leave. These people are never going to come back. If you have a highly functioning service and website customers would experience these issues and will be happy. A bad company reputation will not be able to be overcome by a 25 dollar credit.

We have been telling PM about these issues for a while. Think of how many private messages would be have been averted if the password reset was working. If this can't be fixed it might be time to face the facts and build a whole new up to date system.

I will agree with you that inadequate support can conspire to damage reputation that no promo cannot repair.  I still cannot agree that cessation of all promos will be useful in fixing the problems afflicting the self serve site and all the processes involved in setting up and managing an account.  The fall promo was a major shake down of the entire system, identifying all problems and weaknesses.  Subsequent to that promo ending, there was no further promos for a long period of time until early summer when they ran a targeted promo for Freedom customers.  That promo was short lived and did not appear to have mass appeal.  That pretty much summed the promos for 2017.  Much of 2017 should have been opportune for fixing all the bugs flushed out by the 2016 fall promo.  While there were small improvements here and there, much of the major problems remained unresolved.  If  we were to hang onto the excuse that there should be no more promos until all the major system bugs are dealt with, this service would cease to exist long before the bugs are gone.  The reality is that competitive pressure don't go on hold just because the Public Mobile systems are in disrepair.  I maintain that competition drives the promos and fear of lost reputation drives customer service improvements.  Both are continuous and concurrent processes. 

Watoko

@MoreYummy wrote:

These kind of bugs are here for long time, which supposed to be fixed long time ago as well.  They well aware of their existings.  They probably dont put them into first piority.  

Things as important as reset password is there is way over due.

Perhaps they dont mind losing a portion of customers and referral due to these bugs.  Smiley Happy

Seems that way becuase you're right. It's been going on for 3 years now, and if they were substantially losing customers to the point where revenue was affected, they would have likely prioritized and fixed these issues years ago.

esperanto41

Thanks for the reply, Dunkman. Now I've tried Firefox & Firefox incognito. Same old same old, but look at this contradiction on my "Make Payment" page:

"Your account has already enough balance."

"Your service is currently suspended due to insufficient funds."

(I'm on Autopay for the $10/mo. plan, but had to replace my MasterCard on the same day it was stolen abroad on August 1. PM has registered the new number.)

I also contacted my MasterCard provider, and was told PM had been there to verify on August 11; and that MC has no hindrances on my account.

(I posted in Stonechucker's open letter, as an example of how PM can lose one or two or three new customers due to sloppy aggravating bugs in their payment system.)

Need Help? Let's chat.