cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Letter to ALL prospective customers and CRTC

alhaha
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dear Prospective customers,

Public Mobile again has dropped three calls in a matter of 3 months. I have subscribed to the province wide unlimited talk plan and have paid my bills on time every single month.

Now I am trying to contact my home number in Vancouver, and the phone recording says, "Hi, Public Mobile here, sorry, talk is not included in your current plan. If you would like this service, you can easily change your plan at selfserve.publicmobile.ca". But I am already paying for this service. And this outage can last for 1 week and happening more and more frequently. (3 times now in a matter of 3 months) I have a medical emergency and needs to contact my family. And I still could not access my family members. Moderator does NOT respond to messages despite pleas.

I would seriously advise anybody against using this service.

16 REPLIES 16

tazzy_s

Oh well. I grabbed the info off the site, whether it's up to date or not is not my control.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tazzy_s wrote:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-is-Province-wide-calling/td-p/2404

Provincial calling means that you can make outgoing calls to any number within your home province. Plus, you will receive all incoming calls from across Canada regardless of the province where they originate.

When travelling out of your home province you can make outgoing calls to any number within that province but you will not receive any incoming calls, including those from your home province.

For example, if you lived in B.C.

In Canada, the caller pay for long distance charge.  Therefore, you can receive any call from any one in the world without incuring long distance charge.

Province wide calling means no long distance charge while you are in your home province  calling any number located in your home province.  If your PM number is a BC area code number, you can call any BC area code number in BC without long distance charge.

There will be long distance charge if you are in AB and calling a BC number because you are not calling from your home province - BC.  Since PM is a prepaid service, you need long distance add-on in order making a call from AB to BC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alhaha wrote:

I live in BC and phoning to a city in BC.

The number is nothing unusual. It is only a 604 number

Language is a funny thing. So are trying to make the call from and in BC? Living in BC is saying something specific for this conversation. Whether you're making the call from somewhere else like another province is what we're trying to nail down.

Are you willing to share what the prefix is that you're trying to call?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tazzy_s that info is out of date.

When in Canada and while you still have remaining plan minutes, you can receive calls from anywhere in the world, regardless of whether you have a Long Distance Add-On.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Plans-amp-Add-Ons/ta-p/250167

alhaha

I live in BC and phoning to a city in BC.

The number is nothing unusual. It is only a 604 number

tazzy_s

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-is-Province-wide-calling/td-p/2404

Provincial calling means that you can make outgoing calls to any number within your home province. Plus, you will receive all incoming calls from across Canada regardless of the province where they originate.

When travelling out of your home province you can make outgoing calls to any number within that province but you will not receive any incoming calls, including those from your home province.

For example, if you lived in B.C.

@tazzy_s, you are wrong about province wide.

It does not matter which province you are connected to a tower in, you can always call a number in that province.  So a Toronto number can call while sitting in a lounge in Vancouver, to a local cab company to hire a taxi.

That same Toronto cell phone, in the same location, could not call back to Ontario, unless they have LD addon minutes.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Letters to the CRTC are not delivered through this public forum.  They have a website of their own.  TBH, this letter would not get very far even if properly delivered to the CRTC.  There are way too many variables to involved with a drop call and there is absolutely nothing presented which suggest Public Mobile is in violation of the wireless code.  That is what the CRTC looks after. 

tazzy_s

Province wide means you get unlimited talk in the province you live in, so if you don't live in B.C then it wouldn't be applicable,then you'd need to switch to a plan with Canada-wide calling. You would need to change your plan at the selfserve.publicmobile.ca and sign into your account to do so. If need be, you may need to send a private message to the moderators for assistance versus using the public boards. 3 calls dropped total in 3 months is actually decent, it could be a lot worse. The information about the self serve option , help via community chat and the plans are clearly listed on the website. Hope this information helps you. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alhaha:

Can I say it this way to try to get this straight?

Over a 3 month span, on 3 occassions that last about a week, you try to phone the same number and you get that message? And the rest of the time it works fine?

Could you share the area code and prefix? Maybe it's something like 604-534. Don't provide the last four digits.

You say you have the province-wide plan?

What province?

And where (generally) are you trying to call from?

@alhaha wrote:

It does not allow you to dial the number for about a week each time though.

Hmm, I never had any number blocked for any period of time, even after getting that message...

alhaha

The whole week, you constantly dialed the number and constantly not able to reach that number no matter how hard you try in a given week. Wouldn't that be concerning?

alhaha

It does not allow you to dial the number for about a week each time though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alhaha wrote:
Moderator does NOT respond to messages despite pleas.

Did you perhaps send multiple private messages to them in a short amount of time? If so then you will be constantly dropping to the bottom of the queue. Seems odd. But there it is.

Without giving away the actual phone number you're trying to reach...is it a well known area code and also prefix? Like say 604-534 etc. Or is it a new area code and/or prefix?

3 dropped calls in 3 months doesn't seem like hair on fire time just yet. In an hour sure. In a day probably. But 3 months? You know this is radio communications right?

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

@alhaha wrote:

"Hi, Public Mobile here, sorry, talk is not included in your current plan. If you would like this service, you can easily change your plan at selfserve.publicmobile.ca"

Sometimes you get this mesage when unconventional caracters are dialed. For example for one of my contacts, I had "XXX-XXX-XXXX (mother)" and "XXX-XXX-XXXX (father)" listed as their number, and if tried to call them I would get the same message, because of the letters and parenthesis I guess. I removed the letters from the "phone numbers" field and now everything works.

This is also the case if you try to dial *67 before a number instead of using your phone settings; it won't work and you'll get the same message.

I am not sure if this is your problem or not, but make sure you only have numbers dialed when you are trying to call 😉

As a side note, CRTC will definitively not see your message here/do anything about it... If you have a complain it needs to go through their official channels...

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

I would like to add my positive experience to this post. I have been with public mobile for 21 months and have had a hand in managing our helping with 8 lines ported to this service. Bi have never had any issues with the service except for a short time but recurrent texts from the expiry of the US add-on. Ask I can say is do your research and when entering information make sure it is accurate and correct. PM is a great provider that can save you alot of money

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.