cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Communities more aware of their rights and informed about decisions ?

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

(Please Don't merge this with the response of Dave, Just leave it in discussion)

We have been all under a lot of mental stress about the mess that happened. But that showed a lot of new stuff that I personnaly was not aware of before or underestimating. 

• A phone company without a phone number works and had good plans, but the results of that is an informed online community that is very aware of their rights, and is able of coordinated response as well as continually following and knowing their stuff. 
  • Major hikes to force a move from pre-paid to post paid is not well seen and very bad especially if your target is most (if not the big majority ) of your core subscribers, just for the sole purpose of raising ARPU. Maybe most people ignored the previous prices hikes because there was the call center excuse, but the last move was just bad.
  • Public mobile just lost the major thing they had, REPUTATION , it went downhill, it is unfortunate that it took hundreds (if not thousands of complaints to the CCTS to have a response)   
  • With all respect to who ever is running PM,  @Dave_M and others :the following statements could not be wrong -er-  "After sending out an offer to select customers" You mean everyone with the promo not just select,  "we have always been proud of our transparency, and of our commitment to our customers" Unfortunately, I will go ahead and say at least for this last mess,this statement was completely incorrect, it took 100+ pages in both the community and major sites like RFD to even make a statement. PM is entirely online, an announcement should have been made not leave it out there for speculations and just force us to accept the status quo . 
  • " While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today." Whether it is 10$ increase per month or just 1$ people will still complaint and speak online. It is really unfortunate that it needed a shock and big NO, STOP to send the message. 

While I can comment on every sentence it was used in the letter, I would like to apologize to mods since I believe all of this mess is out of their hands and they have no control over this situation. Thank you mods for your great work, and I apologize on behalf of some angry costumers, you should have never been the target of complaints. 

Also a little note to fellow Oracles : I am sorry for the mess you have been involved in, big thanks to @Luddite, and @ShawnC13 , @will13am@SD08,  @kav2001c and the others sorry for not naming all . 

If Oracles are not getting the full info and not getting heard, then what is the point if all of this. 

And as our good friend @will13am says: Only be loyal to your wallet, no loyalty to any brand" whether that is a phone company or telecom company.

While I stopped recommending PM a while ago, I have more reason now to not even mention them, but I also acknowledge that direct staff aka: Mods, Oracles and other community members were top notch and are of great help and top quality.

11 REPLIES 11

shaner82
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Bang on.  PM attracts a certain type of person, and that person is very vocal and educated.  PM will need to ensure they follow the law to a T, or they'll get bent over hard.  I'm sure they learned their lesson though, next time they'll do it different.  A price increase is coming, one way or another

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zhadj030wrote:

I like to think of myself as the lurker that reads almost everything but dont intervene much, unless something really needs to be said 🙂

Well @zhadj030, i think you should 'intervene' more around here. 

@mjswrote:

Consumers owe it to themselves and others to stand up and hold companies like Public Mobile accountable for their actions. Cosumers also need to educate themselves about their rights so that are are aware of what businesses can and cannot do. Laws, codes, acts, agreements, and regulations exist for a reason. We live in a country where businesses have certain rights but consumers have a lot more. Dave's post does provide a satisfactory conclusion for the current situation, but it does not provide any carification if the same predicament will re-occur or not. His statement "While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today" is an ambigious and open ended statement that raises concerns whether this situation will repeat again or not and if this resolution is temprary. Public Mobile recognized the legal ramifications that would have resulted if they decided to proceed in implementing the price increase, therefore his statement is meant to be more for "damage control" than as a recognition of their accountability and acknowledgement of liability. I would encourage everybody to keep a close eye on future events and changes that may take place in order to ensure that your rights are not violated again. This event has for sure opened the door for future scrutiny into Public Mobile's practices.

@mjs I wholeheartedly agree. 

I also believe that laws are lacking the enforcement, and every canadian knows that, sure rules and laws are here but certains companies are bending them as they wish. @makkahn28  had an interesting point in his comment  " like HOW Loblaws and the Bread Price Fixing" .

The price is definetly going up , or at least that is the plan, the question is when and how the reaction will be. Until then we will see how PM will be open about that, because their stunt of just send an email and let them deal with it did not work. 

crtowns

@zhadj030 great comments and insight.

mjs

Consumers owe it to themselves and others to stand up and hold companies like Public Mobile accountable for their actions. Cosumers also need to educate themselves about their rights so that are are aware of what businesses can and cannot do. Laws, codes, acts, agreements, and regulations exist for a reason. We live in a country where businesses have certain rights but consumers have a lot more. Dave's post does provide a satisfactory conclusion for the current situation, but it does not provide any carification if the same predicament will re-occur or not. His statement "While all good things must come to an end at some point – that point is not today" is an ambigious and open ended statement that raises concerns whether this situation will repeat again or not and if this resolution is temprary. Public Mobile recognized the legal ramifications that would have resulted if they decided to proceed in implementing the price increase, therefore his statement is meant to be more for "damage control" than as a recognition of their accountability and acknowledgement of liability. I would encourage everybody to keep a close eye on future events and changes that may take place in order to ensure that your rights are not violated again. This event has for sure opened the door for future scrutiny into Public Mobile's practices.

@Anonymouswrote:

@zhadj030, what do you mean by 'unknown members like myself'.  You seem to be a veteran around here - according to your profile (posts/bravos)

I like to think of myself as the lurker that reads almost everything but dont intervene much, unless something really needs to be said 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@zhadj030, what do you mean by 'unknown members like myself'.  You seem to be a veteran around here - according to your profile (posts/bravos)

@will13amwrote:

@zhadj030, well spoken.  Definitely, there will need to be some fence mending and other triage type activities in the coming days.  If the moderator team are asked to be human shields, they will unfortunately receive a lot of our venom.  Think of it as an occupational hazard.  If we are all reasonable and understanding that there was nothing personal in all the attacks, everything will be fine in the long run. 

@will13am Yes I would love to believe that community members were classy in their private messages to mods but yes as you said : occupational hazard.  Unfortunately I doubt that Mods or you folks were properly equipped for the hazardous materials 

@Anonymouswrote:

Quite well said, @zhadj030.  Especially regarding the mods, who were seriously caught in the middle of it.  As for the Oracles, I agree that they too were caught in this, and reacted in what I think was an exceptional manner.  They helped, guided, advised, and maintained their calm.

Which is very reassuring to unknown memebrs like myself and others. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@zhadj030, well spoken.  Definitely, there will need to be some fence mending and other triage type activities in the coming days.  If the moderator team are asked to be human shields, they will unfortunately receive a lot of our venom.  Think of it as an occupational hazard.  If we are all reasonable and understanding that there was nothing personal in all the attacks, everything will be fine in the long run. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quite well said, @zhadj030.  Especially regarding the mods, who were seriously caught in the middle of it.  As for the Oracles, I agree that they too were caught in this, and reacted in what I think was an exceptional manner.  They helped, guided, advised, and maintained their calm.

Need Help? Let's chat.