cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus One LTE signal strength and avg speed On PM

nmr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have installed LTE discovery app on my OnePlus One and it shows average signal strength on band 4 as -115.0 dBm. I don't understand if it's a fair or good strength.

Also, average LTE speed shows as 18.9 Mbps DL and 3.8 Mbps UL. Is it a good speed?

Any one got better speed with this model on PM anywhere in or around GTA?

It shows 4G on top right instead of LTE. Is it normal for this model?

17 REPLIES 17

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@ION9 wrote:

Yes,  the first time I connected to PM I had to set them manually because my Internet was not working. 
But technically speaking 4g is better than LTE. 🙂  Long  story short, LTE was the first generation they branded as 4g. While being faster than 3g it wasn't fast enough to qualify for 4g.

You could however try looking in your "Mobile network settings" for "Preferred network type". I have 2g, 3g and LTE(recommend) listed. 

Do you even have LTE listed? Screenshot_2016-11-03-08-26-18.png

No, 4G is not better than LTE. Not in the real world because we don't have true 4G network. So, if your phone shows 4G, it's either LTE (good scenario) or HSPA (bad scenario).

So let's be clear, you are never ever better off with your phone showing 4G and not LTE.

nmr

@Mintoo It doesn't show as option in network settings. Only options for my OS version are: 2G, 3G and 4G (recommended).

Mintoo
@nmr make sure your settings for preferred network type i s set to LTE

nmr

@Mintoo wrote:
I'm running my OPO on CM13 and it says LTE. I get around 40-60 in the GTA. Latest test was 60

That's very good speed. Not sure why 13.1.1 shows as 4G though.

I wish to see 60Mbps DL speed in certain locations at least.

Mintoo
I'm running my OPO on CM13 and it says LTE. I get around 40-60 in the GTA. Latest test was 60

nmr

@ION9 Nice to see your data settings. Mine doesn't show LTE. It shows 4G. Could be due to Cyanogen OS version.

All,

I tried speed test outdoors in Toronto and got 40.5 Mbps download and 23.3 Mbps upload.

Happy to see this on OPO as it cought up with today's tech as far as LTE chip is concerned.

ION9

Here are my APN settings of you're wondering.

Screenshot_2016-11-03-08-38-49.pngScreenshot_2016-11-03-08-38-55.png Screenshot_2016-11-03-08-38-42.png

ION9

Yes,  the first time I connected to PM I had to set them manually because my Internet was not working. 
But technically speaking 4g is better than LTE. 🙂  Long  story short, LTE was the first generation they branded as 4g. While being faster than 3g it wasn't fast enough to qualify for 4g.

You could however try looking in your "Mobile network settings" for "Preferred network type". I have 2g, 3g and LTE(recommend) listed. 

Do you even have LTE listed? Screenshot_2016-11-03-08-26-18.png

nmr

My OPO is on Android Marshmallow CyanogenOS 13.1.1

APN settings were automatic and I did not change them.

Did you change? @ION9

ION9
Your speed is pretty decent. I get way worse at -100dBm. But what android version are you on? I have the OPO on kitkat 4.4.4 and it shows LTE.
Also, have you set up your APNs? I remember it causing me issues the first time at PM.

bryanbreguet

@nmr wrote:

It's indoors but not a concrete building

You might be far from the tower. There are many possible reasons.

How is it when you are outdoor? At various locations?

One thing to remember also is the LTE band used can have an impact. You said band 4, this is high frequency. It means it doesn't travel through walls (especially concrete, but it's not the case at your home) as well as lower frequencies.

All I'm saying is that unless you get a much better signal by putting the SIM into another phone, I wouldn't worry. I'd suspect the OPO to have an average radio (hey, they couldn't have high-end components everywhere).

Did you use to have a better signal with your previous provider?

Finally, if this is when you're at home, you could try to force the phone to switch to 3G. I'm sure your signal will be stronger and I imagine you have wifi for data at home. But honestly, as I said, if your connection is stable, don't worry about it, it's most likely perfectly normal.

nmr

It's indoors but not a concrete building

bryanbreguet

@nmr wrote:

I have installed LTE discovery app on my OnePlus One and it shows average signal strength on band 4 as -115.0 dBm. I don't understand if it's a fair or good strength.

Also, average LTE speed shows as 18.9 Mbps DL and 3.8 Mbps UL. Is it a good speed?

Any one got better speed with this model on PM anywhere in or around GTA?

It shows 4G on top right instead of LTE. Is it normal for this model?

That's a fairly weak signal. But it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with that. Is that indoor? Do you live in a concrete building? I get this reception in mine because the tower is on the wrong side of my building.

As long as your connection is stable and your data is fast, it's fine. Some phones have better radio signals than others, but I don't remember the OPO to be known for weak radio signal.

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

ok... it should soon display LTE ...as explained...we had a few people with the same question/issue, and after a short while the phone started displaying LTE ... but again, each phone is different..some show LTE..some show 4G ...some shoe LTE+ ( which is advanced LTE ) some show 4Ga ...as long as the speeds are up to snuff....

nmr

I don't use an app to get LTE. I used it to confirm if I am getting LTE bandwidth as it shows 4G.

jheili99

and 4G is actually LTE .... 4g is refered to as the industry standard and LTE referes to the bandwith used..it eventually will display LTE sooner or later....

cheers

jheili99

hi..

i guess that is considered a good speed considering you use an app to get lte.... 18 mb/s is very decent......

Need Help? Let's chat.